Does anybody here prefer China Clays to American Compression Clays? (1 Viewer)

Not even considering price. I'd buy cheap plastics first.

I like the Royals for what they are. I’ve had samples of them and others. I would never consider any other China Clay.

Paulson and ASM/CPC are a much better value. I picked up 1200 ASM (or possibly Burt) chips for $700 shipped the other day.:D

China Clays are perfectly usable chips. Many people love them, and that's fine.

But to me, they could never replace a true compression clay in any respect, even at a similar price point. Why?
- many of them feel like soft plastic
- many of them make an awful clunking sound when shuffled
- they don't provide a lot of game security because anyone can get them at any time unless you customize
- they depreciate (more) in value

"But clay is so expensive" is the retort. But in my experience, you can get vintage ASMs for about 0.30 a chip. If you're willing to put in a little work, and you've got a drill press or a router, you can have a custom clay set in almost no time. Paranoids can come even cheaper.

Short answer: NO

long answer: Hell No!

Buy quality the first time and you only have the pain once but the enjoyment of it for as long as you own it. Very few things I buy are the cheap version to save a little money. They usually end up costing you more in the long run when you have to replace them more often and get less use/enjoyment/satisfaction from them.

Personally, I think they feel great. If people were to be blindfolded, noseplugged, and asked to assess them by feel, I think the hate would fade from the results of the survey. Having said that, I don't own a set of CC's, but I have spent thousands of dollars (that I can't afford to have spent) on thousands of Paulsons (and a few TRK's and other "high pressure" chips - no vinyls).

Well, China Clays are still poker chips.
Bad example... how about asking a bunch of rednecks at a bar (myself included) if they would like a zima or Smirnoff Ice instead of a Budwiser for the next round? Lmao

For the record, I am a fan of the Royals and CPS chips but that's about it, and would still take an American Clay chip over those.

"But clay is so expensive" is the retort. But in my experience, you can get vintage ASMs for about 0.30 a chip. If you're willing to put in a little work, and you've got a drill press or a router, you can have a custom clay set in almost no time. Paranoids can come even cheaper.
I understand this, but even then, I live in an apartment and can't set up a drill press or router, then with the cost of custom hot stamps or labels, plus getting someone else to mill them, they become more expensive than custom mint CPCs.

tenor (2).gif

Personally, I think they feel great. If people were to be blindfolded, noseplugged, and asked to assess them by feel, I think the hate would fade from the results of the survey. Having said that, I don't own a set of CC's, but I have spent thousands of dollars (that I can't afford to have spent) on thousands of Paulsons (and a few TRK's and other "high pressure" chips - no vinyls).
1) You'd be right for the general population, and way wrong for most of the chippers here. and
2) You want me to buy poker chips that I need to wear a nose plugs to appreciate?

Whatever happened to the OG runs of PGI China Clays? Why'd they stop producing those, I heard they were very close to Paulsons.

I understand this, but even then, I live in an apartment and can't set up a drill press or router, then with the cost of custom hot stamps or labels, plus getting someone else to mill them, they become more expensive than custom mint CPCs.

Not nearly. But certainly more expensive. Other people's services do cost money. But FWIW the prices for said service is more than fair.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom