Cursive: irrelevant or actually detrimental to society? (1 Viewer)

What is your opinion of cursive writing?

• It is useless, but does not pose a direct threat to my enjoyment of life.

Votes: 17 58.6%
  • It operates to actively undermine the happiness of all humanity.

Votes: 6 20.7%
  • I love it. How else would I fill out the Furby order form when someone is using my landline?

Votes: 6 20.7%

• Total voters
the evidence continues to mount against the plague of curvy connecting letters.

wfZgsOe.jpg

Well now since I'm in 3rd grade gen ed. I'm responsible for teaching my little ones cursive. They are actually excited to learn it which is unusual and as such they take great care in their writing during that block. A nice change of pace from the norm.

Well now since I'm in 3rd grade gen ed. I'm responsible for teaching my little ones cursive. They are actually excited to learn it which is unusual and as such they take great care in their writing during that block. A nice change of pace from the norm.

if the texas boards of education can find textbooks that say some slaves liked being enslaved, certainly i can find a curriculum guide that teaches children my views on cursive. please let's stop this torture.

if the texas boards of education can find textbooks that say some slaves liked being enslaved, certainly i can find a curriculum guide that teaches children my views on cursive. please let's stop this torture.
If you want to pay my salary for the next 30 years I'm happy to stop. Cashiers check or money order only [emoji1]

If you want to pay my salary for the next 30 years I'm happy to stop. Cashiers check or money order only [emoji1]

this logic was repudiated at nuremberg. save yourself.

Hilarious stuff. All caps FTW.

I still bear the scars of receiving my first sub "A" grade in school (for penmanship) the year we were taught to write in cursive.

My signature has since devolved to five legible letters of the fourteen that comprise my first name, middle initial, and last name.

The only sub "A" grades I got in primary school were for hand writing. To this day, I still have awful hand writing, and mostly scribble down notes thru the day. I may be a physician's assistant, but I write like a physician! You know it's bad, when you are at the grocery store, and you can't figure out some items, that YOU wrote down on the list. LOL!

And my signature has degraded to just the first letters of my first & last name.

You know it's bad, when you are at the grocery store, and you can't figure out some items, that YOU wrote down on the list. LOL!

And my signature has degraded to just the first letters of my first & last name.

i have been in that spot trying to read my writing. i absolutely have to do memos of my own notes within a couple of days or else my memory is gone and i have no hope deciphering that shit.

i'm also absolutely ridiculed in my office for my signature, but i finally, just last week, found someone worse. a motion came in and i saved the last page for the next time someone has some shit to say about my signature. i mean look at this:

jEVYsgi.jpg

I force-taught both of my kids how to write in cursive -- the school could give two shakes!

There are lots of good reasons for it. The main one is my son's printing is HORRIFIC, even at 12. He hates writing in cursive, but it is an order of magnitude more legible.

I wish my parents had loved me enough to endow me with excellent penmanship.

I ditched cursive the day I finished 8th grade, both my kids quit using it by the 6th (teachers don't seem to prioritize it like the used to, but are still teaching it).
I hated cursive from day 1. For me printing has always been easier, clearer and just as fast as cursive. YMMV

i have been in that spot trying to read my writing. i absolutely have to do memos of my own notes within a couple of days or else my memory is gone and i have no hope deciphering that shit.

i'm also absolutely ridiculed in my office for my signature, but i finally, just last week, found someone worse. a motion came in and i saved the last page for the next time someone has some shit to say about my signature. i mean look at this:

jEVYsgi.jpg
I pay someone $5 in my office to sign things like birthday cards for other employees. Everyone knows about, so it's an open joke, but signing my name makes me cringe. My signature is horrible.

We recently refinanced our mortgage and the worst part was my wife's flowery signature under my seismograph at the San Andreas fault squiggle.

I wish my parents had loved me enough to endow me with excellent penmanship.

They only loved you enough to endow you with excellent laundering skills and proficiency with a hot iron and starch? I mean, I can say this comfortable in my manhood when I confide that your socks, they're magnificent.

the evidence continues to mount against the plague of curvy connecting letters.

wfZgsOe.jpg

This reminds me of the joke about the dyslexic devil worshipper who summons Santa.

Cursive ranks pretty highly among the useless crap I was forced to learn at school. Certainly the onky part of the curriculum with its own dedicated lesson.

Ah, the memories of being kept behind until I got my effs right while my friends played football... Time I'll never get back.

Still, without cursive my dad wouldn't have received his birthday card:

53c23b7004033_-_cos-01-special-aunt-de.jpg

This reminds me of the joke about the dyslexic devil worshipper who summons Santa.

Cursive ranks pretty highly among the useless crap I was forced to learn at school. Certainly the onky part of the curriculum with its own dedicated lesson.

Ah, the memories of being kept behind until I got my effs right while my friends played football... Time I'll never get back.

View attachment 16652

I had to look at that for 60 seconds before I realized the A wasn't a C.

View attachment 16652
mind finding this card for me? got a couple aunts on my shit list

i'm also absolutely ridiculed in my office for my signature, but i finally, just last week, found someone worse.

I have a pretty bad signature but the sig of the new Greek finance minister is worse (saw this on the Daily Show):

I have a pretty bad signature but the sig of the new Greek finance minister is worse (saw this on the Daily Show):

greece is just trolling us at this point.

"okay, fine, we gave them everything they wanted. now let's buckle down and get serious. we can't go off the rails again. let's use our brains. first, let's find a competent, qualified finance minister."
"hehe just get the guy whose signature looks like a dick."
"lol okay."

Here's another one. A pal spotted one of their stores in Saville

ulanka-marca-culdesac.jpg

Your dreams cum shoe

Guessing they cater for a niche market

MANY historical documents are written in cursive. Even if one isn't good at writing in cursive, they should be able to read well-written cursive.

Funny how this just came up as I was having this debate with a colleague yesterday. I fluctuate to both sides of this one depending on the day. There is little need nowadays to know how to write in cursive since a lot of stuff is electronic. However as previously mentioned there is a lot of fine motor skills used with the task and for students it also provides them with a second option on how to write. There is also a need for students to be able to read cursive since the previous generations still write with it. I know there have been times in some school, where handwriting was not taught, where I would write things son the board and students could not read it. Overall it is probably 60/40 in favor of being taught in the many schools I've been in. Personally, when I'm writing quickly I do a mixture of print and cursive, but when thinking about it I go all cursive. My father, and father in law who are both engineers are strictly upper case print.

I was talking with my son, who is a senior in high school, about this the other day. He was not taught cursive in school, and he was complaining about cursive being hard to read. Not only does he dislike reading it, his printing is pretty illegible which I've always wondered whether the more extensive cursive writing instruction I received in school would have helped. I write in a hybrid manner, but I would characterize it as mostly cursive.

Knowing how to write (and read) cursive doesn't guarantee being able to read cursive that is not legible. I recently received a wonderful postcard from Toby. I think I get the basic gist of the message, but there are at least a half-dozen words of which I have no clue what was written. Trying to read it out loud to my wife upon initial receipt was impossible, I felt like an illiterate even trying.

I have fairly good penmanship (when I try, which is rarely) and like Jeff, use a home-grown mix when actually using pen/pencil and paper (which is also rare). I absolutely hate writing paychecks. Even my signature on those is simply horrid compared to most other legal documents I am forced to sign (provided it's less than a dozen times in a single sitting). Capital letters F, G, Q, and S are written as they should look, not that crazy shit I was taught in school.

And thank god there is no 'script' option in the Font Family pull-down menu above. Bodizzledazzle's posts are hard enough to read already with just the silly colors and sizes.

I like a very elegant cursive font on special messages like greeting cards, invitations, etc. I really want something like that for a very special label or potential custom chip set. It's either Rosie's or Rosie's Bayou. I hope you guys will be able to read the damn thing without getting all tilted.

And thank god there is no 'script' option in the Font Family pull-down menu above. Bodizzledazzle's posts are hard enough to read already with just the silly colors and sizes.

Really? You think this would be hard to read? :ROFL: :ROFLMAO:

script.png

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom