Fugly Poker Table Thread (35 Viewers)

OK, so not that fugly compared to some of the winners on this thread, but holy shit....somebody paid $4k for this!!!

poker AND dinner

Man, that makes me sad. What was once a decent poker setup now looks pretty trashed. Terrible idea to have the rail resting on whatever those things are when it's flipped over. Look at those divots! :banghead:

OK, so not that fugly compared to some of the winners on this thread, but holy shit....somebody paid $4k for this!!!

poker AND dinner
It appears that they own waterfront property, so I imagine $4K is nothing to them. Just a shame that the design ends up leaving marks on the padded rail. I'm sure it looked like a $4K setup (retail) when it was new.

It appears that they own waterfront property, so I imagine $4K is nothing to them. Just a shame that the design ends up leaving marks on the padded rail. I'm sure it looked like a $4K setup (retail) when it was new.
Looking at the evidence...
  • Texas Hold em felt. C'mon, I'd think twice about buying a Lamborghini if the fabric was printed this cheaply.
  • Fabric - This looks like the super cheap fabric that pills.
  • Fabric is offset. Positions 2 and 6 aren't centered, which indicates the whole fabric is askew.
  • Fabric appears to be screen printed, not dye-sublimated.
  • Fabric clearly had no scotchguarding or other protection - unless the players routinely drank (and spilled) cups of bleach.
  • Woodworking has significant gaps. My woodworking has gaps like this. That's because I'm an amateur, and nobody is ever going to pay me $4000 for obviously amateurish work.
  • No professional builder is going to design a table that cuts into the rail by design to prevent the dining top from sliding about.
  • People that have think $4k is "nothing", do not hold on to a chair with one armrest. Four grand is a lot of money to me, and when a chair loses an arm, I get a new chair or I remove the arms. I do not keep a chair with an arm post.
1613075824759.png

1613077150927.png

...at the very least, these pics needed to be posted, so they wouldn't vanish someday with the Craigslist ad.

• Texas Hold em felt. C'mon, I'd think twice about buying a Lamborghini if the fabric was printed this cheaply.
  • Fabric is offset. Positions 2 and 6 aren't centered, which indicates the whole fabric is askew.
  • Fabric clearly had no scotchguarding or other protection - unless the players routinely drank (and spilled) cups of bleach.
  • Woodworking has significant gaps. My woodworking has gaps like this. That's because I'm an amateur, and nobody is ever going to pay me $4000 for obviously amateurish work.
  • No professional builder is going to design a table that cuts into the rail by design to prevent the dining top from sliding about.
  • People that have think $4k is "nothing", do not hold on to a chair with one armrest. Four grand is a lot of money to me, and when a chair loses an arm, I get a new chair or I remove the arms. I do not keep a chair with an arm post.
View attachment 634267
View attachment 634280

...at the very least, these pics needed to be posted, so they wouldn't vanish someday with the Craigslist ad.
Well deduced. Remind me never to play you at Cluedo :ROFL: :ROFLMAO:

Last edited:
View attachment 634267
View attachment 634280

• I've seen lots of "expensive" tables in retail stores and online with crap fabric.
  • Also seen lots of retail furniture with less than what would be considered craftsman quality woodworking. Lot's of customers don't look all that closely at things they buy.
  • This very well may have been an impulse purchase that wasn't thought all the way through. Or a gift from wife to husband. Or even a mail order purchase where they can make it look much nicer online than it really is.
  • If it was bought in person, I'm sure the table was displayed in the showroom with the poker side up. And had probably never been stored poker side down, so customer had no clue about the damage that would be done when they flipped it over.
  • So yup! It's a cheaply built, low quality product. Almost certainly made overseas by over-worked and underpaid near slave labor with no incentive to do quality work. That never has stopped retailers from trying to rake unsuspecting customers over the coals.
  • OR - the seller may be lying about what they paid. Who knows? Who cares? Not me.

I have a table with a hard wood rail, and I have to say that there are no complaints about the rail. Lots of complaints on the rest of the table, but the rail isn't one. You wouldn't believe how many people sit for 8 hours a day at a hard desk without issue, as long as the height is correct.

You people with your padded desks are such princesses. ;)

Smiley emoji in case you missed it. But seriously, padded rails are overrated.
Bars also come without padded rails... But people sit at those for hours without complaint.

KegWorks-Home-Bar.jpg

Bars also come without padded rails... But people sit at those for hours without complaint.

KegWorks-Home-Bar.jpg
True; still my two most beloved jazz / whisky bars, where I spent the best moments of my youth (if not most of it), do have padded rails::)

Bar 56 was a second home of mine for years
Bar56.jpg
Bar56 II.jpg
BAR56-ATHENS-WINTER-201617.jpg

Galaxy Bar (NOT to be confused with the tourist trap of the same name at the top of Athens Hilton)

Bar Galaxy I.jpg
Bar galaxy_1.jpg
Bar galaxy-2.jpg

True; still my two most beloved jazz / whisky bars, where I spent the best moments of my youth (if not most of it), do have padded rails::)

Bar 56 was a second home of mine for years
View attachment 638024View attachment 638025View attachment 638026

Galaxy Bar (NOT to be confused with the tourist trap of the same name at the top of Athens Hilton)

View attachment 638027View attachment 638028View attachment 638029
Is that for arm comfort, or to prevent head injury when you fall down drunk?

They wouldn’t last a shift here :ROFL: :ROFLMAO:
By "handle" I mean vomit like a gentleman, in the privacy of the loo;)

Anyway, by catering to the weak (just like in poker), they 've been there for generations.
Not sure these bars are going to survive the Covid crisis. They 've been shut down for ages.
Let alone that you can't legally smoke anymore (absurd and obscene, when it comes to pure bars; and I don't even smoke anymore). Greece adopting Puritan Hysteria (Political Correctness).
It's a pitty, 'cause I suspect that this kind of music, drinks and atmosphere, reminiscent of NY of the '50s, cannot be found anymore, anywhere in the world:(

Anyway, by catering to the weak (just like in poker), they 've been there for generations.
Not sure these bars are going to survive the Covid crisis. They 've been shut down for ages.
Let alone that you can't legally smoke anymore (absurd and obscene, when it comes to pure bars; and I don't even smoke anymore). Greece adopting Puritan Hysteria (Political Correctness).
It's a pitty, 'cause I suspect that this kind of music, drinks and atmosphere, reminiscent of NY of the '50s, cannot be found anymore, anywhere in the world:(
But you still have the best toga parties :ROFL: :ROFLMAO:

It still exists, but it is exceedingly rare.

I am sorry though that you view banning pubic indoor smoking to be "political correctness". It stinks. There is well documented evidence that second-hand smoke shortens life spans.

Quite frankly, those gentlemen may still be alive today because of smoking bans... and COVID bans. If the landlords/tax collectors can just accept that businesses cannot pay because they are closed for national safety, these places would snap right back when the restrictions are lifted.

Don't blame safety. Blame the greedy f***ers that demand blood from a stone.

There is well documented evidence theory that second-hand smoke shortens life spans.
"Evidence" would imply proof... for which none exists.... like human induced climate change & masks can stop a virus.

But then, we stopped teaching the difference between theory & fact a long time ago... hence the confusion.

You reap what you sew.... unless of course, the dumbing-down was a plan.

You reap what you sew.... unless of course, the dumbing-down was a plan.
May want to brush up on your folksy sayings.... pretty sure that one has nothing to do with needles. Unless of course, looking dumb was the plan.

May want to brush up on your folksy sayings.... pretty sure that one has nothing to do with needles. Unless of course, looking dumb was the plan.
I'd rather commit a minor faux pas than be running around with a Kotex over my mug & actually believing it's has any hope of "keeping safe" from a virus.

Anyone who actually believe that, & ends up actually dying from it, I'm simply chalking up to Darwinism at this point.

If you're soooooo smart my "are you smarter than a redneck" challenge prize is now up to $100... all you have to do is provide the proof. :LOL: :laugh:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom