Emergency Preparedness (1 Viewer)

I'm prepared to be the first to die in the event of a major emergency and I'm perfectly okay with that.

And so the ‘Feast of Craig’ was had…
The survivors lasted another 3 weeks till help arrived. And his sacrifice was never forgotten

I dug into this rabbit hole not too long ago to make my own plan, tailored to my specific case. It's definitely true - do not blindly follow some stupid check lists you can find out there. Always do a sanity check: Do I really need this and that on that list? Do I maybe need something else which is not on that list? Your personal living situation, your area, your mobility options, and of course the scenario(s) you are prepping for heavily influence the gear you need to pack.

Won't go into the details of anything I myself may or may not have done, but one piece of advice might be helpful for people new to the topic: Bunkers full with years worth of food supplies are shit. Or at least a terrible cost-benefit-ratio. Much of the food will go bad sooner or later, so if you want to keep your food bunker ready, you will have to regularly replace the stuff you stock. And you most likely will have to throw the expired stuff away, at least most of it, unless you love to eat that kind of stuff daily in your normal life. What a huge waste. And yeah, you better don't have anyone find out about your bunker because they will come knocking if they do. If you're wealthy and can *easily* afford it, well sure, go for it. It doesn't hurt to have that if the cost doesn't affect you much. But if you don't have infinite resources to buy stuff and keep it ready - the average human body can live without food for a pretty long time, multiple weeks. In this time frame, chances are pretty good you can find a source of food in whatever disaster you find yourself in. Growling stomach isn't fun for sure, but you won't die from it so fast. Body just draws what it needs from your body's fat tissue. The more obese you are, the longer you last - at least in that regard, I'm not going into risk of illnesses here.

What every body does absolutely need, with only tiny tolerance windows in comparison, is a) water and b) warmth.

Stocking loads of water directly is also not the smartest idea; water actually does go bad. Much better to have a natural water source (spring, river) somewhere in reach and filters to make it drinkable, e.g. Lifestraw. The filters don't cost that much, take very little space and they work for a long time until they need replacing. They also work much faster than chemically treating water, which can take multiple hours.

Acquiring and keeping warmth gets more easy the smaller the volume of air around you is that you need to keep warm. The most extreme case is a mummy-style winter sleeping bag where, when fully closed, pretty much only your nose sticks out.

Giving this thread a bump. Now that it's summer, I'm removing all my winter gear from my car kit. Just wondering if anyone has any suggestions on summer specific items to stock in my car kit?

Giving this thread a bump. Now that it's summer, I'm removing all my winter gear from my car kit. Just wondering if anyone has any suggestions on summer specific items to stock in my car kit?

Folding pocket knife
Lighter/matches
Fishing line or thread with a needle
Water
Compass

The above as essential basics in order and then,

For every day carry I suggest something in 45 or 9mm.

Tequila
A wide brim hat
Funny looking sunglasses
A driving map of Somalia (just for fun)
An expired Kmart gift card (for self defense)

I've been thinking about my emergency kit for kayak fishing. If you fish Rocky Mountain lakes, you will get caught out. Have my water emergency gear but need to pack ultralight shelter and stuff for over night forced stay. Maybe extra night if wife is cranky

My summer time emergency kit?

A few extra cases of drinks in case poker runs late and the crew is especially thirsty.

An extra hundred dollars in small bills to cash folks out.

A small roll of hundreds in case things go wrong with my game at the table.

An assortment of frozen "heat and serve" snacks - dinner was hours ago. Though a 24 hour What-a-Burger is a two minute drive away.

Extra set ups. Oh, and an extra rack of high denomination chips

Good to go! -=- DrStrange

Thinking of more summer specific items for my car kit:

- bug repellent
- SPF sunscreen
- use the extra space for a few more bottles of water

Can't really think of anything else that's summer specific

Water is key in the summer. The other items you mentioned are all good as well (aloe is a good addition too for sunburn). An extra pair of lightweight socks is a good idea too (for when your feet get wet in the rain/t-storm), and make sure your ponchos are still there.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom