For you folks that don't leave your table up, what do you do with it and where does it "live"?

Pinesol13

3 of a Kind
Reaction score
Nice job! I've been thinking about doing the same for my oak kitchen table (also expands w/ two leaves). A couple of questions:
  • I was going to use 1/4" ply as the base, then foam, then a Chanman Custom Suede. Is the foam without a base stiff enough and strong enough? (Out of Context Thread, here I come)
  • How do you attach the foam/speed cloth to the rail (when you are hanging it on the wall as shown, or laying it on the table)?
  • Can you post (or PM me) a few pictures of the foam/SSC separate from the rail, back side of the rail, any build pictures, etc.?
Cheers!

If you can, I'd recommend using 1/4" plywood for a base for the speedcloth. I chose not to, my priority was To make the table super easy to put up and take down, and to have it be easily portable and easy to store.

However, I've been happier than expected with how the speedcloth attached to only foam has worked. It's sitting on top of a wood table, so it feels like any other poker table.

I don't attach the speedcloth in any way when it's in "table mode". It's basically just a matt that sits on top of the table (it's the exact size of the table), and then I put the rail on top, and that's it. The rail sitting on top adds a little pressure, and I have not noticed any slipping or movement yet.
When it's in "art mode", I've been using thumbtacks to stick it into the wood of the rail. I know this isn't a good option, but it was quick and easy and what I had at the time.

I'll send you some pics. Unfortunately I just broke the table down and hung it up before seeing your post. But I'll definitely send you more info

TomC727

3 of a Kind
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Stays covered.
B6ADA6E6-13CB-4D5D-B1DB-A8E833A420EB.jpeg
98554055-2B4B-48F6-BF35-4A310813A7E4.jpeg

buzzmonkey

Pair
Reaction score
Leaving a poker table on it's said against the foam isn't a concern, as long as the weight is evenly distributed. If you accidentally put the table on top of something, like a piece of lego, then it'll leave a dent in the rail.

The foam I use is pretty high density, and I wrap the vinyl/suede/leather very tight so there's no worry about over compressing the foam over time.

Kickstands are a good option, I include those for folding tables, but not for toppers since those have to have a flat bottom.
Do you compress the rail with weight when wrapping and stapling the vinyl or leave the foam expanded? When I made a topper over a decade ago we compressed and it worked well, but I've heard folks say it's not necessary.

philhut

3 of a Kind
Supporting Member
Reaction score
following, looking for ideas to store
1-cash 9ft table with folding legs
1-tourney 9ft table with wood pedestal legs (heavy and legs/table top can be removed, 2 person job)
1-folding table w legs.

navels

Full House
Site Vendor
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I thought at first you were asking about people who don't quit a game until they're busto :ROFL: :ROFLMAO:

bigdonkey

3 of a Kind
Reaction score
Curious, do you guys support the table in anyway to prevent damage to the rail/padding, or is that not a concern? I'll be receiving a topper as soon as DHL decides to get their shit together and it's something I've been wondering about.
This may not be of help if you already have your table on the way, but I built a topper with a removable rail. When it needs to be stored, I pop it off so the rail only has to support it's own weight. I haven't had any issues with it being stored over a summer.

T_Chan

Full House
Site Vendor
Reaction score
Do you compress the rail with weight when wrapping and stapling the vinyl or leave the foam expanded? When I made a topper over a decade ago we compressed and it worked well, but I've heard folks say it's not necessary.

I don't pre-compress the foam, but when I do the upholstery I pull the vinyl tight otherwise I'd end up with wrinkles.

DoubleEagle

Full House
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Where are you guys finding these table sized fitted covers? I need one of these.
Tableclothworld.com. The oval and round covers are at the bottom of the page. I have one and I have referred several people that bought them. Everyone seems very pleased with them. Get the elastic cover and make sure you order it large enough so the cover wraps under the table edge. I bought a 64" cover for my 60" round table.

Poker Zombie

Royal Flush
Reaction score
Mine get completely disassembled.

2019-05-01 10.47.56.jpg

The rail is hung on bike racks which are covered with block foam. The table foam and speedcloth are rolled up (speed cloth behind the foam in the photo). Legs are unscrewed and live in a canvas bag on the little black shelves in the foreground. The base of the table is slid behind the big red toolbox, along with a couple other disassembled tables. Everything else in that room is on wheels, so I can get stuff in/out pretty easily.

JustinInMN

Full House
Reaction score
Mine get completely disassembled.

View attachment 689960

The rail is hung on bike racks which are covered with block foam. The table foam and speedcloth are rolled up (speed cloth behind the foam in the photo). Legs are unscrewed and live in a canvas bag on the little black shelves in the foreground. The base of the table is slid behind the big red toolbox, along with a couple other disassembled tables. Everything else in that room is on wheels, so I can get stuff in/out pretty easily.
Nice Bat'leth flex.

JustinInMN

Full House
Reaction score
Some people buy guns to defend their home against home invasion. I bought a Bat'leth to protect my home against Romulan invasion.

The odds of either happening are almost exactly the same.
Well everyone knows the Romluans prefer to provoke their enemies into aggression instead of initiating aggression.

Top Bottom