Cup Holders in Rail Questions (1 Viewer)

Moxie Mike

Full House
Reaction score
Hi PCF Builders!

I'm looking to accomplish three things:

1) Install deeper cupholders in my barrington table;
2) Install cupholders in my regular table (6" wide padded rail);
3) Install cupholders in two drink tables that I'm building.

I purchased 20 of these, which seem to be the standard size. I chose this product because of its size - I have about 2 1/2" of depth to work with on both tables.

The problem I've ran into is that the inside diameter of this cupholder is only 2 5/8" instead of 2 3/4" like the product description reads. As such, a pint glass does not fully fit in the cupholder.

I would seem that there are only two standard sizes of cupholder - this size and the 'jumbo' ones that are 4" wide and 3" deep.

The problem with using the jumbos is that they are too deep, and are really too wide for the Barrington table rail.

So what I'd really like to find is a 3" wide cupholder that's about 2 1/4" deep. Does anyone know where I might be able to find something like that?

I don't think 1" of depth is enough:
69974977_10205957900303173_2060476045898809344_n.jpg

Barrington cupholder on the left:
69244706_10205957900023166_6811596068761894912_n.jpg

#epoxypron:
69253736_10205957903623256_5142561654298378240_n.jpg

69554886_10205957903383250_319776593113251840_n.jpg

I have the plastic slide-unders - in fact they worked well for a long time but my rail warped, so I had to screw it to the playing surface. Now the slide unders are inadequate.

I'm not too worried about whisky glasses - those can sit on a coaster or a paper towel.

I found some Guinness pint glasses that fit my cupholders nicely.

Not ideal but one solution could be to use a different set of glasses that do fit in? Seems like your in a bind.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    108.6 KB · Views: 403
I found some Guinness pint* glasses that fit my cupholders nicely.

Not ideal but one solution could be to use a different set of glasses that do fit in? Seems like your in a bind.

It looks like your Guinness glass has a slightly narrower shape.

Changing glassware is a possibility but not really an expense I'd like to incur all things being equal.

I'm not quite sure what I'm going to do yet. The pint glasses I have (more like mixing glasses actually) go about halfway down... which isn't horrible. But they won't hold a coffee thermos or soda bottle either.

I may just install the ones I got and live with the shortcomings... it wouldn't be cost effective to return them since Walmart.com had free 2-day shipping.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Zimtown-...ing-Cart-Over-Bed-Laptop-Desk-Black/131952242

Took me awhile to find it.... its on clearance normally $46.00 selling for 29.99. If you buy one let me know if you want a template to cut the holes for cupholders.

Cheers.

Thanks for the link. The reason I asked for it is because I haven't designed the pedestal base yet and I was thinking of using the frame for the tops I've already built.

I don't think I need a template but thanks for the offer - I was just going to bore through them with a hole saw.

I've never understood a 'too deep' cupholder. What kind of beverage container are you placing in the cupholder
that you cannot retrieve? A shot glass?

I've never understood a 'too deep' cupholder. What kind of beverage container are you placing in the cupholder
Whisky glasses are never taller than 4in - at the most.
A 3in deep cupholder means that the glass protrudes no more than 1in from the holder, which means that you touch with your filthy, gunky, sticky fingers the top of the glass, on which you place your lips in order to drink :D

Two things... if it's too deep it will be visible below the table, which will look weird. Cosmetics aside, cupholders that are too deep will prevent the Barrington table from closing.

The other thing is that it creates the possibility of people hitting it with their knees or the arm rests on the chairs we use, which could make a mess.

Reactions: 72o
Here's an update. The table upgrades are complete.

I installed the cupholders from the original post in the Barrington table by boring through the bottom panel under the original cupholder with a 2 3/4" hole saw. There were 4 spots where the tubular steel legs were in the way; I was able to effectively zip off the excess material with a sawzall.

I learned by accident that online purchases can be returned to Walmart in person. So I returned the other 10 and ordered some 4-inchers on eBay.

When they arrived, I unexpectedly received a mix of two different depth cupholders... Some were aluminum and others were stainless steel.

The company sent me a replacement package that was all off the deeper aluminum products, which are complete junk with a jagged edge that WILL slice you. So I ended up ordering some more stainless steel cupholders to finish the job.

Requisite pron:

IMG_20190907_192726.jpg

IMG_20190907_192704.jpg

The aluminum ones are in the back.
IMG_20190904_151158.jpg

IMG_20190905_210553.jpg

Whisky glasses are never taller than 4in - at the most.
A 3in deep cupholder means that the glass protrudes no more than 1in from the holder, which means that you touch with your filthy, gunky, sticky fingers the top of the glass, on which you place your lips in order to drink :D

Dont you love it when the waitperson brings your drink to you like this, dangling it from their fingertips all along the rim of the glass. Drink up!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom