Green Jack 25c Fracs? (1 Viewer)

BearMetal

4 of a Kind
Supporter
Reaction score
OK, so I'm trying to pump the brakes a bit on chip spending. Nevertheless, I really do need a RHC 25c chip that's not pink or white. I was planning on buying up some used HS Cincy $1s on the cheap and re-labelling them. But that might not work too well if I decide to put my Isle $1s into play. Most of the time, I break out 25c up to $5 that covers my cash games. It's rare to break out a $25 chip, and when I do, it's mostly for shits and giggles.

So, with that said, I already have a rack of minty JACK $25 primaries. Am I f-ing crazy to try to convert these chips (which I probably will never really use) into 25c fracs? (Don't judge me).
  • I was planning to build a milling rig to make my 25c fracs out of hot stamps. But, again, trying to spend less, so if I already have chips, why not relabel?
  • How easy it is to remove the label off of JACKs? I know that there are tons of threads that involves exacto knives, nail polish remover, etc. But I remember reading that there are different degrees of difficulty, and was just wondering where these chips fall.
  • Should I, instead, be looking to overlabel?
  • Lastly, a green 25c chip? Am I bonkers?
jack-25d.jpg
TO
jack-25c.jpg

Yeah! Exactly! I knew you had them! Now I wish I had waited for the watermelons.

So, @JMC9389:
  • Are these overlabelled? Or did you murder the inlay?
  • Gear labels?
Since I'm also in NJ, this is exactly what I'm going for :)

Yeah! Exactly! I knew you had them! Now I wish I had waited for the watermelons.

So, @JMC9389:
  • Are these overlabelled? Or did you murder the inlay?
  • Gear labels?
Since I'm also in NJ, this is exactly what I'm going for :)
There's still two racks on the classifieds at $200 shipped per rack, it's not too late!

Yes, labeled over with Gear unlaminated matte labels!

There's still two racks on the classifieds at $200 shipped per rack, it's not too late!

I'm trying NOT to spend extra money right now :) ... I have the primaries already. I suppose I could sell them and snap up the watermelons and then just be out the difference.

Yes, labeled over with Gear unlaminated matte labels!

In this case, why over label vs inlay removal? It is merely convenience, or is removing this type of inlay stupid hard?

I'm trying NOT to spend extra money right now :) ... I have the primaries already. I suppose I could sell them and snap up the watermelons and then just be out the difference.

In this case, why over label vs inlay removal? It is merely convenience, or is removing this type of inlay stupid hard?
I'll let others weigh in here, but IMO, you don't lose much by overlabeling an RHC chip as you would a THC molded chip. I'm very happy with how the overlabled RHC chips stack, sound, and play. Overlabeled THC's from those that attempted it, have all reported calamitous results, and inlay replacement is the best way (and only way) to change up the inlay of a THC molded chip.

As for selling off the primaries and acquiring the secondaries for the difference, it's your decision, but I will say that $200/rack is less than what I have into mine. It's your decision, but IMO, the secondaries blow the primaries out of the water, having looked at both in person.

So where is this magical watermelon rack for $200?
@FortyMorty had a rack but looks like they just sold today. Darn :(

I saw another rack at $200 in passing, but I'll have to look for the classified ad...

If not, they come up a lot in the classifieds. I know he hasn't been on in a while, but maybe try to PM @flipupchipup . He sold me a rack and I think he still has some left. Dead mint.

The Jack primary $25 are plentiful enough and cheap enough that I would highly suggest doing an inlay replacement vs an overlabel.

Since they are a newer chip they shouldn't be difficult to do. I can experiment on one this weekend if you are genuinely curious.

The Jack primary $25 are plentiful enough and cheap enough that I would highly suggest doing an inlay replacement vs an overlabel.

Since they are a newer chip they shouldn't be difficult to do. I can experiment on one this weekend if you are genuinely curious.
If they’re anything like Jack Snappers...
Hop, skip and a jump dem racks is done!
On average time, easily killed 2 Snappers for every 1 of anything else I’ve butchered :tup:

I am genuinely curious! I've got nothing but time and practically no experience.

Jack $25 converted to $0.25 looks just fine. Just don't try to use it at the same time as another green $25. Maybe find a few yellow base chips to convert to a Jack $20 if you need.

Yes, precisely my thoughts. I'd convert another chip into a $20 at some point in the future when inflation finally forces my game to go higher.

Inlay replacement > Label over. Always and forever. The only times i can see otherwise is if its an old/historical chip in which case save the history. Label over look completely fine for RHC chips but you can always tell there is a label on top which irks me a little. Inlay replacement is much more clean and natural looking, especially if the rest of the set is normal.

@BearMetal

If you want to pick up tips and advice regarding chip murder, you want to follow along with @grantc54 . He's a master of this stuff. He taught me all I know thus far!!!

@BearMetal

If you want to pick up tips and advice regarding chip murder, you want to follow along with @grantc54 . He's a master of this stuff. He taught me all I know thus far!!!
I found a few threads that discuss it and include some videos too. I'll see if I can find any of his posts related to it! Thanks, Nav!

@Jeevansluck ok, so the most I've found from searching on chip murder can be summed up with:
  • The inlay is either paper or vinyl.
  • After cutting a pie wedge and then pulling the laminated part off, you can see what it actually is
  • If it's paper, you need to use nail polish remover and then scrape
  • If it's not, then you might be able to pull most of it up depending on adhesion
@grantc54 do you have any specific resources that I can look at for murdering? I've upgraded the JACK primary to JACK secondary watermelons, but I'm expecting the inlay to be the same. Did you have a chance to murder one to see how hard it is?

@JMC9389 you got me into this mess :) ... but I do love the watermelons. I'm hoping being secondary RHC, they are on the simpler side for murdering.

• Watermelons in hand: check
  • Scalpel, NPR, Band-Aids: check
  • Gear labels on order: check
  • Nasty post drafted blaming @JMC9389 for getting me into this mess: check
Thanks to all who commented here. Murdering should be beginning this week on 100 chips. I will provide updates and before/after pR0n.

@allforcharity, I found your videos very educational in what to expect for the murder. If you've got an any extra RHC tips, let me know.

• Watermelons in hand: check
  • Scalpel, NPR, Band-Aids: check
  • Gear labels on order: check
  • Nasty post drafted blaming @JMC9389 for getting me into this mess: check
Thanks to all who commented here. Murdering should be beginning this week on 100 chips. I will provide updates and before/after pR0n.

@allforcharity, I found your videos very educational in what to expect for the murder. If you've got an any extra RHC tips, let me know.

I'm glad to be of any help whatsoever. Like anything else, it can be a bit of a slow go in the beginning, but you'll get more efficient as you do more and get into the process groove. Remember to take a couple before/after shots to post.

Strangely enough, I have yet to murder an RHC chip. Other than a substantially larger inlay area, I doubt it would otherwise be much different.

Got a barrel done in about an hour. Not bad for my first time. Chip on the left is one of my first ones; lots of scraping and pretty deep gouge marks.

Chip on the right is where I am now; a lot less scraping and shallower initial cut. Vinyl seems to come off uniform on about 80% of them. My hope is that the laminated label will cover the cuts, even the deep ones.

00100lrPORTRAIT_00100_BURST20200813002847392_COVER.jpg

My hope is that the laminated label will cover the cuts, even the deep ones.
Great work! The laminated labels will cover the cuts. The key is to NOT press the labels into the chip super hard, just set it in place and lightly push it down. The glue will hold very strong after a few days.

Great work! The laminated labels will cover the cuts. The key is to NOT press the labels into the chip super hard, just set it in place and lightly push it down. The glue will hold very strong after a few days.
Good thing you mentioned that! I probably would have pressed them in, then run my thumb around it about 5x, then drove my car over it.

Set it and forget it... Gotcha!

Good thing you mentioned that! I probably would have pressed them in, then run my thumb around it about 5x, then drove my car over it.

Set it and forget it... Gotcha!
You can take a blade and smooth out any cuts that are too deep if needed. Great job.

You can take a blade and smooth out any cuts that are too deep if needed. Great job.
I worked on barrel #2 last night. The faces of the chips are certainly a lot better on this barrel. I noticed that I can smooth out the cuts a little by just running my nail over them while I'm rinsing them.

I wouldn't worry about any deep cuts in the inlay. They'll cover up well once labeled over and you won't feel them beneath the label

OK, here's a question that I haven't found a good answer for yet. If I were to lightly oil these beauties, should I do it before or after labels?
  • Before labelling ensures that I don't screw up my new labels (even though they are laminated)
  • After could cause adhesion issues
I've oiled many-a-chip from CCs to Paulsons, but never a Paulson that's been murdered and received a Gear label.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom