Cash Game Do you ever cut anyone off? (1 Viewer)

I really don't understand why people have issues with someone who is willing to and can afford to play like a maniac throwing money around. Those are the best players to have in a cash game!

What do you guys do at your home games? 6 folds, limp, call, check, flop, min bet, 2 folds? Sounds like an awesome time.

Edited bold for clarification.

Last edited:
I really don't understand why people have issues with someone who is willing to and can afford to play like a maniac throwing money around. That's the best players to have in a cash game!

What do you guys do at your home games? 6 folds, limp, call, check, flop, min bet, 2 folds? Sounds like an awesome time.

I don't want to take my friends house. Only their cars :) We try not to get to crazy lol

I really don't understand why people have issues with someone who is willing to and can afford to play like a maniac throwing money around. Those are the best players to have in a cash game!

I think that at some point, you have to be a friend/decent person/host. As friends, we sometimes know our friends current circumstances, and I think there’s a reasonable time to step in, but that’s completely subjective. I would not allow a good friend of mine to get in over his head. On that same note, if it’s someone new to the game, I cant judge what determines a good time for that person (as opposed to when he’s toting the line of going overboard) so I really can’t tell the new guy, he’s in for too much.

Guess it’s just situational for me.

For cash games, when I revived my game last year, all of the regulars and I agreed upon a limit of three rebuys on top of the initial buy in. There is a wide disparity of incomes among the regular players. I and three of the other regulars have done ok and have had stable, full time jobs (I worry about one now though, he's a music teacher and the specials and extracurriculars are among the first to be laid off if the school district can't afford it). I have two lawyers and they'll be fine. Otherwise, the other guys don't make more than 50k and are all still living at home.

From my end, I feel guilty forcing those that aren't comfortable into a .25/.50 game, for example, if someone can't afford it. I base my stakes and buy ins on my players' comfort level. Because of all of the aforementioned, we usually play 0.10/0.20 at a 50 BB minimum and 100 BB maximum. I don't want to chip bully those with a 50 BB stack with my 200 BB stack. The game isn't fun that way. We have a 0.25/0.25 game once in a blue moon when things get crazy and we haven't played in a while. Everyone in that case buys in for $25 with a $100 total maximum per person for the night. We're all friends and everyone has fun for the most part. A couple of guys get steamed for a bit if they're coolered a couple of times, but they are usually the LAGey players among very passive/tight players and usually get their money back over the course of the game, if not the next game.

To answer the question posed by the thread though, no. Only on a handful of occasions has someone gotten to their third rebuy of the night. I've never had to cut anyone off and there have been no qualms raised about the rule we all agreed upon regarding rebuys.

I think that at some point, you have to be a friend/decent person/host. As friends, we sometimes know our friends current circumstances, and I think there’s a reasonable time to step in, but that’s completely subjective.

I agree there is a point at which to step in. But it really a personal thing, not something a house rule should really address, such as the suggestions of nightly limits. There can even be responsibility issues with such rules in place, it's better to look for those signs than hope hard rules save the issue.

These sort of problems take more than a night to reveal themselves. The point at which I would step in is knowing about bad debt. In our group we found out about one such host having issues and figured it was best not to give him action until he gets things straightened out.

Aside from that, I would rather trust the players I invite are willing contestants for the agreed stake and will bring enough to play a few buy-ins to keep the game going for a good length of time. Looking at it this way has served my game just fine.

I’m not trying to thread jack but this conversation has gotten interesting and brings other things into play.

Suppose said player is having a bad night and you know the guy is pushing his limits, but you also know that he/she is a good enough player to win it back? What do you do in this situation? Example: Said person has gotten in multiple times consistently ahead and is playing good poker. If you draw a line, where do you draw it?

I’m not trying to thread jack but this conversation has gotten interesting and brings other things into play.

Suppose said player is having a bad night and you know the guy is pushing his limits, but you also know that he/she is a good enough player to win it back? What do you do in this situation? Example: Said person has gotten in multiple times consistently ahead and is playing good poker. If you draw a line, where do you draw it?
It's so tough and dependent on the context of the situation. How well do the players know each other? If it's a good friend or even an acquaintance, someone that has played in the game for many years, I tend to trust them and let them carry on, especially if they are playing well and getting coolered and/or running horrifically bad. If they are known to be reckless and are known to be in some kind of debt or financial difficulty, I'd approach them to the side if I was hosting and ask them what's up.

In a more competitive game where the player isn't as well known and the game isn't so "friendly ", so to speak, I wouldn't say much of anything if at all.

If a guy is "pushing his limits" he actually isn't really playing good poker. He is by definition playing scared money. And people should be free to make that decision for themselves. However, if I knew a player was running up debts from playing, I thing the better way to handle this is not inviting the person, instead of trying to make a mid game determination as to whether or not inviting the person in the first place was the right thing to do.

This is also why I don't make loans as host either. It makes it easier to cut such players off when they go any deeper than what they carry. I have done vennmo as a matter of convenience for some players, but honestly, even that is something I would reconsider if I think players are having problems.

But in general, I feel strongly the invitation is the point at which this issue should be handled, not trying to make a value judgement on players during a game as to whether or not inviting the person was a mistake.

I only know one host that has gone to bed early when hosting at his house...
To be fair we have had other hosts sleep while they were playing...
And I have certainly been guilty of being “absent minded”, especially late in the evening.
Oh yeah, once @Boother36 locked himself in his bathroom for a good hour! We kept playing!

Oh yeah, once @Boother36 locked himself in his bathroom for a good hour! We kept playing!

This is true. :nailbite::wow::whistle: :whistling:

One of these days I’ll tell you guys the story of the dude who took 100% of his clothes off while playing. He even hung his tighty whiteys from the basement lights! There were girls at the table and he was a ginger if I recall correctly. @Boother36 back me up on this one!

And unfortunately, this one is true too!! :jawdrop::wtf::vomit:

If a guy is "pushing his limits" he actually isn't really playing good poker.

I’d say he’s not managing his money well, but getting your money in good only to have someone suck out on you isn’t necessarily bad poker. Different conversation.

I do agree with the rest of your assessment of the situation. As the host, I’m not one to make loans (honestly, I’ve never been approached about it) so I have no experience there. I’m not sure I’d be so inclined to loan our money to individuals to gamble with me, but of course, the situation matters.

I’d say he’s not managing his money well, but getting your money in good only to have someone suck out on you isn’t necessarily bad poker. Different conversation.

I really disagree, but in my view, money management is part of the umbrella of good strategy, not separate from it.

If someone who is "playing good poker" plays a game high enough that he will be prevented from "playing good poker" because of a suckout (or a cooler in the famous case of "Rounders") that seems like a strategic blunder to me. Especially if this realization causes the player to change strategy to avoid highly profitable spots because of high variance.

But to tie it back to the main point, I assume everything players put on the table is at stake and players deserve the respect of making that decision for themselves. I think hosts mandating money management is as out of line as embarrassing a player for poor play. If I have an obligation to protect that player from himself, I believe that obligation is realized with the invite list.

One of these days I’ll tell you guys the story of the dude who took 100% of his clothes off while playing. He even hung his tighty whiteys from the basement lights! There were girls at the table and he was a ginger if I recall correctly. @Boother36 back me up on this one!
And unfortunately, this one is true too!!
Pics or it didn't happen!

[Clicks "Unwatch"]

In my online game we have a variety of players from a variety of backgrounds with a variety of playing styles. Cash game blinds are .25/.25 with a min $20 and max $50 initial buy in.

Some of the players don't feel comfortable if they had to risk more than $30-$40 a night, and would simply stop playing if they lost $50 a few weeks in a row (or even once). Others wouldn't think twice about dropping $200-$300 a week for multiple weeks. The latter group's tendency of buying in for the max, re-buying multiple times and turning every hand into a battle for stacks tends to intimidate and discourage the more frugal players.

If I had a large enough player pool I would either open the game up and let the less affluent players drop out, or run two tables with different stakes. As it is I put in a maximum $100 per night total buy in limit, and that seems to satisfy both groups of players. The less affluent players may only buy in for $20 -$30, play for a few hours, and then thank me for a fun night of poker as they leave either up or down around $20. The more affluent players buy in for the max, rebuy once again for the max, and then thank me for a fun night of poker when they lose or win around $100. I keep both groups happy, get to play some poker against different player styles, and ensure that the pool of players is willing to return next week for more.

S'all I got.

mGh7EJi.png

i-got-my-hand-cut-off-i-got-my-hand-51239390.png

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom