Do I need a pedestal stretcher? (1 Viewer)

poislb

Pair
Reaction score
So I’m in the final stages of building my table, do you think I need a bottom stretcher? I’m gonna have a hard time trying to match up the wood cause it’s an older wood that I rehabbed back to life. If I need a stretcher I was thinking about mounting a metal/threaded rod or something similar if that makes sense

table is 7ft and the legs are 33” apart from the middle
2B9BCEEF-B50D-4315-802D-73A27D37449A.png
F2A2B6AF-9B12-450A-B7E3-78AB97FAD7C6.jpeg
2B5FC8C9-0E5A-42EA-BF45-FF975EDE0F14.jpeg
0B39B09A-30E1-4398-8CEF-4AB43CE9B1BB.jpeg

To me, for looks alone, I would add a stretcher. I think you would be able to get pretty close with a piece of oak. Love the pedestals.

I plan on adding one when I get around to using the table I bought off of Craigslist four years ago. I am not concerned about matching and was going to just do two pieces of wood and dado or router out a channel to insert a decorative panel (something like suits or a name). Not sure if you’re doing a black vinyl rail but if so can easily justify doing a black stretcher. Consider it a chance to add another detail to the table not just function.

Need? As long as you feel the table is sturdy enough, then not definitely yes. I highly recommend adding one though, it'll stiffen up the table much more. Over time, without the stretcher, the table legs might start to get a bit of play because it's not joined at the bottom. Adding the stretcher adds a ton of rigidity.

The stain looks like dark walnut, you shouldn't have much trouble getting a close color match. The wood is Oak for sure.

I would add one for strengh and a foot rest. That is common red oak. This species doesn't have a lot of color change over time unless exposed to direct sunlight for extended periods. Stain to match and you'll be very happy with the results.

Thanks for everyone’s feedback, got some oak and gluing 2x1/2” by 6” pieces together.. they had nothing is what they call 5/4 width in nothing smaller than 8 foot... yeah 40 buck, the 2 piece cost me 16 plus some hanger bolts

mixing some stains together as the glue drys, should get close..

8496CA5D-FB41-45A9-AEFD-2662C30ACAEC.jpeg

To me, for looks alone, I would add a stretcher. I think you would be able to get pretty close with a piece of oak. Love the pedestals.
This...I put one on mine solely for looks. Stability is fine with those wide pedestals (assume 10"?) but the stretcher just makes it look a little nicer IMO.

The table is incomplete without it. Anybody buying a poker table or other without the stretcher will know it's missing the stetcher...

Got it all squared up and ready for drilling... had to rip the board down a little, Wife thought it was to tall....lol. So now it’s a 4.25” instead of 5.75
A2DBDB6E-3A88-45DE-AEC3-8D2460BC90A6.jpeg

Reactions: 72o
Finally got around to getting these installed, been playing around with stains...not gonna be exact but close.
04F31E2A-647E-4516-8C4D-34E254EF2E65.jpeg

Thanks for all the advance, I do absolutely love the stretcher look...makes it look complete

What they charge you to sew the seams? I've called a place and they wouldn't give me a price. I'm not gonna wait till its done to get the bill.

Great table, and nice call on the stretcher. Looks like it was always a part of the table.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom