First blackjack home game (1 Viewer)

CincinattiKiddo

High Hand
Reaction score
Hello all!
Last week I organised my first blackjack tourney, before my weekly poker tourney.

This is how it went.

I made sure i had 6 packs of the same cards. We played 25 hands. The one with the most chips after the last hand wins
the tourney. It went great.

I gave all a starting stack of 30.000
One thing I will consider for the next time is to reduce the 30K starting stack to a 20K starting stack.

The minimum bet was 500, and the max was 5000. I think that was great. We used a dealer button to determine which player would get the first card that round

These were the rules we played with.
  • 1 shoe = 6 deck of cards of 25 hands
  • Dealer stands on 17
  • No insurance
  • Natural Black Jack pays x2,5
  • Double = if 2 cards together are 9/10/11
  • Win pays x2
  • A = 1 or 11
  • no re-splits allowed
  • Only split on 2 same cards
  • min bet = 500
  • max bet = 5000
  • Tie = push
  • splitt = no double

Anyone who has any advice on adding side-bets? For me it was good the way it was, some of my players were asking for side bets.

If you have any recommandations, or questions. Let me know

Oh, I didn't see a normal win paid 2:1

I'd change that to normal winning 1:1 and BJ to 2:1
Oh i see the confusing part, I mean 1:1 with x2 . When a player puts in 1000, and wins he get 1000 back. Not 2000, my bad. We call it times 2 with our friends.

When you get to last hand, How do you determine the order of go? Just based on rotating each hand? I assume whoever gets last decision has a big advantage.

I like this. Is it delf dealt like a poker game or did you have a set dealer?

I wanted to have a home blackjack tournament but couldn't figure out how deal would work. I was thinking it could be self-dealt on rotation and the dealer acts as the house OR dealer stays as the dealer/house until someone wins by blackjack then they win the dealer/house role as the house has an edge.

In this particular case. I dealt non stop. Since i don't like blackjack. And it was the first time. So I was the delaer non stop

When you get to last hand, How do you determine the order of go? Just based on rotating each hand? I assume whoever gets last decision has a big advantage.
We did shuffle all the cards after hand 12. So the next 13 hands were as random as the first 12. Or do you mean because you get to see the cards of the previous players?

In this particular case. I dealt non stop. Since i don't like blackjack. And it was the first time. So I was the delaer non stop
Ahhh gotcha. Yeah that's the part I was trying to figure out. Two ideas I came up with were
1. Self deal and dealer assumes role as house using the house's stack
2. Self deal and dealer acts as the house using their own stack

We did shuffle all the cards after hand 12. So the next 13 hands were as random as the first 12. Or do you mean because you get to see the cards of the previous players?

Maybe I’m over thinking it. I’ve never played in a blackjack tourney. The 25th hand would give the last player to act an advantage wouldn’t it? If I’m in seat 5, I can see how players do in seats 1-4 before I have to act. I guess the bets would be the same (do the bets need placed at same time or can I wait until someone else places their bet to decide how I want to bet), so maybe it doesn’t affect it that much. But, if I see everyone bust in front of me, I may play my cards differently depending how much I have bet.

Maybe I’m over thinking it. I’ve never played in a blackjack tourney. The 25th hand would give the last player to act an advantage wouldn’t it? If I’m in seat 5, I can see how players do in seats 1-4 before I have to act. I guess the bets would be the same (do the bets need placed at same time or can I wait until someone else places their bet to decide how I have ai want to bet), so maybe it doesn’t affect it that much. But, if I see everyone bust in front of me, I may play my cards differently depending how much I have bet.
I’ve had the same question. Maybe shuffle seating? Every 20 minutes?

The 25th hand would give the last player to act an advantage wouldn’t it? If I’m in seat 5, I can see how players do in seats 1-4 before I have to act. I guess the bets would be the same (do the bets need placed at same time or can I wait until someone else places their bet to decide how I want to bet), so maybe it doesn’t affect it that much. But, if I see everyone bust in front of me, I may play my cards differently depending how much I have bet.
Yes, the last player (the virtual '3rd base') in each hand does have the advantage of placing their bet last and playing their cards last.

In every 21 tournament I've played in, they've been limited to a set # of shoes played, not hands. Say you're playing 3 shoe rounds (or a single-table tournament) - when the cut card comes out in that 3rd shoe, the NEXT HAND is the final hand of the round (or tournament.) So you don't know for sure when that last hand will be until shortly before that cut card comes out.

First base would be chosen by dice roll, and then rotates after each hand. Bets have to be placed in order starting at first base, and once placed can't be changed.

Use a random blind timer instead of counting hands. Then nobody will know its last hand till timer goes off.
We do BJ tournaments and roulette tournaments that way.

Last edited:
Maybe I’m over thinking it. I’ve never played in a blackjack tourney. The 25th hand would give the last player to act an advantage wouldn’t it? If I’m in seat 5, I can see how players do in seats 1-4 before I have to act. I guess the bets would be the same (do the bets need placed at same time or can I wait until someone else places their bet to decide how I want to bet), so maybe it doesn’t affect it that much. But, if I see everyone bust in front of me, I may play my cards differently depending how much I have bet.
Before the hand starts, Everyone places a bet. Min 500 and max 5000. Then the cards are dealt. So you cant wait to see what other do and bet after then. Bets are placed simultaneously, if that makes sense to you?

Yes, the last player (the virtual '3rd base') in each hand does have the advantage of placing their bet last and playing their cards last.

In every 21 tournament I've played in, they've been limited to a set # of shoes played, not hands. Say you're playing 3 shoe rounds (or a single-table tournament) - when the cut card comes out in that 3rd shoe, the NEXT HAND is the final hand of the round (or tournament.) So you don't know for sure when that last hand will be until shortly before that cut card comes out.

First base would be chosen by dice roll, and then rotates after each hand. Bets have to be placed in order starting at first base, and once placed can't be changed.
I gave everyone 1 card, highest card got the dealer button. This rotated each hand and determined who gets the first card. Every time the person right of the dealer got the first card. So just like in poker. I don't have a shoe yet. But I will keep that in mind for future. For now everyone was fine with 25 hands.

Never done a blackjack tourney, sounds interesting.

In college we allowed blackjack in our dealers choice cash game. Played single deck, standard rules (splits, doubles, dealer hold on 17, etc). Deal your shoe and you are the bank. Rotate. Everyone plays one card down, everyone against the dealer.

It wasn't great :LOL: :laugh:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom