Detailed Table Build - Raised rail, LED strip, custom cloth (5 Viewers)

well done

that is some nice work.

Where in oz are you?

Geoff

Hey mate, thanks for that - pretty happy with it!

I'm in Newcastle (I visit Canberra sometimes for work, too cold right now!).

Alrighty, and tonight with all these grooves and panels/strips cut, I wanted to give it a bit of a test fit with a couple of diffuser panels in place. I haven't glued down any of the riser pieces yet, that will come next, just wanted to see how everything fit together before I went too far and couldn't change riser positions etc.

The piece you see in front of the diffuser came from a suggestion in my other rail design thread, but that piece extends essentially the height of the surface foam that will be applied to the playing surface, so that when the cloth is wrapped around, it gives it a nice edge, rather than compressing the edge of the foam and making a round edge into the diffuser panel - that's the plan anyway!

View attachment 736063

View attachment 736064

How's that for minimum diffusing distance!?! :eek:

View attachment 736065

View attachment 736066

Only got 2x diffuser panels in place, but can see it gives a nice even glow (that dark patch is just where the LED rope excess is currently, will sort that later on).

View attachment 736067

Can see only the top of the neon flex tube extends above the playing surface, hiding the dark strip exactly as measured...whew.

View attachment 736068

View attachment 736069

and that's it for today. More to follow in the coming days. Really looking forward to getting into the upholstery stage and seeing this thing really come to life!
@chkyrslf Amazing! I'm doing something very similar with strips of acrylic I'll cut as a diffuser. One question... did you glue the ends of each strip together or just set them in the routed groove nice and tight?

@chkyrslf Amazing! I'm doing something very similar with strips of acrylic I'll cut as a diffuser. One question... did you glue the ends of each strip together or just set them in the routed groove nice and tight?

Hey sorry for the delay! Nope absolutely no glueing here. The strips are pressed in so tight, it was just a matter of trying to get the edges of each piece to sit up against each other as flush as possible (which meant ensuring the edge cuts were as straight as could be).

Hey sorry for the delay! Nope absolutely no glueing here. The strips are pressed in so tight, it was just a matter of trying to get the edges of each piece to sit up against each other as flush as possible (which meant ensuring the edge cuts were as straight as could be).
Got it and thanks. I'll be cutting my strips of acrylic this weekend so I'll just go into it expecting an all day long process like you had. Anything shorter than that I'll chalk up as a win.

Okay update time! Been a slow couple of weeks, but nudging closer to the finish line.

Next up was doing the cupholders. I had seen the idea on here for the double stage and while I've seen some of those marine ones you guys buy in the US, I just ordered a set of jumbo and a set of mini cupholders, with the plan of punching a hole in the jumbo and brazing a mini to the bottom of it.

Luckily a mate offered to use his lathe which made the job so much easier and precise.

View attachment 736035 View attachment 736036

The minis actually fit so snugly into the jumbos that brazing wasn't needed, so I went with some epoxy glue instead - plus brazing would've likely left scorch marks so this will do the job and the lip of the mini cupholder will take the weight anyway. I set up a little jig to hold them while the epoxy set, and also put some weights in them to make sure the minis were pulled down into the jumbo while the glue set.

View attachment 736037

Then it was time to cut out the playing surface - this is because I'll be wrapping the cloth around this piece rather than all the way to the edge of the table. So back to the router jig!

View attachment 736038

View attachment 736039

The double cupholder idea is a stroke of genius. Have you played on it yet? How are they working out?

The double cupholder idea is a stroke of genius. Have you played on it yet? How are they working out?
I certainly can't take credit for that! Saw it on here with Chanman and a few others, certainly a great idea!

Yeah it's working out perfectly, have had a few games on it now. Perfect for beer bottles, cans, and whiskey glasses! They all sit nice and low and can't be knocked over :cool

Such an amazing build! Thanks for sharing the details. Plan to use your build as my template.

Well done!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom