DrJohn's Chip Pr0n #42 - Dragonara Palace Malta Clays & plaques (1 Viewer)

I had a short conversation with @BGinGA in another thread, but thought it might be better to move it here.

I had posted that I thought my hot stamped Dragonara 5 shilling chips were leaded, since they weigh in at over 11 grams. Dave stated that they are not leaded. He usually knows what he is talking about, so I just wondered if others who own these agree that there is no lead in the early Dragonara hot stamp chips, and if so, then what was added to get the extra weight?

All my inlayed chips are lighter, in the 9.0-9.5 g range. But the hot stamped chips are a few years older, and all mine weigh over 10.5 g. I just wonder what was in them if not lead, and why they changed the formula when switching from the hot stamps to the inlays?

It may just be that specific color -- some color formulas (and ingredients) weigh more than others. Some vary dramatically.

And historically, hot-stamped chips weigh more than chips with inlays, given that all other variables remain the same -- hot-stamped clay weighs more vs when it's displaced by lighter inlay materials (paper, linen, or vinyl) during the pressing process.

But Burt Co./ASM has never used lead in any of their chip composition formulas, although a few chips they produced have contained metal weights hidden under the inlays.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom