Cancelled Entire Chip Collection - Limited Time Only (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.
My point is that my position is that high end audio cords are a hoax and it’s not possible to measure any actual difference between them and whatever.
Oh good lord - this is worse then the “dibs” debate - lol. This debate has been around for 30+ years.

I’ve had the opportunity to demo (and even own) quite a few (call it a shit ton- lol) of expensive cables. Can they “tune” your system to some degree, yes. Does it make a $20k improvement, IMO - no. Are there bullshit cables out there, yes, lots of them. Are there truly good cables out there yes. Are they worth $30K - IMO, no - not at all. Do I have cables that most would think are stupid $$ that make a difference, yes.

Did I pay full price for them, nope. Would I pay full price for them, probably not. (I’ve known several folks/manufacturers in the biz and have gotten a few deals over the years - lol) The mark-up is incredibly insane.

In terms of “measuring” what exactly are you measuring for…? I can tell you 100% that my VAC tube amps will certainly measure worse then a SS Krell, Rowland, etc., however will sound FAR superior IMO.

I can also say with 100% certainty say internal components “can” make a significant difference. Having rebuilt several old tube amps and swapped caps, resistors, etc - it makes a difference, BIG difference . Old school NOS Allen Bradley’s have a “sound” that is very different then Vishay’s for example. NOS paper in oil caps like Sprague Vit Q’s do make a difference. They measure for shit, but sound glorious!

Does $50k speaker wire sound “glorious”, not in my experience. But, does a MC low output cartridge sound better then a MM high output- yes, IMO. Does my cartridge sound better then a cheap cartridge- no question.

All that said, In the end, audio is like assholes and opinions- everyone’s got one - lol.

There is certainly a point of diminishing returns and in my 35+ years in the hobby the absolute best sounding systems I’ve heard were absolutely NOT the most expensive (and I’ve listened to some serious big boy systems in my time - lol)

Like any “luxury” hobby, there are always those manufacturers catering to people who want to display price tags and go for bright and shiny. In audio - those who know, know - lol.

True, it's a scam for the most part. Remember Monster Cables? Total scam.
Monster cables was, is, and alway has been garbage - lol. Noel Lee is a complete and total piece of shit.

Monster has never really had a place in the Audiophile community. They were the dice chips of Audio - lol.

i'm sorry, did you say Black Lotus?
When these first came out I had a friend that had one, lost a match with it, and my other friend took the card and ripped it in half. The 2 minutes of incredulous staring was only topped by the 5 minute long full contact UFC match that ensued in his living room.

Oh good lord - this is worse then the “dibs” debate - lol. This debate has been around for 30+ years.
Yeah, I know :). Just wanted to poke a bit and see if anybody got angry. I’m saying it doesn’t matter how many oxyfree, gold plated, tripple action blahabla you put in a simple speaker wire. The only thing that changes is your subjective perception. Afaik, no one has been able to tell the difference in a blind test. Placebo!

Perhaps not the best place to start such a discussion though. Sorry @flipupchipup

wouldn't audiophile level equipment be a better investment, or less bad investment than poker chips? i would think those prices have probably gone up even more than chip prices, no?
If you buy new, generally worse, much worse. Very rarely does new/recent production gear increase in value - pretty much never.

When you sell, it’s usually at about a 50% hit from new. There is a very robust and active used market place where stuff kinda gets a price/value attached to it and it generally sticks.

Audio is generally not a good investment. Vinyl, Vintage gear, and tubes are another matter, but generally not investment worthy unless you found the mother load of NOS tubes, or mint killer vinyl collection. That could be very lucrative if you have the patients to parse it out over time.

But have you ever heard any oxygen-free speaker cables?! I mean c’mon…
Of course - it’s OFC copper. Used in all manner of sensitive electronics including scientific, medical equipment, avionics - up to and including the electronics in your car. If your car has a sensor based throttle (as most cars do), I guarantee the wiring is OFC..

Hundreds of manufacturers making the stuff and they ain’t making it for audio cables - lol. Market is not near big enough. Audio manufacturers just started using what was already available from other industries.

Of course - it’s OFC copper. Used in all manner of sensitive electronics including scientific, medical equipment, avionics - up to and including the electronics in your car. If your car has a sensor based throttle (as most cars do), I guarantee the wiring is OFC..

Hundreds of manufacturers making the stuff and they ain’t making it for audio cables - lol. Market is not near big enough. Audio manufacturers just started using what was already available from other industries.

Not quite sure what the point of this listing is to be quite honest. If their was only one or maybe two intended buyers in mind, why not just go direct as opposed to creating an listing with zero intention of replying to certain inquiries?

Not quite sure what the point of this listing is to be quite honest. If their was only one or maybe two intended buyers in mind, why not just go direct as opposed to creating an listing with zero intention of replying to certain inquiries?
For baller status? (worked on me)

If it was solely to piss off the “dibs if split” crowd, he’s got my eternal admiration.

If it was solely to piss off the “dibs if split” crowd, he’s got my eternal admiration.

If so, touché lol On most days, PCF is awesome. On some days, you question whether or not a prescription needs to be written for crazy pills. If you wanna flex your nuts, just apply for Brazzers lol Not directed at the OP. Speaking in general.

Yeah, I know :). Just wanted to poke a bit and see if anybody got angry. I’m saying it doesn’t matter how many oxyfree, gold plated, tripple action blahabla you put in a simple speaker wire. The only thing that changes is your subjective perception. Afaik, no one has been able to tell the difference in a blind test. Placebo!

Perhaps not the best place to start such a discussion though. Sorry @flipupchipup
Oh I know, lol - all good!! This debate has been raging on AudioAsylum for years - haha.

I actually agree with you for the most part and most high dollar audio cables are 99% marketing (that work 100%, 60% of the time :ROFL: :ROFLMAO: ). FOR SURE.

Cables are 85% hype. The mark up is so huge (like 1000% huge), it attracts lots of manufacturers to enter the mkt.

That’s said, the 15% is pretty legit and shared across recording, production, broadcasting, live concerts, etc., - and makes pretty good logical sense . That last 15% can make a difference. I’ve noticed it most in tone-arm wire and from my TT to pre-amp.

And lastly, you are correct - I forgot this was a sales thread - hahha. Apologies :cool

Acoustic Signature makes a vinyl record player that retails at $200,000.

The Robb Report has done a piece on the most expensive speaker cables in the world.

Like chippers, audiophiles come in all kinds of income sizes and shapes, and with varying levels of price tolerance for what they think will be the most amazing option.

Somewhere, an audiophile who plays poker has just heard about a 500-chipset that sold for $4,000, and just said to his friend, “Suckers. Paying thousands when a $20 set from Target would do.”
Maybe the $200,000 record player is for the club DJ's that make $200k a night to scratch vinyl's. :ROFL: :ROFLMAO:

Monster cables was, is, and alway has been garbage - lol. Noel Lee is a complete and total piece of shit.

Monster has never really had a place in the Audiophile community. They were the dice chips of Audio - lol.
Oh crap, now your telling me I have to disassemble and rebuild my home theatre system??

When these first came out I had a friend that had one, lost a match with it, and my other friend took the card and ripped it in half. The 2 minutes of incredulous staring was only topped by the 5 minute long full contact UFC match that ensued in his living room.

i can only imagine how they both feel about that now, lol. i junped in one run too late, so my biggest card was an unlimited icy manipulator. and i still sold it for too little.

I always felt speakers were the most important component in a high end system
I always heard/felt the same. Although these days, due to work related hearing loss/impairment, I would say that good hearing would be #1... ;) (OTOH, one good thing about not having great hearing is that a "mediocre" sound system like the OEM stereo in my 2019 Honda Accord EXL sounds perfectly fine to me... ha)

Update:

First and foremost, I want to thank everyone for the kind words, and the also not so kind ones (they did give me a good laugh). This thread was put up rather sporadically upon some news I was given last week, and the onset feelings after posting it began weighing heavy. I did not begin engaging with anyone until Saturday morning. After doing a video call with one individual, I really started having second thoughts after going through rack by rack, and uncovering a plethora of things that have taken years and years to put together. I ended up responding to a couple other PMs briefly, and if I didn't respond to your PM, I do apologize - it was not a slight in any way, just a hesitation to move forward with selling everything.

I was very fortunate to be able to move forward with the other opportunity without having to do a quick liquidation, so I do feel extremely grateful for that. Some of these chips may hit the block, but I will be more concise with breakdowns, and pictures, when and if that does take place.

Last thing; while I have had the great opportunity of buying lots of chips over the years, and subsequently putting together an okay collection, the friendships and personal relationships I've developed here mean miles more than any material chip. I would gladly take those relationships over these chips, any day of the week. Thanks again to everyone who reached out

Update:

First and foremost, I want to thank everyone for the kind words, and the also not so kind ones (they did give me a good laugh). This thread was put up rather sporadically upon some news I was given last week, and the onset feelings after posting it began weighing heavy. I did not begin engaging with anyone until Saturday morning. After doing a video call with one individual, I really started having second thoughts after going through rack by rack, and uncovering a plethora of things that have taken years and years to put together. I ended up responding to a couple other PMs briefly, and if I didn't respond to your PM, I do apologize - it was not a slight in any way, just a hesitation to move forward with selling everything.

I was very fortunate to be able to move forward with the other opportunity without having to do a quick liquidation, so I do feel extremely grateful for that. Some of these chips may hit the block, but I will be more concise with breakdowns, and pictures, when and if that does take place.

Last thing; while I have had the great opportunity of buying lots of chips over the years, and subsequently putting together an okay collection, the friendships and personal relationships I've developed here mean miles more than any material chip. I would gladly take those relationships over these chips, any day of the week. Thanks again to everyone who reached out
Good for you, and good luck!

Update:

Glad the other opportunity came through, Josh. Congrats!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom