Faded Spade Old school (1 Viewer)

Is this what's referred to as "shade?" Or is there a new term in not aware of??

I have never played with Faded Spade and ordered a handful of setups for 3.0 sight unseen - primarily for the font. I understand that there's hate on hate on hate for them, but the facts of the matter are 1) they have dominated streaming poker for a few years now, and we see them on a daily/nightly basis now over multiple shows, as compared to seeing COPAG (for instance) during their big push for WSOP over a couple months of airtime - like it or not, their marketing has done its job; 2) like it or not - again - they are the first to come out with a new face that isn't standard or jumbo in how long? I hate jumbo but a lot of my players can't read regular index. What's the compromise? There is one and only one.

Not to mention I've had decades of issues with bowed KEMs and chipped Copags to the point that for every setup I order, I force myself to order 2 so I can swap out cards on the fly. What difference does it make if I'm having to replace KEMs or Faded Spades?

Last edited:
Yeah their customer service does not give a shit about you — I had to dispute through PayPal and I won! I would never buy these cards MSRP again - I'd look for a deal if not I'd stick with so many better cards out there.

P.S. I also agree that Faded Spade 3.0 probably were the most reliable, albeit the stiffness and slippery-ness factors.

This is largely subjective, if you like the feel of Faded Spade cards there really aren't to many other choices readily available.

Got my set ups today
4FAAEB72-FB38-4EBE-81A2-B28450E85C63.jpeg
8940F937-13AD-42EC-B18D-118A8370561E.jpeg

Possibly the worst customer service and quality control of all of the major card suppliers. Yes, they show up on streams all the time. Most of the time it is because of payments, not preference.

Yes, they show up on streams all the time. Most of the time it is because of payments, not preference.
I would argue this point.... They look beautiful and really pop on stream. Maybe they're not the best to play/host with, but those streams have to cater to their audience as much as the players.

I wanted a set of RIU branded Faded Spade as soon as I saw them on Jcarver's home game streams. Then I heard all the reviews of 1.0s and 2.0s

I have never played with Faded Spade and ordered a handful of setups for 3.0 sight unseen - primarily for the font. I understand that there's hate on hate on hate for them, but the facts of the matter are 1) they have dominated streaming poker for a few years now, and we see them on a daily/nightly basis now over multiple shows, as compared to seeing COPAG (for instance) during their big push for WSOP over a couple months of airtime - like it or not, their marketing has done its job; 2) like it or not - again - they are the first to come out with a new face that isn't standard or jumbo in how long? I hate jumbo but a lot of my players can't read regular index. What's the compromise? There is one and only one.

Not to mention I've had decades of issues with bowed KEMs and chipped Copags to the point that for every setup I order, I force myself to order 2 so I can swap out cards on the fly. What difference does it make if I'm having to replace KEMs or Faded Spades?
I dunno, I could make the argument that Copag itself is a happy medium. Their standard index has much bolder font than any card that I have seen, and that is one reason I have always loved Copags. If anyone knows of any other cards that are on par with Copag as far as that goes, I eagerly would like to know. I don't like when standard index has an extremely skinny font, despite being able to read them just fine.

As far as criticisms, I get them. However, FS has a nice balance where I think everything is solid. Good design, distinctive font, close to middle of the road thickness (despite feeling very heavy, which I also like) and really nice contour/texture. But that is all preference, and for my preferences FS hits the nail on the head.

Last edited:
Got my decks today. Just what I expected them to be, which is a good thing. Maybe I can have these mixed into a few rounds of our home game :D

Got to use these last night. Played with the regular faded spade cards for a few hours then changed to a fresh deck of the old school ones. First hand I was dealt JJ and was caught off guard by how small the pips were. Just going from the regular faded spade to the old school was a slight adjustment, obviously. Felt good to play with them but I obviously prefer the regular ones. Either way, new and crisp decks are awesome.

Here’s a pic of the split card. Had it for a year, played for about 20 hours. These are bridge size 2.0s

Attachments

• AAF0FB38-AD7C-4A9C-B6E6-BE94AF4235DC.jpeg
    AAF0FB38-AD7C-4A9C-B6E6-BE94AF4235DC.jpeg
    126.8 KB · Views: 106
  • 9BDC975B-CAEE-440F-85FD-8DD987DF4A4A.jpeg
    9BDC975B-CAEE-440F-85FD-8DD987DF4A4A.jpeg
    190.3 KB · Views: 105
I have never seen a card like that. Do you have really sharp fingernails or something
Haha nope regular nails. One of my players noticed it and after reviewing the card I notice it was starting to split apart so I kept on peeling it. I submitted a request to Faded Spade to see if I can get a card replacement. Haven’t heard from them yet. Will report back with any updates.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom