Tourney Deep stack tournament with re-buy and addon options (1 Viewer)

Frode789

Two Pair
Reaction score
The ever-ending question about re-buys and addons..
My old tournament (250BB) had one re-buy/addon for first 2 hours. Addon was 1/4th SS (and saw good response, usually 60%-75% buys it).
Rebuy was on average 0-1 per tournament, more often 0. The time it does happen, it isn't because someone felted, but because they had maybe around half stack, but paid a full buy-in for re-fill to start stack. We don't have maniacs in my group.

New tournament, will be increased to 300BB. Same blind increases (50-33), fairly slow levels at 24 min.
250 BB (old) vs 300 BB (new).
After two hours of play, the final level before re-buy/addon break, was played with
62,5 BB (old) vs 75 BB (new)

So, since we rarely saw re-buys before (felted), I'm assuming that the chance to bust with the new plan is even smaller, so basically only the addon will be relevant. Re-buy will almost never happen.
Thus, I had a plan to maybe alter the options to (original buy-in for 90K is 200 NOK):

Felted or UNDER 45K:
1 "re-buy" (if felted) or as addon? 45K - 100 NOK. (28.13 BB)
OR
1 addon for 25K - 55 NOK. (15.6 BB)

Since the "re-buy" is now half price, it will be a far more interesting option for those who are cruising around half stack. Previously they would not re-buy. They would sometimes addon, but that only brings half the chips/money into the pot compared to the "half re-buy".
---------------------
Thoughts? Anyone done something similar? Unsure about the "threshold".

I like addons, simply because it's a nice way to get more money in pot, but it is OPTIONAL (as opposed to just raising the buy-in). I've asked about raising the buy-in, and it has been frowned upon by some in the group.. So this is a better way I think.
Re-buy is also nice to have in some form or another, but with 300BB it kind of shouldn't really happen.. :p

Goals
  • Get more money in pot outside of the buy-ins. But still keep the tournament deep stacked. (minimum 250 BB).
  • Bad beat/cold deck protection. (if felted). For example, they start with 45K, 28 BB, which is a manageable stack.
  • Allow the ones with the smallest stacks to catch up a little bit (45K option), at the expense of fueling more money into the pot of course.

Last edited:
I've done half-stack re-buy events in the past, where players with less than half of their starting stack can purchase a half-stack re-buy to top off (or two half-stacks if felted). I think it works best for big-swing events like PLO and circus games, where large pots are common, but is less useful for most HLHE formats.

Our standard 300bb NLHE events currently offer full re-buys along with surrender re-buys (one per player), and an optional half-stack add-on (for half price) at the end of the re-buy period. Re-buy rate is about 20%, and the add-on rate is about 80%.

I've done half-stack re-buy events in the past, where players with less than half of their starting stack can purchase a half-stack re-buy to top off (or two half-stacks if felted). I think it works best for big-swing events like PLO and circus games, where large pots are common, but is less useful for most HLHE formats.

Our standard 300bb NLHE events currently offer full re-buys along with surrender re-buys (one per player), and an optional half-stack add-on (for half price) at the end of the re-buy period. Re-buy rate is about 20%, and the add-on rate is about 80%.

Ah okay, I suppose that makes sense. :)

Is there a limit as to what is recommended as the max stack when rebuying? I've seen 20-30 BB thrown around as the "recommended area", but I've also seen some talk about using 50ish BB. (for my schedule, it would land either at 56 BB or 41 BB (1600 BB level or 2200 BB level).

I usually target between 25bb and 50bb, preferring larger amounts as the minimum value for re-buys. I think 20bb is the bare minimum.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom