Cash Game First time hosting cash game (1 Viewer)

Thorn

High Hand
Reaction score
Looking for advice on hosting first cash game. I want to get 5-6 hours of play for a single table and introduce new games besides NLHE.

I've recently started my home game back up after a few years off. It's a social game among guys with different levels of disposable income. We originally went with NLHE tourneys to keep the stakes friendly. We play 2 tourneys a night with $10 buy in and max 1 rebuy per player. So max loss of $40 if you have a horrible night. We play about once a month on average.

I'm going to mix it up and play a cash game next time around. I've asked the players a few times about stakes and get no responses. My guess is $50-$100 a month is the top of the comfort level for about half of my group with a couple on the low end of that range.

I'm debating between a $20 max buy in 5c/10c game or a $25 buy in 25c/25c game. Top up or rebuy to original buy in as needed. My concern with the 5/10 is that it plays too loose. With the tourneys the fear of sitting out is probably a bigger factor than losing the buy in and the game plays pretty well.

My concern with the 25/25 game is that it breaks up too soon if we don't get enough guys to reload. Especially if we're experimenting with new games.

Can you have a successful cash game among players with different bank rolls so to speak? Or does this fall into trying to be all things to all people?

Your game will run better as a .05/.10 $20 max. Don’t worry about how “loose” it will play. People generally play their ranges regardless of stakes. Raising the stakes beyond the capacity of your group will result in busted players who don’t want to rebuy or winners that want to cash out early. Very tough to balance but your goal is to find that sweet spot. If .05/.10 $20 max is too low, I’d suggest raising the max buy in not the stakes. Deeper stacks will satisfy the players that want to play bigger without squeezing out those that want to buy in lower.

Your game will run better as a .05/.10 $20 max. Don’t worry about how “loose” it will play. People generally play their ranges regardless of stakes. Raising the stakes beyond the capacity of your group will result in busted players who don’t want to rebuy or winners that want to cash out early. Very tough to balance but your goal is to find that sweet spot. If .05/.10 $20 max is too low, I’d suggest raising the max buy in not the stakes. Deeper stacks will satisfy the players that want to play bigger without squeezing out those that want to buy in lower.
Much appreciated. Would never have considered 5c/10c with higher buy in.

Your max rebuy amount is important and having enough smaller denomination chips too.

I have similar issue/concerns in terms of friends finances.
We normally play tournaments, and they go well.(settled at $40 buy with 1 rebuy option at same)When we played a cash game, many enjoyed it... however, I got feedback on the side that the amount to play was a bit much for some.
We played a .10c/.25c game with $40 max buy in.. It turned in .25c/.50c and almost became .50c/$1 by the end.(I overuled that proposal)

Some of the mistakes I made in that game in terms of hosting:
1. Not enough $1 chips ..( I was giving rebuys with $5 chips and having them make change on the table)
2. To big of a rebuy option. I was allowing people to rebuy up to $100 after some time

We have played a couple of tournaments since, but I'm expecting to get a cash game in soon. I would like to add two games to the "menu" to spice it up a bit. Still need to work on that part of it.

That’s about where my group is. I do 5¢/10¢, with $5-20 buy-ins. Most buy in for $15 or $20.

When we first started,
There was lots of limping and min-raises pre. We needed about 15 nickels per player or we were making change all the time. As the game evolved, most opens are to 50¢ or 75¢, and almost no nickels are used besides the blinds. No we can get buy with about 5 nickels per. As you play, if there’s lots of change being made for nickels, add some more to the table. If they’re not being used, give out fewer next time.

I’m comfortable playing up to 1/2, but I love our microstakes game. The thrill of a bad beat or huge bluff against friends without losing a significant amount of money makes it really fun.

@Roslindale helpful input. Thanks. One positive to only having dice chips is I have enough flexibility to cover the different setups. Obviously that changes once I get to building my custom sets and is another reason for wanting to get this dialed in.

You need a hot dog roller. No getting around the fact that hungry players leave, while fed players stay. Definitely need a hot dog roller.
Food is least of my worries. :) They eat well at my game.
20211208_144819.jpg
20211113_145225.jpg

Start with 5c/10c with a mandatory $10 initial buy-in, but don't mention anything about a max buy-in to see how much people are willing to rebuy. See how it goes as the night progress. Once you know how much most players are willing to lose in one night, then you can implement a max buy-in, increase or lower the blinds, limited number of straddles, etc.

It's easier to increase the stakes than to decrease. If you start high, players who may not be financially comfortable may not want to come back even if you decrease the stakes.

@Roslindale One positive to only having dice chips is I have enough flexibility to cover the different setups.

NO POSITIVES ;)

Now for some positive, relevant feedback :)

Good job on asking your players about the stakes as it's really important to know if you want a sustainable game. Also nice work on the food!

Keep in mind that some mixed games may not be suitable for 5/10 NL. Then factor in Pot Limit Omaha played bigger than NL Hold'em (I don't have experience here but people on this forum recommend lower stakes for PLO). For limit games like stud, my group plays .50/$1 and the majority of the time people win or lose about $20, and rarely win or lose $40.

I've asked the players a few times about stakes and get no responses
Maybe can ask how much they are comfortable to lose if they unsure about the stake. Let say for example is $60, which I will inturn convert that amount for 300bb or 3 buyin and plan for a 10c/20c $20 buyin game

Poker equipment is important to have, Plastic Card is a must ; no paper card please, at least a Poker Mat/Topper is recommended and lastly a decent set of chip with denomination will be enough

Another plus is you need someone who can shuffle and deal card (you can teach them or deal yourself)

Lately, make them comfortable that mean Setting up the atmosphere a few beers, background music at a reasonable volume . Having adequate chair and lighting too

Last edited:
Well you need to ask how much money players are confortable loosing. Also dont forget to tell they are not going to loose it every time :) if players do have money but scared to loose it (like new players) i remind them how much that coctail cost and how many they drink last time :) if you win - super, if you lost - you just paid for a good time :)

People generally play their ranges regardless of stakes.

I unfortunately don't fall into this category lol. I wish I did :)

Start off with the smaller stakes and simply see how it goes. You can always make adjustments before the next game. When we play low stakes "family" games. I go with the 10 x's rule. Everyone buys in for 20 bucks. I give them $200 in chips. The blinds are 1/2. This allows me to get some of the fun, larger denomination chips in play that don't normally hit the felt.

Definitely start with smaller stakes. If people want bigger stakes, they will ask "Can we put a little more on table next time?" If your stakes are too high, players just won't play after that one night.

Appreciate all the responses. Looks like starting small and moving up is the right approach. Next game won't be until January but I'll post a follow up with how it works out.

Now I can focus on bigger priority of upgrading to some proper chips...

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom