Tourney Do you allow chops? (1 Viewer)

Do you allow chops?

• Yes

Votes: 48 85.7%
  • No

Votes: 8 14.3%

• Total voters
If chops really grind your gears, but your players seem hellbent on them, consider flatting your payouts.
I've found that flatter payouts can also lead to chops.... because the difference in payouts wasn't considered 'worth playing for'. :rolleyes:

All depends on the crowd, I think.

I allow chops when these conditions are met:
a) Heads-up.
b) Reaching time limit for tournament. (6 hours in total, including breaks).

It rarely happens, but the group is okay with doing so, if it has been played HU for a long time and we are reaching the time limit.

Most of my tournaments are long-format, meaning they run 8-9 hours, and since it's not a league setup I allow chops.

My official rules only allow chops for top-two, and only after heads-up play has begun. Sometimes I will change the rule on the fly and allow chopping for top three if it's getting very late (er... early).

Then, this past game I got an offer I couldn’t pass up. With 3 left, and stacks of 145k, 130k, & 115k (me), they offered me 1st in points and a three way equal $$ chop. No way I could say no to that

That's exactly why I don't allow points chops in league tournaments -- it is unfair to other players in the point standings to allow some players to artificially manipulate the awarded points to their advantage.

I agree (theoretically, I must add, because I've never run a league). I don't think I would allow players to make deals regarding points.

Money? Fine. Even with anti-chop rules there's nothing that keeps the players from settling later.

t’s often one party asking while the other really doesn’t want to do it.

If the other party says "no thanks", then its a non issue. I usually ask to chop. I want to get to the cash game. Some guys say no. Then I try to crush them. If they say yes, great!!!

That's a reasonable compromise that offers no possible advantage to the active players while protecting the integrity of the system.
There is actually one unlikely scenario where this could be angled. It's far fetched, but hear me out. :)

Let's say you and me are heads up. You lead the league and I'm runner up, trailing by one point. This is the final game and the difference between first and second is more than one point, meaning he who wins this battle wins the league.

If winning the league is important to you, but I'm only after the money, then you could offer a chop where I get all the money, and you get none. You have now bought the title, without breaking a single rule.

If we were forced to play it out, we could of course achieve the same thing, but that would be colluding, i.e., breaking rules.

I'm not dissing the method, in practice it probably works excellent, this was just an academic exercise. :)

There is actually one unlikely scenario where this could be angled. It's far fetched, but hear me out. :)

Let's say you and me are heads up. You lead the league and I'm runner up, trailing by one point. This is the final game and the difference between first and second is more than one point, meaning he who wins this battle wins the league.

If winning the league is important to you, but I'm only after the money, then you could offer a chop where I get all the money, and you get none. You have now bought the title, without breaking a single rule.

If we were forced to play it out, we could of course achieve the same thing, but that would be colluding, i.e., breaking rules.

I'm not dissing the method, in practice it probably works excellent, this was just an academic exercise. :)
I'm a lot less concerned if it only affects the two players involved, and has zero impact on other players.

I leave it up to the final two players in home tourney. Usually we convince them so we can play another tourney.

For money, there is nothing a TD can do to stop chops and why would she/he want to?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom