Family Spring Break recommendations (2 Viewers)

IaHawk

Straight
Tourney Director
Reaction score
Looking for some recommendations for family spring break spots. I like seeing historical places and visiting national parks. Wife likes pool/beaches...aka, warm weather. Kids are 12 and 10, they aren't too picky. We have ~$1000 Southwest credits we need to use by the summer so if it's near a SW hub, thats a plus.

I needs to be semi-warm, the wife won't approve anything colder then Iowa. Travel dates 3/12-3/19.

Some quick ideas I threw out:
Arizona - never been to the Grand Canyon.
North/South Carolina - never been there...could possibly drive and hit Virginia/DC area.
Texas - I think there are a lot of options here...and it's warm.
Florida - if it were up to my wife, we would find a nice house with a pool. The few areas we checked, the options were limited since we are so close to March.
California - was actually fairly cheap to fly into San Francisco. Son wants to see a Warriors game. Figured we could do China Town, Golden Gate bridge, rail cars, Alcatraz and then go check out Yosemite for a few days. Although I read its not a great time for bears...males are just coming out of hibernation in early March. :oops:
Vegas - I said flights were cheap and she could have her pool time. :)

Appreciate the input. Even if its not something we do this time, I'm putting together a list of different places to go for upcoming trips. Thanks!

Last edited:
In VA, Williamsburg and Jamestown are cool. Also, lots of historical places within an hour (+\-) drive. Monticello, James Madison’s, James Monroe’s houses. All very cool with very well run tours.

I grew up in VA for most of my life and have seen them dozens of times, I still like going.

DC for me is a pass, traffic is aweful, it’s not “nice” that time of year, and the Smithsonian is not really that great anymore. The national Zoo is OK, but not as good as others aside from the Panda’s. But, if you’ve never been, the zoo would be worth it. Note: there is virtually NO parking at the zoo unless you are there right as it opens. There is a trick and is awesome, legit, and works. It cost like $60, but is the best $60 you’ll ever spend. If you end going, PM me and I’ll give you the low down (you can get a special parking pass through the friends of the zoo)

You could easily spend a week in Williamsburg, James town, and a few other sites. It’s a very pretty area as well.

The air and space museum by Dulles airport is also very cool and you could easily spend a day there as well. They have the space shuttle Discovery there as well.

Last edited:
Your SF trip sounds cool man - I would go with that one. Sounds like a little something for everyone in the family.

I really enjoyed Alcatraz - just make sure to also reserve tickets for that one in advance if you go. They sell out quick.

Vegas.

You can take a whole day (literally, 6am to 11pm) and do the bus ride to the Grand Canyon and back.

It's plenty warm there in March (I last went five years ago in early March) and your wife can get her pool/spa time.

Much more for kids to do now than before. There's the shows of course, there's also Topgolf and plenty of stuff on the upper strip. Circus Circus in particular is pretty family friendly.

Dad can go and degen after the wife and kids go to bed.

Win/win/win.

Thanks for the feedback everyone. We decided to go with San Francisco/Yosemite. Will spend first 3 nights in SF and then will head up to Yosemite for 4 days.

Cruises out of Galveston are my go to spring break trip with the kids. It's a vacation for everyone because they can go off all day and we don't have to see them, they don't have to see us. We all meet for dinner and off they go again. They like the independence and we like not having anyone whine about another boring museum/tree/restaurant/are we there yet/I'm bored.........

This is what I have so far. Staying in Fisherman's Wharf for a few nights and then will rent a car and head to Yosemite on the 15th.

SF list: We arrive at 10 PM on the 12th, staying in Fisherman's Wharf through the 15th.
  • Alcatraz tour - will book today.
  • Warriors game on the 14th. Undecided if I just get tickets now or if prices will drop.
  • Golden Gate Bridge
  • Muir Woods
  • Rail Cars
  • China Town
  • SF Aquarium?
  • Twin Peaks?
Also need food recommendations for SF!!!

Yosemite:
We will be at Yosemite from 3/15 to 3/18, staying at Rush Creek Lodge. Will need to rent a car in SF and drive to Yosemite. I really don't have much here besides the normal spots to check out in Yosemite. It sounds like it isnt quite as busy in March as some roads are still closed and there is still snow on some trails/roads. Much more to research here.

Cruises out of Galveston are my go to spring break trip with the kids. It's a vacation for everyone because they can go off all day and we don't have to see them, they don't have to see us. We all meet for dinner and off they go again. They like the independence and we like not having anyone whine about another boring museum/tree/restaurant/are we there yet/I'm bored.........
+1 - we do the Disney cruises out of Galveston when they're here, great family trips.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom