Ghoti's Room (1 Viewer)

Ghoti

Flush
Reaction score
My wife was a super good sport and, when we found a house a little over two years ago, let me have the biggest room in the basement as my game room. Problem was, it needed a bit of work, and I had hardly ever even painted a wall in my life. Some photos from the beginning:

IMG_20171013_231643595.jpg
IMG_20180211_171557903.jpg

Eventually, we built a wall (my Austrian friends got a kick out this American telling them that). We moved all those shelves to the end of the room--behind the new wall--and that's now our storage/pantry/whatever. I also mounted some shelves on the inside of the wall itself (that's my neighbor in the picture. I hit the jackpot and moved in next to an electrician who happens to be super cool and have a daughter about as old as my 2 kids. Among other things, he helped me run the wiring in the basement):

IMG_20190216_140258973.jpg
IMG_20190216_142007885.jpg
IMG_20190217_120755785.jpg

I then ran a long experiment in which I more or less learned how to spackle and paint. I did, however, leave two walls alone as I thought the raw concrete looked pretty cool as well as maintained the cellar theme. I also learned how to lay a parkett floor:

IMG_20191025_204930622.jpg

IMG_20191026_112022417.jpg

IMG_20191029_163231781.jpg

IMG_20200111_190318973.jpg
IMG_20200111_190250429.jpg
IMG_20200111_190216400.jpg
IMG_20200111_190151956.jpg

It's not entirely finished--still looking at options for the bar, and might put in a dartboard somewhere (although what I'd really like is a pool table. I'm just afraid it'd cramp things up too much). Also could use some more artwork, and need to find some good options for displaying all the sample sets I've accumulated over the years here on PCF.

More pics to follow, from our games! I try to host about once a month. Thanks for looking.

Last edited:
Beautiful. You have a ton of space too. It's a lot of fun filling in all the other accessories too.

Congrats and thanx for sharing.

Beautiful. You have a ton of space too. It's a lot of fun filling in all the other accessories too.

Congrats and thanx for sharing.
Thanks! I've been having a bit of a tough time finding a good bar. It'll be a longer project for sure, getting the room fully "equipped" :D.

What an awesome transformation! Great poker room! Nicely done sir, that is definitely one beautiful room :tup:

looks awesome, my first poker room started the same way then i added a bar and tv then added a foosball table and a pool table. So when we have guests, i notice everyone enjoys hanging out in my poker room, as my daughter and the neighborhood kids are growing up they like to hang out there too. My poker room now is the family game room. :(

Not all bad, the positives were
everyone hangs out in game room, the rest of the house stayed clean..makes wife happy
My daughter has a safe spot to hang out and we get to keep a eye on her...makes dad and mom happy
the game room is an official room and gets a bigger budget for supplies, better quality tables and chips, well stocked bar ..... makes me happy
Its true, you never forget your first one

looks awesome, my first poker room started the same way then i added a bar and tv then added a foosball table and a pool table. So when we have guests, i notice everyone enjoys hanging out in my poker room, as my daughter and the neighborhood kids are growing up they like to hang out there too. My poker room now is the family game room. :(

Not all bad, the positives were
everyone hangs out in game room, the rest of the house stayed clean..makes wife happy
My daughter has a safe spot to hang out and we get to keep a eye on her...makes dad and mom happy
the game room is an official room and gets a bigger budget for supplies, better quality tables and chips, well stocked bar ..... makes me happy
Its true, you never forget your first one
Nice :) Sounds like positives all around.

We celebrated New Year's this year at our place with my brother-in-law, his girlfriend and their kids. Later in the night my wife mentioned that it won't be long before all the kids will be down celebrating in the game room and we'll all be partying upstairs!

Nice transformation and great space!

It looks likes you you have enough room for either type, but I typcially like to recommend a walk up bar over a walk behind for home basements. Unless you plan on having a bar tender at your games, its just a whole lot easier for people to get drinks and saves a ton a space.

I think you need nice carpet. Will protect wooden floor and reduce noise level

My wife was a super good sport and, when we found a house a little over two years ago, let me have the biggest room in the basement as my game room. Problem was, it needed a bit of work, and I had hardly ever even painted a wall in my life. Some photos from the beginning:

View attachment 391106View attachment 391107

Eventually, we built a wall (my Austrian friends got a kick out this American telling them that). We moved all those shelves to the end of the room--behind the new wall--and that's now our storage/pantry/whatever. I also mounted some shelves on the inside of the wall itself (that's my neighbor in the picture. I hit the jackpot and moved in next to an electrician who happens to be super cool and have a daughter about as old as my 2 kids. Among other things, he helped me run the wiring in the basement):

View attachment 391110View attachment 391104View attachment 391111

I then ran a long experiment in which I more or less learned how to spackle and paint. I did, however, leave two walls alone as I thought the raw concrete looked pretty cool as well as maintained the cellar theme. I also learned how to lay a parkett floor:

View attachment 391141
View attachment 391142
View attachment 391144

View attachment 391115View attachment 391118View attachment 391119View attachment 391120

It's not entirely finished--still looking at options for the bar, and might put in a dartboard somewhere (although what I'd really like is a pool table. I'm just afraid it'd cramp things up too much). Also could use some more artwork, and need to find some good options for displaying all the sample sets I've accumulated over the years here on PCF.

More pics to follow, from our games! I try to host about once a month. Thanks for looking.
Amazing! Love what you did to the space.

Nice! There's plenty of room for a second table too

Last edited:
Holy moly! The flooring is gorgeous. Congrats on having such a beautiful space, I am jealous!

Nice :) Sounds like positives all around.

We celebrated New Year's this year at our place with my brother-in-law, his girlfriend and their kids. Later in the night my wife mentioned that it won't be long before all the kids will be down celebrating in the game room and we'll all be partying upstairs!

ah yes now you know why you got the largest room. lmao good luck and hope many great memories and not so many bad beats.

It looks likes you you have enough room for either type, but I typcially like to recommend a walk up bar over a walk behind for home basements. Unless you plan on having a bar tender at your games, its just a whole lot easier for people to get drinks and saves a ton a space.

i understand what your saying, but a walk behind bar also allow for storage and helps keep the clutter down a bit. I do agree, that most of the time when hosting i put the bottles on the bar so as not to have to go behind it.

Thanks for all the love, guys.

I've gone back and forth between those two options but I have been tending towards the walk up, mainly because it takes up less space and I want to keep the room as spacious as possible (when we need more tables, being one reason).

Thanks for the input.

I think you need nice carpet. Will protect wooden floor and reduce noise level

My son and I have a pretty strong dust mite allergy, so that's a no-go on the carpet :(

Nice! There's plenty of room for a second table too

Yup! Here's a shot with the round folding table out:

IMG_20191110_114753139.jpg

I'm looking to eventually get a second folding table--upgrading the round one--and have the round one in the pic as a third when needed.

Is that a guitar case? Can't read what it is

It is:

IMG_20200115_202920360.jpg

Holy moly! The flooring is gorgeous. Congrats on having such a beautiful space, I am jealous!

Thanks! I paid for it in blood as well:

IMG_20191027_082158177.jpg

The nail's halfway grown back by now!

G’day mate! Throw another shrimp on the barbie.

The room looks great. Only one question...

WTF is that?!?!

View attachment 392882
Ha! I thought someone might point that out. It's something about excess water, I believe from the bathroom? The lady explained it when we did the walk-through after they finished building the house. Almost nothing comes out, but she said I should put a bucket under there. I'll get around to concealing it sometime.

Ha! I thought someone might point that out. It's something about excess water, I believe from the bathroom? The lady explained it when we did the walk-through after they finished building the house. Almost nothing comes out, but she said I should put a bucket under there. I'll get around to concealing it sometime.
I thought it was a rather limp looking cactus :ROFL: :ROFLMAO:

I really suck at taking photos during my games. The problem is that I use my phone as the tournament clock, and I don't like making a "scene" out of the whole thing. I'm hoping to remedy that in the near future by getting a tv downstairs. Anyways, here's ONE shot I managed to get off during our second game in the new room:

IMG_20200118_205951245.jpg

10 players, €20 buyin with unlimited reentry during the first 5 levels. €5 bounty. We got the prize pool over €300 and I ended up chopping it heads up.

Played mixed cash afterwards: SOHE, crazy pineapple, plo, stud and a few flips in between. I'll make sure and get some cash game pics next time around.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom