Friends hosting with dice chips (1 Viewer)

What do you do when you have friends who want to host poker games, but they only have dice chips?

• Don't say anything, and just take their money

• Work on them to get "better" chips

• Bring a travel set of mint chips

• Bring a travel set of more worn chips

• Donate chip sets

• Added: Bring a travel set of ceramics

Results are only viewable after voting.
IMO, you run the risk of insulting the host if you ask if you could bring chips to next game. First thing crossing their mind would be, “My chips aren’t good enough for you?” I would never do it.

I have been playing in a game for over ten years that uses dice chips. No one except me gives a damn. They just want to play and have a good time.

Personally, if someone is that easily offended by a simple suggestion, I would likely not want to play in their game anyhow. I tend to be straight forward and plain spoken which is offensive to the more sensitive types.

However, I would never suggest other chips to someone I didnt't have a personal relationship with already

Dice chips are amazing compared to what the game I play at uses.
I think I disagree, those are amazing. I like the little plaques too. If anyone does themed poker games (I assume this is a thing o_O) that would be perfect for a wild west or maybe a more medieval setting.

I remember shuffling some 1/2 dollars before and having my hand cramp too.

My friends think I'm nuts for the number of chips I have. However they're my friends so I don't ask, I tell them I'm bringing chips. Last game I took chips, cards, dealer button, topper, iPad (for blinds-up) AND the hotdog roller. The only thing they asked me to bring was the hotdog roller, I told them I was bringing everything else and they were super grateful.

IMO, you run the risk of insulting the host if you ask if you could bring chips to the next game. First thing crossing their mind would be, “My chips aren’t good enough for you?” I would never do it.

I have been playing in a game for over ten years that uses dice chips. No one except me gives a damn. They just want to play and have a good time.
I get it, and I'm trying not to be "that" guy.

Do you host games too? Do you feel like people enjoy your chip variety?

I think I disagree, those are amazing. I like the little plaques too. If anyone does themed poker games (I assume this is a thing o_O) that would be perfect for a wild west or maybe a more medieval setting.

I remember shuffling some 1/2 dollars before and having my hand cramp too.

They are cryptocurrency themed. I thought they were cool when I first saw them, but they really do suck. The silver ones are coated so you get tiny specs of metal all over the felt and your hands.

Attachments

• BC56BCC2-721B-405A-B5FA-299FA7E392E7.jpeg
    BC56BCC2-721B-405A-B5FA-299FA7E392E7.jpeg
    143.9 KB · Views: 179
They are cryptocurrency themed. I thought they were cool when I first saw them, but they really do suck. The silver ones are coated so you get tiny specs of metal all over the felt and your hands.

I feel like those would be more expensive than nice poker chips lol

Thanks for the other picture, not what I was imagining on the face. Are those smaller than 39mm Poker chips?

I feel like those would be more expensive than nice poker chips lol

They are. Hey could have easily gotten a Paulson set for what he paid, or a huge gpi or cc set.

Thanks for the other picture, not what I was imagining on the face. Are those smaller than 39mm Poker chips?

I think they are the same or maybe a hair bigger.

I get it, and I'm trying not to be "that" guy.

Do you host games too? Do you feel like people enjoy your chip variety?

Yes, every week and a few weekends. Most players do like my chips and compliment me on them. But, if I sold all my sets and we started playing with dice chips, no one would care. Everyone would still come.

To me, playing on nice custom built tables with high end chips and cards enhances the experience. Not everyone agrees.

Good friends - show up with yours and tell them whats what :)

Everyone else - thank for hosting, offer to bring some next game or bring a few to shuffle and when they ask wtf are those, let them handle them then 1 on 1 off-hand ask if they wanted to try them out in the next game

lol I totally understand people not thinking the chips we buy are worth the money but would call BS on anyone not having a preference between Paulson and dice hips

Well if they are poker players they will. If they are causal fish neighbors you force to play poker because you don't know any regulars they just hope your alcohol and food is good because they don't care about the poker or the chips lol!

I think chips, table, seats, lighting, cards... it's all "attention to detail". It's what separates a great game from one that's good.

Some people dont care. They are just as happy with a porterhouse from Peter Luger's as they would be with sirloin steak from Shoney's. You can even bring them the better one, and they won't care. But others will. They will notice, even if they don't say so.

If you bring nicer chairs to my game, I may or may not use them. I won't be offended though. It's the only thing I've spent Wal-Mart money on. I don't belong to a Poker Chair Forum, but I accept that there are better options out there. I'm just not going to spend the money on them... that's crazy!

I think chips, table, seats, lighting, cards... it's all "attention to detail". It's what separates a great game from one that's good.

Some people dont care. They are just as happy with a porterhouse from Peter Luger's as they would be with sirloin steak from Shoney's. You can even bring them the better one, and they won't care. But others will. They will notice, even if they don't say so.

If you bring nicer chairs to my game, I may or may not use them. I won't be offended though. It's the only thing I've spent Wal-Mart money on. I don't belong to a Poker Chair Forum, but I accept that there are better options out there. I'm just not going to spend the money on them... that's crazy!

Haha, my friends would be trading the chips for chairs and the fancy steak

I second this - I'm pretty new to this hobby compared to most of you...but my players don't care at all ... I remember the days I made fun of my one friend for his chip collection - the addiction is now real

Honestly not a single person I have played with appreciates the chips, they could literally be cardboard as none of my friends are as materialistic as I am. Most of them just make fun of me for spending so much money on chips when I could have paid 20 dollars on Craigslist or gone to Walmart. The truth is most people don't care and just want to play poker and or drink and hangout. I on the other hand appreciate the finer things in life and go all out with hobbies. If I asked someone who plays in my games how much I paid per chip they would probably think 25 cents each on the high end.

To me, playing on nice custom built tables with high end chips and cards enhances the experience. Not everyone agrees.
Yeah, this is how I view it and how I want to play poker. Which is why I don't mind spending the money on chips.

There are so many beautiful sets and combinations, maybe it just takes another chipper to appreciate/understand the hard work to put together a great set!

I don't belong to a Poker Chair Forum

Let me tell you about my website called ChairDonkeys.com. It's where folks can get together and talk crap about people on this forum who have terrible taste in chairs. No guarantee it'll still be running in 6 months though...

Lots of good comments here. I agree that you need to gauge the host properly before bringing chips over. If it's someone who takes a lot of pride in providing the hosting amenities, then you need to tread carefully. If it's someone who is just throwing stuff together, then bring whatever chips you want. I've dealt with both.

Let me tell you about my website called ChairDonkeys.com. It's where folks can get together and talk crap about people on this forum who have terrible taste in chairs. No guarantee it'll still be running in 6 months though...

Lots of good comments here. I agree that you need to gauge the host properly before bringing chips over. If it's someone who takes a lot of pride in providing the hosting amenities, then you need to tread carefully. If it's someone who is just throwing stuff together, then bring whatever chips you want. I've dealt with both.
So glad to see you back. :D (y) :thumbsup:

Perhaps not technically or practically possible, but it would be cool if all the content on CT could be merged here before it is lost forever.

In general, I'm in the "mind your own business and play with the dice chips" camp. I do think that your relationship with the host matters a lot. If you're a friend of a friend, just STFU and be a good guest. If he's your best friend from college, tell him his chips suck and you're bringing better ones from now on.

If you want to convert the crowd try this:
Bring several cool chips as card protectors when you play. People will ask about them. When they do, it breaks the ice for you to talk about your chips and to (eventually) offer to bring a set if they want to try them out.

Its just not a focus point for anyone I play with. Both good friends and casual acquaintances alike.

I think its pretentious to impose my "good" chips on another persons game.

If someone else is hosting then let them host their way. Its really more about friends and drinks and having a good time.

Its just not a focus point for anyone I play with. Both good friends and casual acquaintances alike.

I think its pretentious to impose my "good" chips on another persons game.

If someone else is hosting then let them host their way. Its really more about friends and drinks and having a good time.

Poker is all about the chips. Who cares about the rest. :ROFL: :ROFLMAO::ROFL: :ROFLMAO:;)

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom