Greatest Western movie of all time? (1 Viewer)

Once Upon a Time In The West
Fistful of Dollars
For A few Dollars More
The Good, The Bad and the Ugly
Magnificent Seven
El Mariachi
Desperado

Some Westerns that stand out.

True Grit (John Wayne)
Tombstone (Surprised this doesn't appear more frequently on people's lists.)
The Outlaw Josey Wales
Windwalker -- Check it out.
Young Guns (Another movie that I thought would have more mentions.)
The Shootist (Great western movie, but alas, doesn't seem to be appreciated by many.)
Two Mules for Sister Sara (Disappointed in the ending if I remember correctly.)

Silverado was a favorite of mine when I was younger, but for some reason has lost its shine.

BTW, I've always assumed that name references Rowdy Yates, from Rawhide -- have you ever explained it here?

The Rowdy is not as much from the TV show as the Rawhide is:

Here ya go:

http://www.pokerchipforum.com/threads/origin-of-your-username.5407/#post-42893

I always hoped it was for Rowdy Burns and Rawhide was for the Western themed attraction that used to be North of Scottsdale... But that's just me. :D

Had to google the Scottsdale attraction......interesting. I have an aunt that lives in Phoenix, maybe I'll have to check it out

I forgot a great one. The Cheyene Social Club. It's a western comedy and one of my favorites.

Wild_wild_west_poster.jpg

/thread

Watching a western was almost a Saturday afternoon tradition as a kid.

Top 10 in no particular order:

Once Upon a Time in The West
Rio Bravo
The Searchers
3.10 to Yuma (1957)
Cheyenne Autumn
Fort Apache
Rio Grande
Dances With Wolves
Ulzanas Raid
The Good The Bad and The Ugly

Just Missed the list:

Unforgiven
For a Few Dollars More
The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance
Stagecoach
True Grit (1969)
Duel in The Sun
The Wild Bunch

I'd also argue that the following could be considered westerns and might crack my top 15:

No Country for Old Men
The Alamo
Mad Max (1979)
Star Wars (think about it)

Sure I've missed some favorites.

I'd also argue that the following could be considered westerns and might crack my top 15:

No Country for Old Men
The Alamo
Mad Max (1979)
Star Wars (think about it)

Sure I've missed some favorites.

Definitely agree with these if we broaden the definition. I'd add The Rover as well under these terms.

And even under the traditional classification, one recent one I'd forgotten earlier is Slow West. That was a lot of fun with some excellent performances.

The good the bad and the ugly, tombstone ( Val Kilmer rocks as doc holiday), the unforgiven.

I asked my wife to marry me while watching Blazing Saddles. To this day that’s her memory. She wore a ring from her ex ( the man she had my stepdaughter with) on her right hand. During the movie I asked her to look at it, then handed her back a rock and waited for her to realize what was in her hand.

All of them. I’m not sure why the genre faded, but I was never into them so i guess I can’t complain. I saw young guns and tombstone when I was younger, and I loved them. But I didn’t get into the older westerns until maybe ten years ago. Now I’ll watch them all.

Cowboys with John Wayne really captures the transition from the wild west to the mostly tamed west

Being a longtime Tucsonan, anytime westerns come up, the immediate thought is of Old Tucson Studios located west of town:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Old_Tucson_Studios

Many of the classic westerns, TV and movie alike were filmed there and the immediate surroundings (it's adjacent to the western half of Saguaro National Park, so plenty of scenic vistas available there). A fire in 1995 gutted many of the original sets and despite "rebuilding" the attraction, it never returned to it's original glory with only a handful of movies being filmed there.

It was rather unique going out there and being able to recognize buildings and views from movies while on the property.

(The link above has details on the current state of the property and on the fire. It's a shame that it never really was able to recover after the fire.)

Unforgiven is a top five movie of all time across any category. Best western far and away. Open Range is my #2. Blazing Saddles is fantastic, but I don't consider it a western. It's a parody of westerns.

THE SEARCHERS (1956)
THE MAGNIFICENT 7 (1960)
THE OUTLAW JOSIE WALES (1976)
SILVERADO (1985)
UNFORGIVEN (1992)
ONCE UPON A TIME IN MEXICO (2003)
THE HATEFUL EIGHT (2015)
NEWS OF THE WORLD (2020)

I think my all time favorite western is The Wild Bunch but Pat Garrett and Billy the Kid is a close 2nd. Another good one is High Plains Drifter.

The greatest? Hard to say, maybe The Searchers?

I absolutely hate westerns. Father and Grandfather loved them………. But “The Searchers” is in the top 5 movies of all time for me.

So I didn't even think about Western like cowboys and horses and 6 shooters, I thought Western was like Western culture, like NOT an Asian movie or something and then legit couldn't figure out why everyone kept talking about old cowboy movies....

I need a nap.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom