Guitar Amplification/Boutique Pedals (1 Viewer)

Big Jilm

4 of a Kind
Reaction score
Hey guys, I am close to being in the market for a new amp....and maybe some new boutique pedals. Looking to improve my tone and make my guitar sound like the voice of God (or better). I play mostly jazz-blues-rock-funk fusion and less often hard rock or even metal sometimes. I suppose what I am saying, is that I want my setup to be extremely versatile with a wide range of sounds and styles without sparing quality anywhere. I am currently running a PRS custom 24 through a Furman pedal board (see pic for pedals) to a Fender Twin Amp. Pedal board has Planet Waves custom cut cables and the 2 main cables are Mogami cables (yes, I believe Mogami cables are worth the extra $$ if you are wondering). Anyone have experience with and/or own any of the following, or something comparable?

AMPS

• Matchless DC30 2x12 (highly interested)
  • Bad Cat (probably the Fat Cat 50R) 2x12 (highly interested)
  • Vox AC30 2x12 (highly interested)
  • Mesa Boogie Lone Star 2x12 (highly interested) or lone star special.....big difference??
  • Soldano (any variety)
  • Orange (any variety)
  • Mad Professor (any variety)

Pedals
  • Electro Harmonix
  • Mad Professor
  • Lovepedal
  • Red Witch
  • Pigtronix
  • Retrosonic
  • There are so many....have one you LOVE? Or a type of pedal that SHOULD/NEEDS to be in my lineup?? Any that HAVE to go in your opinion? ie. Boss pedals??

pictures folder one 009.jpgDSC02803.jpg

Thanks in advance if anyone has any input.

-J

Last edited:
You're clearly in a different league than I am but I have five Boss pedals and they work great for me. No complaints and I love the variety I can get from the various combinations. Nice finish on the PRS, also!

Yup I'm in the little league to your MLB. Having said that, my fender super 60 amp with my partscaster strat through a tube screamer give me a killer bluesy/rock. I know it's very SRV wannabe, but hey if your gonna copy anyone.....

You're clearly in a different league than I am but I have five Boss pedals and they work great for me. No complaints and I love the variety I can get from the various combinations. Nice finish on the PRS, also!

TY on the PRS. What I like about Boss is their durability. For the most part their pedals have never really amazed me though. The Digital Delay/Reverb pedal works for me because I always have it set to a subtle level. Plus I like my outter-most pedals on the board to be very durable. The EQ is there just because I have never bothered to see if there is something better out there....I am sure there is. Now the Boss tuner; IMO, it is by FAR their best pedal. Not kidding, LOVE that tuner!!

I have only lived in Central OR for over 6 months now. When I first got here I scoured the town for guitar shops but I was pretty disappointed, until this morning. I found a shop that carries tons of boutique pedals and amps such as Matchless and Bad Cat, etc....thus, this thread seeking insight to these brands. Not sure how I missed these guys, unless they are new of course. Killing me today because they are open M-F! Anyway, I know the best thing to do is take all my gear down there and try the amps in question side by side including my Fender Twin...just to see. Definitely hitting them up this Wednesday. Any info anyone has please share!

Have you tried a Dumble or a Trainwreck? People in the know say they are the best. If you can find one. I love my '73 PTP wired Marshall super lead. Can't beat a vintage Marshall imo. Just recently purchased a PRS (custom amp modded by Paul himself). The amp was bought direct from the factory...love it, but the vintage marshall kicks its ass. PRS amps are very very nice...Doug Sewell designs.

Hey Big Jilm, I play in a Jazz Fusion group called South Meets North, I play 5 string fretted and fretless basses. I can tell you that our guitar player uses a VOX AC 30 2x12 and he loves it. Hard to find an amp that allows you to dial in a sweet clean tone. Thats the key for me, everything else can be had by tweaks to a pedal board, but that great clear tone has to be there as a base,

www.soundcloud.com/southmeetsnorth

I'll send you pics of my 2 custom basses later.

Cheers,
Jeff

I have never really achieved proficiency with any instruments, but damn - those basses make me want to play some bass.

I have always liked Marshal amps. Boss peddles are the "Boss" in my humble opinion....

GL, looks like you already have a great set up..

Jilm,

Don't have much experience with pedals. Always loved the sound I get plugged straight in to my amp. If your ever on this side of the country, give me a shout. The PRS factory is a stones throw from my house. If you get a chance, you should come out for an experience PRS one year. I had a blast last year.

-Duff

I have always liked Marshal amps. Boss peddles are the "Boss" in my humble opinion....

GL, looks like you already have a great set up..

Yeah, certain Boss pedals will ALWAYS have a spot in my lineup. Particularly the tuner (best tuner ever!) and the reverb/delay. The EQ is more than suffice as well. OUTSTANDING pedals. The ones I really want to trade out are the Fulltone OCD (not the heavy distortion I am looking for), the electro harmonix soul food (not nearly good enough for mid range distortion/crunch....tone is awful). The rest are permanent staples on my board.

With regard to bass, I have finally obtained a GREAT bass. Now, I am looking at the following to complete the bass rig:
  • Gallien-Krueger 1001 RB Bi Amp
  • David Eden D410XLT Speaker Cabinet
  • Mogami Cables
  • Gator GPT-PWR Powered Pedal Tote Pedal Board
    • MXR Pedals/Boss (with Mogami patch cables)
      • Boss Tuner (TU-3)
      • Bass Chorus Deluxe (M83)
      • Bass Octave Deluxe (M288)
      • Bass Envelope Filter (M82)

Anyone still wondering why I am selling so many chips? LOL

Last edited:
Agreed on the tuner. I love my boss TU-3. Playing in a punk band back in the day, that thing took a lickn' and still to this day has never let me down.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom