Detailed Table Build - Raised rail, LED strip, custom cloth (2 Viewers)

Check out a place called Daley’s. Much better for all foams and vinyls.

how much did the wood set you back? Was looking to make one with the old man and it seemed a waste to almost buy 3 massive planks of plywood and leave the majority of it.

Love that cloth design. Itll definitely look great in that space. Do you have a link to those diffused neon led's? I have similar strips running the ceiling of my basement but theyre only one color.

Love that cloth design. Itll definitely look great in that space. Do you have a link to those diffused neon led's? I have similar strips running the ceiling of my basement but theyre only one color.

Thanks! This probably won't help you, as we have different stores here in Aus, but Bunnings is like Lowe's in the US.

https://www.bunnings.com.au/suntuf-1200-x-600-x-3mm-uv-diffuser-polycarbonate-sheet_p1010811

But it's an opaque polycarbonate sheet that is meant to diffuse sunlight...

how much did the wood set you back? Was looking to make one with the old man and it seemed a waste to almost buy 3 massive planks of plywood and leave the majority of it.

@sharik224 Hey sorry I missed this one. Yeah so I splurged a little by getting the 3x sheets of plywood (some make do with 2), and I also bought structural grade stuff where many don't - so my cost wouldn't be indicative of the norm.

But mine were $90/sheet, so AUD$270, and then a few smaller sheets of 3mm and 6mm, so prob spent a bit over AUD$300 on plywood all up. I also made 2x tables, so...

@sharik224 Hey sorry I missed this one. Yeah so I splurged a little by getting the 3x sheets of plywood (some make do with 2), and I also bought structural grade stuff where many don't - so my cost wouldn't be indicative of the norm.

But mine were $90/sheet, so AUD$270, and then a few smaller sheets of 3mm and 6mm, so prob spent a bit over AUD$300 on plywood all up. I also made 2x tables, so...
That's not too bad considering you got two tables out of it and looking at what places charge for entry level fold-able ones .
chuurs for the info

pull the staples and use a heat gun. You’ll be glad you did.
Are you saying to use a hot glue gun to hold down the vinyl instead of staples?
And it'll be strong enough to hold and stay in place w/o staples?

No not a hot glue gun
A heat gun, like a hairdryer, to soften the vinyl

I used a hair dryer on the main table vinyl (don't have a heat gun) - thanks for the tip mate!

Final update to come in a few days :eek: finally...

Alright, so started by upholstering the rail and to give it a bit of extra padding, I first added a layer of the closed cell foam leftover from the playing surface before adding the main open-cell foam.

133 - Copy.jpg
136 - Copy.jpg

Then put the main layer of foam on top. This one is a bit firmer than the foam used on the other table, and feels spot on for what I'm going for.

134 - Copy.jpg
135 - Copy.jpg

Sprayed some adhesive around the cup rings to ensure the foam would hold to the edges and not pull open gaps around there when pulled tight.

137 - Copy.jpg
138 - Copy.jpg

Sprayed adhesive around the edges, let it get tacky for a few mins, and then pressed the foam to set it against the edges. Then took the electric carving knife and cut it down.

139 - Copy.jpg
140 - Copy.jpg

141 - Copy.jpg

Laid the rail down on the sheet of vinyl, and stapled it up. Followed the usual approach of cutting slits to pull the inside taught and staple again (this bit is the suckiest of table making! :cautious:)

142 - Copy.jpg
144 - Copy.jpg

143 - Copy.jpg
145 - Copy.jpg

146 - Copy.jpg
149 - Copy.jpg

You might remember on the underside of the rail, there is only 9mm to staple the inside of the vinyl in order to accommodate the light diffuser panel in its groove. Thanks to @xdan 's suggestion, I stapled over this first to get it set tight, and then came back and marked that groove's edge and ran a line of staples along that 9mm strip. Kind of like stitching. You can see that line in these pics.

I left it like this until the very end to allow the vinyl to kind of set and stick in this position before cutting the slot for the diffuser.

161 - Copy.jpg
148 - Copy.jpg

Attachments

• 147 - Copy.jpg
    147 - Copy.jpg
    189.5 KB · Views: 80
Last edited:
Now onto the riser section, where I also want to wrap this in foam and vinyl so it's becoming like an extension of the rail upholstery (but a separate modular piece).

150 - Copy.jpg
151 - Copy.jpg

Then I took the carving knife around this section and cut it on a bit of an angle, as when it's pulled tight with the vinyl, I didn't want it bunching up as the rail has to mount flush on top of this piece (and this piece onto the base).

152 - Copy.jpg
153 - Copy.jpg

Wrapping the riser section in vinyl...

155 - Copy.jpg

154 - Copy.jpg
156 - Copy.jpg

Bit of a test fit to see how it will look with the rail on top...

158 - Copy.jpg

Went through the same process as a rail by cutting slits, except this was a lot easier as it's essentially two outers as opposed to having to do the difficult part on the inside of the rail.

160 - Copy.jpg

159 - Copy.jpg
162 - Copy.jpg

Attachments

• 161 - Copy.jpg
    161 - Copy.jpg
    186.2 KB · Views: 72
Following @bsdunbar1 's great suggestion, I wrapped the playing surface in a strip of ply to create a sharp edge when the felt is fastened, which will sit nicely against the diffuser strip.

I had to find a way to apply pressure, and after first using tape on the foam which pulled a little off, I had to come up with a system that pulled from the other side of the table. Looks like a bed that belongs in an asylum :wtf:

163 - Copy.jpg
166 - Copy.jpg

Then laid out the felt and accurately measured the betting line to ensure straight and equidistant from all edges (one THOUSAND adjustments required!). Stapled, and cut flush.

167 - Copy.jpg
168 - Copy.jpg

Last edited:
Laid out the LED strip and ran all the cables. Affixed the IR receiver and WiFi box in position.

169 - Copy.jpg
170 - Copy.jpg

Finally cut the rail vinyl behind the staple line ready for the diffuser strip.

171 - Copy.jpg

And almost at the very end! Fitting the diffuser panel into the groove and ready to mount the rail together with the riser section.

172 - Copy.jpg
173 - Copy.jpg

174 - Copy.jpg

and now onto the final assembly!!

175 - Copy.jpg

176 - Copy.jpg
177 - Copy.jpg

The rail/riser section was an extremely tight fit. It all came together fine pre-felt install, but that extra mm of material around was enough to make it a real press fit so I had to help it down with the help of a few clamps.

178 - Copy.jpg

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom