Cash Game Finding a soft game (1 Viewer)

shorticus

4 of a Kind
Tourney Director
Supporter
Reaction score
Let's assume you found a soft game, but the game required that you traveled a fairly long distance to play (distance of course is subjective). Would you go out of your way to make it to that game, or would you just occasionally go when it's most convenient for you and make mental note of it for future reference?

There is no shortage of soft tables in poker rooms around here. However, I am considering making this drive every Monday to play in @Josh Kifer game. :)

1582755490956.png

Let's assume you found a soft game, but the game required that you traveled a fairly long distance to play (distance of course is subjective). Would you go out of your way to make it to that game, or would you just occasionally go when it's most convenient for you and make mental note of it for future reference?
I'd go out of my way. It's all relative anyway - some people don't like driving 30 min for a game; I'm good with two hours. I think game selection is the most important (and often ignored) key to winning poker. Drive, I say!

I want to win, but that's not why I play poker. I love hanging out with the guys, having a few drinks, bullshitting, and shuffling chips.

If it's an unfriendly group, I won't play with them if they are down the road

I want to win, but that's not why I play poker. I love hanging out with the guys, having a few drinks, bullshitting, and shuffling chips.

giphy (6).gif

If it's not social, and not fun... why the hell bother?

This operates under the assumption that money/profits is the primary driving force for those who respond. I suspect the answer would be 'no' for most, even those that play for a living. The commute/time away from family is just too much of an opportunity cost.

It's hard to answer this - just because a game is 'soft' doesn't mean I will beat it for a short term profit in a given session. So would I drive 2 hours each way to play in a soft $1-2 NL home game? For me personally it's not worth 4 hours in the car when there are plenty of virtually identical games closer. But I would be more inclined if it were a higher stakes game or something unavailable anywhere else.

I actually think a more interesting question might be how far you'd be willing to travel for a low stakes game - regardless of the quality of the competition. Would you drive 2 hours to play in a $20 tournament? What about a $100 tournament?

Last edited:

And for me, all that goes without saying, too. Nobody wants to play with assholes, unless maybe you're a pro. But I'd have a hard time showing up for a weekly game with the coolest guys in the world, if I lost every week.
We need a balance, right?

And for me, all that goes without saying, too. Nobody wants to play with assholes, unless maybe you're a pro. But I'd have a hard time showing up for a weekly game with the coolest guys in the world, if I lost every week.
We need a balance, right?

yep. Ideally playing with opponents that are better than you will in turn make you a better player. If not, find a different hobby lol

I'd have a hard time showing up for a weekly game with the coolest guys in the world, if I lost every week.

If you lose every week you need to work on your game. Maybe it's a super tough game that's hard to beat long term, but it's almost impossible not to book a winning session at least once in a while even if you really suck.

If you lose every week you need to work on your game. Maybe it's a super tough game that's hard to beat long term, but it's almost impossible not to book a winning session at least once in a while even if you really suck.

truth ... wait...hmmmmm

There are enough games in my area (within an hour drive) that it would be pretty rare for me to want to drive farther than that to a game. It would have to be worth it - either very soft and high enough stakes, or a really fun group to hang out with.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom