Cash Game Do I need a limit set? (1 Viewer)

@Sisu41 we know you're young and just starting; tons of gorgeous sets on here but you were just talking about getting your first real set and setting up poker nights. Take your time and play some poker before buying another full set.

A normal no limit breakdown can work for limit, just more change making, dont worry about buying a specialized set just yet.

This is great advice. Something I rarely practice or suggest. So, fuck it. Buy another set! The more the better!

I would do 2/4. 1/2 is going to play a lot smaller than most 25/50c games. You generally want 25bb as the buyin so 1/2 would play with effective stacks of $50 (tho technically you can buyin for whatever you want, it’s limit poker)

2/4 isn’t much bigger at $100, and gives you a lot more chip options plus differentiates somewhat from a big bet set if you use $2 chips as the workhorse and $1 antes in stud variants.

The bad news is that 2/4 with $2s is a 1 chip/2 chip game which isn’t really great for limit. It’s a nice option for future proofing your limit set if you think you’ll ever play 4/8 all the way up to 8/16 though.

I would do 2/4. 1/2 is going to play a lot smaller than most 25/50c games. You generally want 25bb as the buyin so 1/2 would play with effective stacks of $50 (tho technically you can buyin for whatever you want, it’s limit poker)

2/4 isn’t much bigger at $100, and gives you a lot more chip options plus differentiates somewhat from a big bet set if you use $2 chips as the workhorse and $1 antes in stud variants.

The bad news is that 2/4 with $2s is a 1 chip/2 chip game which isn’t really great for limit. It’s a nice option for future proofing your limit set if you think you’ll ever play 4/8 all the way up to 8/16 though.

^^^^^^ this

I have $1.00 chips. I use them for everything up to $4/$8. It is a blast when you have 4 racks of chips in front of you!

The answer is no, you don't need a limit set. You're just starting and still asking how to convince your parents to help you buy chips and how to get people to play with you. Thats not a position where you have to optimize your chips. Im not being dismissive, Im being real; youve got chips that would make 99% of the world very happy, youre just surrounded by older people with disposable incomes that love chips.

Play with your chips for a while and work on your dealing and hosting game, homie, learn to walk then run. Especially at low stakes, just use the chips you've got. None of this is said as a bad thing, its all love, just different situations.

The answer is no, you don't need a limit set. You're just starting and still asking how to convince your parents to help you buy chips and how to get people to play with you. Thats not a position where you have to optimize your chips. Im not being dismissive, Im being real; youve got chips that would make 99% of the world very happy, youre just surrounded by older people with disposable incomes that love chips.

Play with your chips for a while and work on your dealing and hosting game, homie, learn to walk then run. Especially at low stakes, just use the chips you've got. None of this is said as a bad thing, its all love, just different situations.

Again, phenomenal advice

Buy more chips!!!!

Unless….

Your one set is a limit set….

I’m 100% limit and 100% happy.

OP states they already have a chipset, I see your soapbox and goddamn, do I respect it lol. I too love limit.
That first cash set?
so you think you can dance GIF by Fox TV

:ninja:

I only play limit poker and love it. With friends at home, I think limit is the way to go. Dealer’s choice / mixed games are so much fun.

And I only have limit sets, 3 of them so we can rotate a bit.

Mostly $2/$4 ($100 buy in) and $3/$6 ($150 buy in), but have a $2 limit set to play $4/$8 ($200 buy in) if the chance presents itself.

Obligatory pr0n…

IMG_3759.jpeg

IMG_0399.jpeg

IMG_3581.jpeg

Please explain? Limit is a totally different beast, many here use limit sets to teach mixed games as pot limit can be extremely dangerous on split Omaha games.

Curious what is meant by simpler? I am personally not a huge fan of limit poker... if you don't play the proper stakes it can play extremely slow and boring (for the record many here are still limit fans so I don't speak for all)

As to "should I buy another set?" The answer is always YES moar chips is always better... but make sure you pick the right stakes or maybe consider a NCV set so the values of the chops can change as the game grows.

I was lucky enough to put this one together a few years back
View attachment 1242996
View attachment 1242997
And still haven't even started relabeling the Black's as $20s... tells you how often I need a limit set! But still recommend buying one if you have the itch for MOAR chips!
++1 this ^^^

I will probably be the minority view here, but I started building a limit set and found it to be a waste of time and money. And anybody who knows me knows that I am almost always in the more chips is more better camp.

As Ben said, it's a different beast, and I have such a wide range of players that some of my peeps found it slow and boring, while some were mildly okay with it. SO, you really need to figure out if it will work for your specific group.

If you think your peeps would like it, then definitely go for it!!

Good luck!!

Jesus... Just buy a couple of buckets of cheap plastic crap. I somehow decided to buy suitcases for my sets. (Previously, they were mostly in boxes). I found 3-4 of them at the local market for 5-10 € each.. And now I have a ten-liter bucket of chips....
And just try it...

Is this hosted in Nova by any chance? :love:
I love limit. It's my favorite format for a casual game where I just wanna get drunk and drag pots around. The biggest pro of limit for me is how fast it is, calms the ADHD a bit.

View attachment 1243209

paris $1's can be had for cheap in good condition

I think the absolute minimum amount of workhorse chips you need is 800, roughly a rack per person. Two racks per person is good though.

tldr, get a limit set, everyone should play more limit!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom