Dune 2021 (Movie) (1 Viewer)

Also, Villeneuve has said in interviews that he had always envisioned 3 films.

Which makes complete sense, since the original Dune novel is split into 3 defined sections.

This was why I was hoping for just a little bit more in the first movie, because this one ended in somewhat of a non-organic place in the flow of the plot. The way things need to go, there will be a bit of a timeline hiccup when the next part comes out. Eagerly awaiting Oct 20, 2023 (which will also happen to be my elder son's 21st birthday).

Which makes complete sense, since the original Dune novel is split into 3 defined sections.

This was why I was hoping for just a little bit more in the first movie, because this one ended in somewhat of a non-organic place in the flow of the plot. The way things need to go, there will be a bit of a timeline hiccup when the next part comes out. Eagerly awaiting Oct 20, 2023 (which will also happen to be my elder son's 21st birthday).

I'm assuming they'll pick up Part II several years later and will have some flashbacks to what they discover in-between. They changed up the plot a bit at the end, in the book Paul & Jessica travel with the Fremen for a few days before the duel with Jamis. The problem with the film going a bit further into the story here is that it gets you into a whole new theme / reveal that would have taken another 30-40 minutes to properly flesh out.

Loved the books and really impressed with the cast choices. Haven’t seen this remake yet but looking forward to it.

Poker chip label tribute!

dunechip.jpg

Forgot to mention in my overanalytical earlier reply as to how absolutely bad ass the portrayal of the ornithopters were, I was super impressed with the graphical work on those. Totally geeked out when those came on screen, lol.

"I always envisioned three movies ... It's not that I want to do a franchise, but this is Dune, and Dune is a huge story. To honor it, I think you would need at least three movies. That would be the dream. To follow Paul Atreides and his full arc would be nice ... Herbert wrote six books, and the more he was writing, the more it was getting psychedelic ... So I don't know how some of them could be adapted. One thing at a time. If I ever have the chance to do Dune: Part Two and Dune Messiah, I'm blessed."

I wasn’t planning to watch it twice, but I thought my girlfriend had no interest—generally hates sci-fi—so I saw it solo first. But she kept hearing about it and got curious.

I liked it better on the second viewing. The sets and effects are excellent, as is the cast. At first I thought Chalamet was a poor choice, but by the end of the second viewing I was good with it. Rebecca Ferguson really carries the movie IMHO. Plenty of excellent minor roles as well.

I read the books fully 40 years ago. So to be honest I can’t really remember enough to say how true it is to Herbert. Certainly moreso than the Kyle McLaughlin version.

My only annoyance was with some of the dream/vision sequences which seemed a bit repetitive and dragged out. OK, he keeps seeing the same girl, then he finally meets her. Got the point the first two times.

Oh, and yeah, sucks to wait 18-24 months for Part II.

P.S. Girlfriend fell asleep several times

Last edited:
Reading the books right now (on book 5), and absolutely loved the movie. Incredibly true to the novel, and a ton of easter eggs for people who know the original story. Things like the deaf guard, Thufir's eyes when calculating, and so much more.

My only issue was how cavalier they treated the desert. Tromping around in the daytime, never covering up their faces with the stilsuits... You don't get just how brutal the desert is supposed to be. Other than that though, I thought it was magnificent.

Dune 2 is definitely happening. Director said that the first half was just an appetizer

Saw a $6 matinee of Dune 2 yesterday. Reactions:
  1. Hadn’t seen a movie in a theater in a long time. Sound was awesome; picture sucked. Large digital projection can’t compete with a 77" OLED.
  2. Chalamet was miscast, and he can barely act unless he’s running, fighting or shouting. Give him more than two consecutive sentences and it’s a disaster. The scenes between him and Zendaya were at the level of a 1981 After School Special.
  3. Zendaya was poorly used. Given nothing to do but either make eyes or scowl at Paul.
  4. Total waste of Walken as well. It seems he was told to model his character’s speech and gait on 2024 Biden.
  5. Lots of great effects, and the Harkonians were great villains.
  6. Very muddled storytelling, even for those familiar with the original/Herbert.
But did I get $6 worth of entertainment? I guess.

Saw a $6 matinee of Dune 2 yesterday. Reactions:
  1. Hadn’t seen a movie in a theater in a long time. Sound was awesome; picture sucked. Large digital projection can’t compete with a 77" OLED.
  2. Chalamet was miscast, and he can barely act unless he’s running, fighting or shouting. Give him more than two consecutive sentences and it’s a disaster. The scenes between him and Zendaya were at the level of a 1981 After School Special.
  3. Zendaya was poorly used. Given nothing to do but either make eyes or scowl at Paul.
  4. Total waste of Walken as well. It seems he was told to model his character’s speech and gait on 2024 Biden.
  5. Lots of great effects, and the Harkonians were great villains.
  6. Very muddled storytelling, even for those familiar with the original/Herbert.
But did I get $6 worth of entertainment? I guess.
I saw it this past weekend. My son works at the theatre so it cost me $0. (I paid $10 for the popcorn and sodas with this discount). Sometimes those are free too.

I enjoyed it, but I don't really know much about Dune, and it's been a while since I saw the 1st one. It was a little slow in some parts, but not terrible.

I do like free movies though, and I don't have a 77" OLED ... yet

The box office numbers I guess have been huge, so probably they will make the finale.
Finale? The books go on well beyond what they could put in a part 3.

Paul's kids have stories, Alia's story wasn't in there really at all, Dune's future, and I'm guessing the fight with the other great houses will / could be more of a focus. They might even jump off of the book's story line.

Part 3? Does that mean that this second one doesn't finish the story???? Or is the third one extra material that weren't a part of the 1980s version?

Part 3? Does that mean that this second one doesn't finish the story???? Or is the third one extra material that weren't a part of the 1980s version?
Part 1 and 2 cover the first book which was so large it had to be split into two movies. There are multiple books that follow the original Dune book.

Thanks @megarises - I saw the original film, and didn't get the message that this last one was only a part remake, not a remake of the 1980s movie story and was traumatized. I'm just needing to get the right frame of mind going into this next installment.

It ends essentially where the 80s movie did, if you don't know there is a 90s mini series as well.

Ummm...are you sure you didn't miss the joke?
I was trying to turn your joke into a serious consideration for a label!! I don’t think the Dune parody was lost on me.. but …

Dune 2 was very worth watching, especially in the cinema! However, from my perspective, it could have been even darker. What particularly surprised me is that compared to the 1984 adaptation, the perspective on the protagonist has changed so much. A great modern interpretation of the book.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom