Finding new players for your home game? (1 Viewer)

Dcarl

Sitting Out
Reaction score
Curious how you all go about this.

I've been hosting a game or 2 the last couple months after talking my wife's family and a few of our close friends into having a poker night a few times a month. We host at my house, and I do all the dealing and unfortunately, telling everyone when its their turn and what their options are :rolleyes:

Now, while it's very light hearted and fun, I do want to have a 'serious' poker game. I have been asking anyone that I think may be interested and it's either a flat no, or a "yes im definitely in!" than when the text go out a week before no one ever shows.

How did you all go about getting a solid group to play with? If there is a thread already similar to this, please excuse me for missing it.

I’ll have to go to a car dealership then! Haha.

Yeah and years ago I posted on Craigslist and actually got a solid group of guys that would show up consistently. This is when me and my dad would play at his house though.

Don’t think the wife would be comfortable with that, nor would I to be honest.

There’s many ways to go about it. Just remember ABR.

Always Be Recruiting

Every consistent game I’ve run took a little time to get rolling but once they do they really do.

Never rest on your laurels; keep improving the game with equipment, environment, food.. And remember:

Always Be Recruiting

I’ll have to go to a car dealership then! Haha.

It's no joke. A co-worker of mine, who also played regularly in my game, decided to quit where I work and start selling cars. About 6 months later my player pool went from 15-16 players to 22-23. I've gotten 4 regulars and 2 semi-regulars from the car biz, all great guys too.

My regs all play golf in a league, and we chat about poker after golf, etc, so it does peak interest from others. Although I have a core 8, but anyone that we enjoy to be around, and ask to play, they are told up front that we have our core, but they can be put on the spare list...I give my regs a week notice, and a date where I need a commitment....then snooze that can't play, the spare players get a call ,mail or text to see if they want to play....I always have a full table if 8. I play at other home games, so uf there are a few that I enjoy their company, I do ask if they would be interested if I need a player to fill my table...I have 4-6 on my spare list...they all play at other games, so they don't take it personal if they don't get a call....I am a spare st other's home games..
Like other have said, always recruit those that you know, or enjoy their company....I'm with you that I would never invite someone that I don't know.

1) Go to other local games in the area. Could be World Tavern Poker, etc.
2) See if there is a poker-related Facebook group for your area.
3) Ask your poker playing friends if they know anyone else who plays.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom