Dune 2021 (Movie) (1 Viewer)

Leonard

Flush
Supporter
Reaction score
I just watched the newly released Dune by Denis Villeneuve. I first read the books in the 1970s and was not especially pleased with either of the first two movie adaptions. This is clearly the best of the film versions, in my opinion. Only half a story, unfortunately, and I rather doubt the second half will ever get made. It was released simultaneously streaming and in theaters which may well hurt its profits enough to kill the second half. It seems too much a niche film to hit it big in the box office.

It's really hard to say what someone would think if they were not familiar with the story, but I liked it quite a bit. At 2 ½ hours for half the book, they didn't have to leave that much out. Baron Harkonnen never seems as evil in the movies as he did when I first read the books. We barely meet Chani and the Fremen before it's all over.

That said I had fun watching it on HBO Max and may even go see it in a theater for the full experience.

L

I’ve been rereading Dune the last few weeks, I adored the books in high school (got bored around maybe God Emperor?). Been looking forward to the movie for years, the cast looks fantastic, I think there may be more sci fi lovers out there than one might think and I hope it’s more broadly appealing too.

I’ve been rereading Dune the last few weeks, I adored the books in high school (got bored around maybe God Emperor?). Been looking forward to the movie for years, the cast looks fantastic, I think there may be more sci fi lovers out there than one might think and I hope it’s more broadly appealing too.
I know literally nothing about Dune but have anxiously been waiting for this. Love the director’s previous work. I’ll probably watch on HBO max tomorrow night :)

I've heard good things so I'm cautiously optimistic. Its such a cerebral book - half of the first book is spent in various characters heads - that's really tough to translate to the screen. But if anyone can give it due service its Denis Villeneuve. Will definitely see it in the theater once work dies down.

huge fan of the books and planning on seeing the movies this weekend. My understanding is that the second movie will be made as long as this one doesn't flop: One article from today shared this: "A Warner Bros. exec made it sound like the Dune sequel was basically confirmed. 'Will we have a sequel to Dune? If you watch the movie you see how it ends. I think you pretty much know the answer to that,' said WarnerMedia Studios and Networks Chair and CEO Ann Sarnoff in the interview." Keep your fingers crossed.

I am looking forward to this. My daughter has invited me to watch on her large screen tv. I read all of the books though it was a long time ago. I felt hugely let down by the prior film with Kyle Maclaughlin. Too much of people talking without moving their lips. It showed the difficulty of adapting the book to the screen when so much is the thoughts of the various characters.

I am also looking forward to the Wheel of Time on Amazon Prime. It’s a good time to be a Sci Fi/ Fantasy Fan.

I just watched it. Literally logged into PCF as soon as the movie was over. Found this thread. I'm pissed. I had no idea that this was half a movie with no end in sight. I hate that. Generally a good adaptation, though.

I believe they are going to make the 2nd half = Dune Part 2 - the director said Part 1 is just an appetizer so the studios probably knew what was to be invested despite initial reaction of the first release.

Saw it in IMAX last night. Awesome edition. I also saw the first movie at the theater back when. Wish they would have had a scene on folding space but other than that I thought awesome film work. Hopefully the second half gets made.

I’m a huge fan of the book. Have been excited since this film was announced.

Visually, it’s stunning and overall very well done so far.. but am wondering if it will capture “new” fans.

A lot of the dramatic pauses had no context unless you have read the book (or at least seen Lynchs’ version. Which is why he went with voice overs). Which may leave some confused.

Can’t wait for part 2:)rolleyes:) tho.

I also watched it last night. As a fan of the books and even the Lynch version, I really enjoyed it. However I don’t think the casual viewer would really understand what’s going. As such it would surprise me if the second part gets made since it’s undoubtedly expensive given the cast and visuals - it’s bound to be a box office flop. Totally not what I want but it’s the inevitability of the movie business.

The director seems to be pretty passionate about the sequel happening, imdb has part of the cast lined up already, but who knows

I watched it last night with couple people. Had never read the books or seen previous movie takes, but I enjoyed this one quite a bit.

I’m planning to read the books now but also hoping the 2nd part at least gets made

Just watched it. Really enjoyed it. But I can definitely see why there would be a lot of head-scratching for those not very familiar with the source material. And I expected more plot to be revealed before the last cut to make a more organic break in line with the novel.

I went with my 23 year old son who had never read the book or seen the first movie. He absolutely loved it and could not stop talking about it. He went out and bought the book today.

My son just texted me, "Don't watch Dune, best way to describe it is tedious".

I also watched it last night. As a fan of the books and even the Lynch version, I really enjoyed it. However I don’t think the casual viewer would really understand what’s going. As such it would surprise me if the second part gets made since it’s undoubtedly expensive given the cast and visuals - it’s bound to be a box office flop. Totally not what I want but it’s the inevitability of the movie business.

I think my son and I fall in this category. Hence his statement above.

BTW, I had a party last night. I served Chimichangas. Your hot sauce was a huge hit. Especially the Devils Ketchup!

My wife and I knew nothing about the books but watched it last night. Neither one of us understood or liked it and we stopped paying attention 3/4 through. We are likely those casual viewers that don't get it.

Loved the movie today, saw it in “4d” and was a great experience. Can’t wait for part 2 and hopefully, beyond.

Of course, I already know the characters and motivations from the books. Would have preferred Jodorowsky's vision ;) but I’ll take what I can get.

Last edited:
$130m world wide foreign box office and $40m domestic opening weekend (even considering availability on HBO Max), I would be willing to bet you will see the next installment. This thing will be pushing half a billion box office before it is done, then Christmas merchandise, etc.

I decided to give Dune a shot this morning. I really liked it. I enjoyed the story, the special effects, damn near everything about it. Jake also complained about the ending. I didn't mind that either.

This isn't a bad thing. It felt a lot like the original Star Wars trilogy.

For the record. I fall into the category of movie viewer that doesn't know shit about Dune.

My wife and I knew nothing about the books but watched it last night. Neither one of us understood or liked it and we stopped paying attention 3/4 through. We are likely those casual viewers that don't get it.
You should turn off the sound and do your own mystery theater 202020. Film it if you do.

I saw Dune in the movies the other day, it was very well done and damn true to the book, I was definitely not disappointed! I thought Villeneuve did a fantastic job bringing the inner dialog components to the screen and IMHO nailed the feeling and tone of the book. The cinematography, score, pacing and world building were brilliant, and cast performances were all spot on. The only technical flaw I found was with some of the sound editing early in the movie, there were a few scenes where the dialog/whispering was too soft to hear and important subtitles shot by waaaay too fast to read. I will likely try to catch it again in the theater, and will be thoroughly disappointed if Villeneuve doesn't get to make part 2. I don't know if it'll have the appeal to go further than that, but hopefully they at least finish the first book.

I know of several folks who had no prior knowledge of the source material, about half of which were lost, and half really enjoyed it regardless - which really confused me at first, but after seeing it I understand why. For those who take movies at face value and just go to be entertained, I think you'll thoroughly enjoy it. For those who really need to delve into the inner workings, details, the whos and the whys - you may come away lacking without getting just a little background information prior to the viewing. My wife and kids totally fall into this second category, I primed them a bit on the overall story and some key points on a few characters (of which there are A LOT) on the car ride over to the theater, and they all said they're glad I did - all 3 spent the entire ending credits peppering me with questions on the politics and scheming and allegiances lol. But they all said it was really good. The story in the book is really complex and contrived - the film hits enough of the main plot points with just enough character development to get the "casual" sci-fi fan through the story, while at the same time adding enough detail through visuals, costumes and subtle cues for those that really enjoyed the book, similar to what Peter Jackson was able to do with the LOTR movies.

and will be thoroughly disappointed if Villeneuve doesn't get to make part 2. I don't know if it'll have the appeal to go further than that, but hopefully they at least finish the first book.
Dune 2 was greenlit and officially announced last week.

Also, Villeneuve has said in interviews that he had always envisioned 3 films.

Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom