Greetings from Japan (2 Viewers)

bluff0809

Waiting List
Reaction score
Before anyone gets too excited, I’m actually American but in Japan for work.

I’ve been here for a little while and used to join a monthly tournament with some friends that fell apart after our host had twins. Thought I’d take up the challenge of hosting and started looking at Amazon for chips. A few short Google searches later and I ended up here, happily bounding down the rabbit hole with you folks!

As an introduction into the world of poker and as a testament of my seriousness, I’ve bought the movie Rounders about a month ago and watched it about five times already (them’s rookie numbers, I know). I’m now on the hunt for a cash and tourney set hoping to jump start our friendly home games of about 8 players. Hopefully my obsession will stop there before the misses catches on to my shenanigans but we’ll see…

Cheers!

Thanks, everyone! Much appreciated.

Hello and welcome. Where are you from originally? Visiting Japan is on my bucket list.
I was working near Seattle before coming here but grew up in a small town about 2-3 hrs south of there.

Do take the opportunity if you ever have a chance to come to Japan. Google Maps is your friend with the public transportation system and nearly everything is bilingual making it easy to get around. I’m still mostly Japanese illiterate (both reading and speaking) but manage to get by well enough. Most restaurants have an English menu so you won’t starve or have no idea what you ordered until it shows up. Although that happened once when a friend and I went to an izakaya without an English menu and we blindly ordered a plate of raw onions.

Welcome! You’ve come to the right place to learn as much about poker chips as you can take. There’s tons of info here, don’t feel bad about posting about something that’s already been asked - happens all the time. But it would make sense to search on a topic first I suppose. Anyway good luck with your game and your chip search.

I’ve leaned two things since I’ve been here for about 2 years-

Denominations on your chips - it’s not an absolute objective fact that this is the way, but it’s essentially as close to an objective fact as you can get. If you decide to buy chips, just get the denoms on them. Trust us.

Two - get samples because it’s all subjective. The material, the molding, the inlays, the hot stamps, the edge marks, the colors - all of it. So get what you like most, which will likely change haha as you learn more.

Welcome from California!!
oreo-eat.gif

Thanks, everyone! Much appreciated.

I was working near Seattle before coming here but grew up in a small town about 2-3 hrs south of there.

Do take the opportunity if you ever have a chance to come to Japan. Google Maps is your friend with the public transportation system and nearly everything is bilingual making it easy to get around. I’m still mostly Japanese illiterate (both reading and speaking) but manage to get by well enough. Most restaurants have an English menu so you won’t starve or have no idea what you ordered until it shows up. Although that happened once when a friend and I went to an izakaya without an English menu and we blindly ordered a plate of raw onions.
Cry Crying GIF by Pudgy Penguins

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.
Back
Top Bottom