Don't Throw Me in the Briar Patch: Poll (2 Viewers)

Do you know what "Don't throw me in the Briar Patch" means?

• Yes, I am familiar with the saying, and I don't think it is racist.

Votes: 21 58.3%
  • Yes, I am familiar with the saying, and I think it is racist.

Votes: 2 5.6%
  • No, I've never hear it before

Votes: 13 36.1%

• Total voters
Know the story and agree with Leonard regarding historical and literary criticism.

The birth date is wrong but close enough for purposes of this thread. :rolleyes:

courage_RIP.jpg

45, I know the meaning of the expression and the source. I haven't seen the movie/heard the story in such a long time that I can't really express an opinion on whether or not I find either to be racist. The saying itself is not remotely racist IMO.

Yes, I know this phrase and use it from time to time. It has a rather precise but complex meaning, very handy.

No, I don't see it as racist though the vernacular used in some of the stories is peculiar to the old south and could easily be perceived as demeaning and racist to an audience who does not understand the context. These stories are derived from both American Indian and African cultures.

Quick wiki link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Br'er_Rabbit

DrStrange

I know the story, but never heard the phrase "Don't throw me in the brier patch." before. I've used the term tar baby to describe someone that sucks your energy from you. Then someone pointed out the obvious racial implication. age 38

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom