Cash Game Determining Hi/Lowest Unique rank hands in 8 games (1 Viewer)

Phantom

Full House
Reaction score
Hi,
Toying with the idea of adding '8' style games to the rotation and was just wondering on determining the low unique rank aspect mostly.

In the scenario (Scrotum 8) where Player A holds 4h5d6s8s and Player B holds 3s7sTsJs and the board runs out JdTh7h9sAs giving Player A a straight and Player B a flush, is it the case that Player A takes half the pot with the straight as it is 8 or lower, and Player B takes the hi with the flush?

Also, if you had any other type of low cards, as long as they are under 8, does it matter if you have two-pair, a set or quads? If you had 3d3c3hAs in hand on a board of 3s9hTd7cJs, would that qualify as both hi and low?

If someone could point me in the right direction regarding the standard rule for 8 games that would be great.
Cheers,
Adam

It's nice to see another person interested in 8-or-better high/low split games.

In the scenario (Scrotum 8) where Player A holds 4h5d6s8s and Player B holds 3s7sTsJs and the board runs out JdTh7h9sAs giving Player A a straight and Player B a flush, is it the case that Player A takes half the pot with the straight as it is 8 or lower, and Player B takes the hi with the flush?

Correct. Player A has the best (and only) low hand, and Player B's flush beats Player A's straight for high. In 8-or-better (also 8/b or 8OB), straights and flushes do not count against you. If Player A's cards were suited in spades, he would have also won the high with a straight flush, for a scoop.

Also, if you had any other type of low cards, as long as they are under 8, does it matter if you have two-pair, a set or quads? If you had 3d3c3hAs in hand on a board of 3s9hTd7cJs, would that qualify as both hi and low?

Nope, 8-or-better requires five unique ranks. 3d3c3hAs can never win low in Scrotum 8 because all four cards must be played. Unlike straights and flushes, in 8/b, even a hand with a pair will not qualify for low. This hand is only eligible to take the high with quad threes.

If the game were Omaha 8, the board were 2s9hTd7c6s, and the player held the same 3d3c3hAs, he would play the As and any one of the threes along with the three low cards from the board and would win or tie for the low. In this example, any combination of A3 in the hand would be the nut low.

To evaluate two or more hands that qualify for low, it's helpful to convert each hand to a numerical value starting with the highest digit. Ignoring suits, consider 24567, A2348, and A234J. Although the third hand, A234J, has four of the "best" low cards, it doesn't qualify for low because of the Jack. The second hand has the four best low ranks (A234), but the 8 makes it higher than 24567. This is easily understood by converting the hands to numbers: we have 76,542 and 84,321. 76542 is the best low hand in this example. These hands are referred to by their highest ranks: 7-low and 8-low.

If the highest ranks are tied (e.g., both are 7-low), we compare the second-highest cards. If those are also tied, we compare the third-highest cards. I've seen low hands decided by the fifth card (e.g., 7643A vs. 76432).

Have fun, and good luck!!!

It's nice to see another person interested in 8-or-better high/low split games.

Correct. Player A has the best (and only) low hand, and Player B's flush beats Player A's straight for high. In 8-or-better (also 8/b or 8OB), straights and flushes do not count against you. If Player A's cards were suited in spades, he would have also won the high with a straight flush, for a scoop.

Nope, 8-or-better requires five unique ranks. 3d3c3hAs can never win low in Scrotum 8 because all four cards must be played. Unlike straights and flushes, in 8/b, even a hand with a pair will not qualify for low. This hand is only eligible to take the high with quad threes.

If the game were Omaha 8, the board were 2s9hTd7c6s, and the player held the same 3d3c3hAs, he would play the As and any one of the threes along with the three low cards from the board and would win or tie for the low. In this example, any combination of A3 in the hand would be the nut low.

To evaluate two or more hands that qualify for low, it's helpful to convert each hand to a numerical value starting with the highest digit. Ignoring suits, consider 24567, A2348, and A234J. Although the third hand, A234J, has four of the "best" low cards, it doesn't qualify for low because of the Jack. The second hand has the four best low ranks (A234), but the 8 makes it higher than 24567. This is easily understood by converting the hands to numbers: we have 76,542 and 84,321. 76542 is the best low hand in this example. These hands are referred to by their highest ranks: 7-low and 8-low.

If the highest ranks are tied (e.g., both are 7-low), we compare the second-highest cards. If those are also tied, we compare the third-highest cards. I've seen low hands decided by the fifth card (e.g., 7643A vs. 76432).

Have fun, and good luck!!!
So awesome of you Abby, thanks so much for taking the time to explain :). Your cards are amazing and have really helped me move out from NLHE with confidence :). My crew now play PLO, SOHE and Scrotum (we call it Sabre haha). I thought the 8 games would definitely make it more interesting. Thanks again. If I have any other questions I hope you don't mind me bothering you again :)

I absolutely love Hi/Lo split pot games. Big O is another good one (5 card Omaha Hi/Lo). One of my favorite games is Draw2maha!!!

So awesome of you Abby, thanks so much for taking the time to explain :). Your cards are amazing and have really helped me move out from NLHE with confidence :). My crew now play PLO, SOHE and Scrotum (we call it Sabre haha). I thought the 8 games would definitely make it more interesting. Thanks again. If I have any other questions I hope you don't mind me bothering you again :)
Thank you for your very kind remarks. Do reach out anytime you have any questions. I'm happy to help.

I absolutely love Hi/Lo split pot games. Big O is another good one (5 card Omaha Hi/Lo). One of my favorite games is Draw2maha!!!

I agree -- Big O is a great game!

@codeman00 we finally have our answer on converting low hands to numbers!

@codeman00 we finally have our answer on converting low hands to numbers!

A commonly used expression to declare your low hand that will work in most occasions, is just declare your low as the first two cards. In the example above, 76542 would be a "7 6" and the 84321 would be a "8 4". Some will also say seventy-six or eighty-four to declare their low.

Hi @abby99 and others :) , another '8' question :) - Omaha this time

Can you use two of the hole cards to make the high hand, and then your other 2 (or any two card combo) to make the low hand?

Player A - Ac2s9s5d
Player B - Ah2c4dQh

Board ran out - 9d5c4c8s9h

Correct me if wrong;

Player A has a full-house to take the high and take half the pot.
Both have A2 which qualifies for the low.
Can Player A now use the A2 and split the low pot with Player B (Player A effectively taking 75% of the pot)?

Hope that makes sense.

Thanks.

any two for the low and any two for the high. The cards are interchangeable.

Yes, quartering in 08 is common.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom