Fantasy Chip Design Tool (1 Viewer)

I still haven't been able to figure this out. A while back I made a lineup and I can only export a chip at a time. When "Saved Chips" is selected, "Export" is greyed out.
Screenshot 2021-07-26 204019.jpg
Screenshot 2021-07-26 204042.jpg

I feel stupid, I'm being defeated. When I created a chip, I used "saved as" and named it. Then I created another chip, using "save as" then saves it under another set. If I use "save" it overwrites the chip I just made.

Don't feel too badly, it took me a while to figure it out and I had to ask for help. Once you get the hang of it, it's an awesome tool. Very non-intuitive user interface, though.

1. tool starts with "Default Set"
2. Set > Save As > give it a name you want for the lineup > Save
3. now mock up the chip in the main window
4. when finished, click (left click, not right) on the chip in the main window and select Save As > Chip #1
5. repeat steps 3 and 4 until you're done adding chips.
6. Set > Save
7. Set > Export as PNG

It never occurred to me to left click on the chip!!!!!!!!!!! I feel so dumb. Thank you :ROFL: :ROFLMAO: :ROFL: :ROFLMAO: :ROFL: :ROFLMAO: :ROFL: :ROFLMAO: :ROFL: :ROFLMAO:

@Tommy are there any further updates planned for the design tool?

Is there any possibility of "improving" the Paulson Colours? I know there are some skilled chippers who could probably help out with that give the examples of their "work" in the past. @JeepologyOffroad @Windwalker @Eloe2000. Im sure there are others but those 3 are top of mind atm.

@Tommy are there any further updates planned for the design tool?

Is there any possibility of "improving" the Paulson Colours? I know there are some skilled chippers who could probably help out with that give the examples of their "work" in the past. @JeepologyOffroad @Windwalker @Eloe2000. Im sure there are others but those 3 are top of mind atm.
I won't speak for anyone but I think making the colors more accurate will be tough. The end user will probably have to have a properly calibrated display to really notice. Just a guess. I have TN panel and the colors are good, but not exactly the most accurate. In my case I'm not sure tweaking them further would have any benefits, for myself.

I haven’t used the tool or kept up with this thread. It is more difficult to build out color swatch tools accurately like this than one might think. People debate the relevance of color accuracy which I find a bit interesting. People think its pointless to spend time and effort improving digital color accuracy since the average user doesn't have a calibrated display. That is a rather nihilistic view. Color display for the masses is both a science and an art. Displays have gotten much better and more uniform over the years, particularly mobile, and mobile displays are much more standardized. Someone who is trying to represent colors accurately digitally doesn't just use a calibrated display, but views on a variety of devices. I know when I am working on important photographs for universal web display I use multiple desktop displays and mobile devices calibrated with different calibrators and also uncalibrated displays. You can do a good job these days representing color on a display.

The more challenging issue in my opinion is representing a series of physical items with different color characteristics which look different relative to each other in different lighting conditions. I built a little photo mock-up tool just for myself for CPC chips and I really noticed how these chips made of seemingly different material looked different relative to each other in direct sunlight vs incandescent light vs dim diffuse light etc. For example Canary does look like a pretty juicy medium yellow in direct sunlight while DG Yellow looks washed out. But under dim light where a lot of us play poker Canary turns towards a sandy dull yellow and then the Arc Yellow pops more than it does in direct sunlight. I don’t think it’s as much of a case with the Paulson chips, but it’s challenging to make a decision how to represent the color considering the look under different lighting conditions. So there are definitely some subjective choices that need to be made about how to represent these colors and you will never be able to completely accurately represent these colors across a variety of lighting conditions.

Additionally, because of the different material characteristics and the texture of the chips I personally prefer to see a photo mock-up, not just a pure digital representation. That’s why I built a mock-up tool for myself using color balanced photos of each CPC sample chip. I found it very useful, but it also has plenty of its own limitations. I know Windwalker did something similar for Paulsons that I believe Jeepology helped him with and Jeepology and I use a photo mock-up tool for CPCs.

Last edited:
I haven’t used the tool or kept up with this thread. It is more difficult to build out color swatch tools accurately like this than one might think. People debate the relevance of color accuracy which I find a bit interesting. People think its pointless to spend time and effort improving digital color accuracy since the average user doesn't have a calibrated display. That is a rather nihilistic view. Color display for the masses is both a science and an art. Displays have gotten much better and more uniform over the years, particularly mobile, and mobile displays are much more standardized. Someone who is trying to represent colors accurately digitally doesn't just use a calibrated display, but views on a variety of devices. I know when I am working on important photographs for universal web display I use multiple desktop displays and mobile devices calibrated with different calibrators and also uncalibrated displays. You can do a good job these days representing color on a display.

The more challenging issue in my opinion is representing a series of physical items with different color characteristics which look different relative to each other in different lighting conditions. I built a little photo mock-up tool just for myself for CPC chips and I really noticed how these chips made of seemingly different material looked different relative to each other in direct sunlight vs incandescent light vs dim diffuse light etc. For example Canary does look like a pretty juicy medium yellow in direct sunlight while DG Yellow looks washed out. But under dim light where a lot of us play poker Canary turns towards a sandy dull yellow and then the Arc Yellow pops more than it does in direct sunlight. I don’t think it’s as much of a case with the Paulson chips, but it’s challenging to make a decision how to represent the color considering the look under different lighting conditions.

Additionally, because of the different material characteristics and the texture of the chips I personally prefer to see a photo mock-up, not just a pure digital representation. That’s why I built a mock-up tool for myself using color balanced photos of each CPC sample chip. I found it very useful, but it also has plenty of its own limitations. I know Windwalker did something similar for Paulsons that I believe Jeepology helped him with and Jeepology and I use a photo mock-up tool for CPCs.
That's what I was trying to say lol :ROFL: :ROFLMAO:

The more challenging issue in my opinion is representing a series of physical items with different color characteristics which look different relative to each other in different lighting conditions. I built a little photo mock-up tool just for myself for CPC chips and I really noticed how these chips made of seemingly different material looked different relative to each other in direct sunlight vs incandescent light vs dim diffuse light etc. For example Canary does look like a pretty juicy medium yellow in direct sunlight while DG Yellow looks washed out. But under dim light where a lot of us play poker Canary turns towards a sandy dull yellow and then the Arc Yellow pops more than it does in direct sunlight. I don’t think it’s as much of a case with the Paulson chips, but it’s challenging to make a decision how to represent the color considering the look under different lighting conditions. So there are definitely some subjective choices that need to be made about how to represent these colors and you will never be able to completely accurately represent these colors across a variety of lighting conditions.

So this is the output for the photo mock-up CPC tool that I used to design my own set but also help some others and Jeep uses too. I like the added benefit of the sense of texture etc. but this has its own limitations. For this tool I took photos of each sample chip under the same lighting condition and then built the cutouts for spot patterns and then use Photoshop layers to mask the different colored sample chips onto the spot patterns. This could be done with THCs using a full Paulson color sample set. I could definitely take care of the photography and color correction but have no idea how to program a tool for web use. And that would be a big project.

All of these images below are composites of color sample chips. I think these will be pretty close to the end result.

@Rbonus012 ’s awesome upcoming set…
F03D1092-3F18-4AEE-B151-9F51C0B4DC52.png
2A46E36C-EE30-4698-8BDC-1038937630EB.png
C478DB38-6FD8-4D1E-A15C-CFB646080557.png

Last edited:
So this is the output for the photo mock-up CPC tool that I used to design my own set but also help some others and Jeep uses too. I like the added benefit of the sense of texture etc. but this has its own limitations. For this tool I took photos of each sample chip under the same lighting condition and then built the cutouts for spot patterns and then use Photoshop layers to mask the different colored sample chips onto the spot patterns. This could be done with THCs using a full Paulson color sample set. I could definitely take care of the photography and color correction but have no idea how to program a tool for web use. And that would be a big project.

All of these images below are composites of color sample chips. I think these will be pretty close to the end result.

View attachment 743452View attachment 743453View attachment 743454
ahem @Tommy.

@someone. get @Eloe2000 a full Paulson colour sample ASAP!

View attachment 743452View attachment 743453View attachment 743454
This is a Kickstarter project I could get behind

ahem @Tommy.

@someone. get @Eloe2000 a full Paulson colour sample ASAP!

Happy to loan my color sample set out to @Eloe2000 if he was so inclined to take on the project, but it's not very user friendly if you aren't at least a little bit familiar with photoshop or similar programs.

Like I mentioned in one of my comments above and like Jeep mentioned, I can photograph and color correct the images of the chips under uniform studio conditions. I can even create the clipping masks. But that is the easy part. The "tool" that I built is just a Photoshop file with layers and clipping masks. It isn't usable to anyone without Photoshop. To make something usable to the public you would need a programmer to make a web app. I am not a programmer and that would be a big project. I wasn't really suggesting we do it.

Like I mentioned in one of my comments above and like Jeep mentioned, I can photograph and color correct the images of the chips under uniform studio conditions. I can even create the clipping masks. But that is the easy part. The "tool" that I built is just a Photoshop file with layers and clipping masks. It isn't usable to anyone without Photoshop. To make something usable to the public you would need a programmer to make a web app. I am not a programmer and that would be a big project. I wasn't really suggesting we do it.
From little things, big things grow! We have the technology and the brains in here. We just need to connect the two or three or however many. Im happy to be the hype guy and project manager.

I'm an avid skier. And I'm pretty sure my customer poker chips will be called "Powder Room". With a ski jumper silhouette. (Powder room is when your skiing in knee deep snow, and there is so much snow around you, you're in a room full of powder :wow: Only thing better than raking in fat stacks of chips is skiing in knee deep POW.

Attachments

• skijump.PNG
    skijump.PNG
    179 KB · Views: 118
  • PowderSkiing.PNG
    PowderSkiing.PNG
    542.6 KB · Views: 119
Definitely need a good programmer with a lot of spare hours to make it usable, but I do love the idea of making a photo based chip design tool for Paulson chips. I agree the easy (although obviously important) part is getting proper photos taken. I tried to hire my brother to program it a few months ago, and I told him that he 100% would get paid fairly from this community if he managed to make something usable. Unfortunately he is too busy writing his PhD, and so he didn't have the time to really look properly into how to build something like that.

Anyways, I would definitely join in on the Kickstarter.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom