Green Jack 25c Fracs? (1 Viewer)

OK, here's a question that I haven't found a good answer for yet. If I were to lightly oil these beauties, should I do it before or after labels?
  • Before labelling ensures that I don't screw up my new labels (even though they are laminated)
  • After could cause adhesion issues
I've oiled many-a-chip from CCs to Paulsons, but never a Paulson that's been murdered and received a Gear label.
@Gear can weigh in here, but I'm pretty certain you can do it before or after applying labels, provided you wait a few days between each step either way. Either let the labels adhere to the blank inlay for a few days, and then oil, or oil first, let dry for a couple of days, and then label. I would prefer to do the latter if I had the choice.

I've started to only make a small cut near the edge (cut towards the edge and flick up the blade before you get there to pop the plastic up). Essentially just get enough to be able to grab and pull off the plastic. This ensures minimal cutting into the chip.
20200814_084110.jpg

20200814_084053.jpg

I've started to only make a small cut near the edge (cut towards the edge and flick up the blade before you get there to pop the plastic up). Essentially just get enough to be able to grab and pull off the plastic. This ensures minimal cutting into the chip.
I actually tried doing just that however my exacto knife is maybe too thin because I'm not able to actually lift up the laminate with it. In order to get it lifted up are you using an exacto knife or a razor blade? I've actually found that the only way that I can get that laminate to lift up is when I make the V cut where it intersects like this. It lifts almost automatically:
00000PORTRAIT_00000_BURST20200814115225377.jpg

Here's a picture of where I currently am with my chips. There's still a v there where I cut but it's very very shallow.
00000PORTRAIT_00000_BURST20200814114831599.jpg

It's done!!! I really want to thank @JMC9389, @allforcharity, @grantc54, @Jeevansluck, @Gear and everyone else on this thread who either helped me along or provided encouragement.

Some Stats:
  • Total time: 6h 37m
  • Actual Project Time: 19 days
  • Chips Murdered: 100
  • Labels sacrificed: 2
  • Cuts/slices/Band-Aids: NONE!?
  • Episodes of Star Trek Watched: 8
  • Children Ignored: 2
  • Pissed off Wives: 1
Would I do it again? Yes, yes I would. I got lucky. The JACK chips were vinyl and very easy to work with. Would I do a whole set? I don't know... I'm really happy with mixed sets, so perhaps the effort isn't worth it for me. I'm very happy converting a cheaper chip into a denomination I'm missing.

I wanted to give a little back to the community. For anyone who finds this thread, here's a video of what worked for me:

And finally, some pR0n:

And before anyone thinks they are a smarty pants:
  • Yes, I know my hands are all cut up in the video. It's from a car amplifier install. I stand by my zero Band-Aids stat.
  • Yes, I did align all the labels. I am that crazy.
  • No, I only have 2 kids. I ignored them both. There isn't some third kid that helped me or anything.

2nd rack update (I've gotten this down to a science now!):
  1. Each chip takes about 63 seconds to de-inlay. The label removal with NPR and quick rinsing is another ~60 seconds.
  2. I've found that if I angle the X-Acto blade as I'm making my first slice, I can put a lot less pressure on it and effectively cut into the inlay laminate but not the chip!
  3. The majority of my chips are coming out with no visible cut marks after the inlay has been removed
While I wait for the 2nd rack's labels to arrive from the wise and powerful Gear, I'm going to lightly oil my first rack now that the adhesive has had a few weeks to cure.

2nd rack is done; took about 2 weeks from buying the rack to fully relabeled. @Gear labels rock as usual and arrived just as I finished the murder.

Oiled em up, and they're ready to rock... Once it's safe again :tdown: But it was a fantastic learning experience. I feel confident that I can tackle those HSIs. Although I'm figuring Gear is about to be swamped with everyone and their mother looking for HSI relabels...

PXL_20200928_022422602.PORTRAIT-01.COVER.jpg

Anyone have a specific NPR that is known safe?

As well as any tips on exacto knife sizing/ types that are preferred?

These look great.

Anyone have a specific NPR that is known safe?

As well as any tips on exacto knife sizing/ types that are preferred?

These look great.
Thanks! I used a Cutex $5 acetone free NPR from Amazon. My only complaint was that it was a little fragrant. Perhaps there's a dye-free brand out there with slightly less odor.

These look great! Does the replacement label cause any sound or feel difference?

I’ve done some overlabeled chips before and they ended up sounding/feeling different than the originals. Hoping the replacement would be closer feel and sound to the original.

These look great! Does the replacement label cause any sound or feel difference?

I’ve done some overlabeled chips before and they ended up sounding/feeling different than the originals. Hoping the replacement would be closer feel and sound to the original.
They don't feel different while handling them. But if you ran your thumb over one, you could tell it was an inlay replacement vs authentic. No difference in sound/shuffling/stacking.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom