Tourney Crushing Tables (1 Viewer)

WhiteMamba1646

4 of a Kind
Site Vendor
Reaction score
I've hosted a few tournaments in the past and looking to do another. The one thing that is always tricky is when to crush tables or move players after busting out. I will be hosting a 4 table tournament (36 players) coming up and looking to see if anyone has a structure plan on how to move players/when to move players/and to what table to move them to? Any suggestions?

Just try to balance the tables as best you can. You don't want one table with 6 and one with 8 for example. Randomly pick a player at the larger table to move to a random empty seat at the smaller table.

The software I use, Tournament Director, does this all automatically, but you can do it manually with bit more effort.

I also recommend Turnament Director, especially if you are running multi-table tournaments.

Get your laptop out, run an HDMI cord to a big screen TV or use a splitter for multiple TV's if necessary!

Here's what not to do.
Recently I played in a great home tournament that was very well run, overall. There were 21 of us, so it started as three 7-man tables.
What burned me was when we were down to 9 players, 5 at one table and 4 at mine, I got short. I couldn't understand why we weren't all at one final table. Personally I thought we should have jammed ten on a final table, but it seemed like a no-brainer to combine the tables at nine. I asked and was told than he wanted to keep two tables as long as possible, to keep his two dealers busy. Which didn't make a lot of sense to me, because one of the dealers was the guy's wife, and she wasn't even a particularly good dealer. But I digress.
It's obviously a disadvantage to be a shorter stack at a shorter handed table in a tournament, because the blinds are going to hit you faster. So if the TD can mitigate that, he should, as soon as possible.
After the tournament, I asked the guy about it, and he didn't seem to have a good reason. This time, he said that because there were never more than 7 people per table since the tournament started, it didnn't make sense to make the final table a 9 person table.
Interesting logic, but I disagree. This wasn't a 6-max tournament - there were 7 per table because only 21 guys showed up.

Here's what not to do.
Recently I played in a great home tournament that was very well run, overall. There were 21 of us, so it started as three 7-man tables.
What burned me was when we were down to 9 players, 5 at one table and 4 at mine, I got short. I couldn't understand why we weren't all at one final table. Personally I thought we should have jammed ten on a final table, but it seemed like a no-brainer to combine the tables at nine. I asked and was told than he wanted to keep two tables as long as possible, to keep his two dealers busy. Which didn't make a lot of sense to me, because one of the dealers was the guy's wife, and she wasn't even a particularly good dealer. But I digress.
It's obviously a disadvantage to be a shorter stack at a shorter handed table in a tournament, because the blinds are going to hit you faster. So if the TD can mitigate that, he should, as soon as possible.
After the tournament, I asked the guy about it, and he didn't seem to have a good reason. This time, he said that because there were never more than 7 people per table since the tournament started, it didnn't make sense to make the final table a 9 person table.
Interesting logic, but I disagree. This wasn't a 6-max tournament - there were 7 per table because only 21 guys showed up.

Ugh. That tilts me. I want to get down to the least amount of tables as soon as possible. We normally set our final table at 10, but we do not have a dedicated dealer unless a busted player elects to sit down and deal which I normally do as TD.

Just try to balance the tables as best you can. You don't want one table with 6 and one with 8 for example. Randomly pick a player at the larger table to move to a random empty seat at the smaller table.

The software I use, Tournament Director, does this all automatically, but you can do it manually with bit more effort.
I don't think it's typically done randomly. the way I've seen it done is when the blinds are approaching the open seat, you pull the guy off the other table who will next be big blind.

I don't think it's typically done randomly. the way I've seen it done is when the blinds are approaching the open seat, you pull the guy off the other table who will next be big blind.

Yeah you're probably right, I remember they did it this way at a card room I played at recently. Very possible that TD software does that automatically and I never noticed it.

I've hosted a few tournaments in the past and looking to do another. The one thing that is always tricky is when to crush tables or move players after busting out. I will be hosting a 4 table tournament (36 players) coming up and looking to see if anyone has a structure plan on how to move players/when to move players/and to what table to move them to? Any suggestions?
Number the tables, and have a plan to break them down in a specific order. I use a reverse order: #4 first, then #3, followed by #2 leaving #1 as the final table. It is best if this is written down and/or posted somewhere, so people know there is a plan, and you have something to reference.

Have a plan on when to collapse each table. Generally, for four tables of nine, I'd consolidate when there are 27 remaining players, (creating three tables of 9), 18 remaining players (two tables of nine), and 10 remaining players (final tables generally have one extra player than the field tables). Most rules specify that in multi-table tournaments, all remaining seats are randomly redrawn when collapsing down to 3, then 2, and finally just 1 table. Using seating chips can make this process much smoother, and is highly recommended. All this should also be written down and/or posted, so you have a guideline to follow during the chaos of an actual multi-table event.

Keep all active tables balanced. That means that no table should have more than one more or one fewer players than any other. If there is a difference of two or more, somebody needs to move. To do this, move one player from the over-seated table to the short table. Most rules specify moving the player who is next in line to post the big blind, and that player goes to the open seat at the new table that will be in the big blind the soonest (if there is more than one open seat). If there is more than one over-seated table, or more than one short table, then yank and re-seat per your already-defined table order (#4 down moves first, #1 up gets re-seated first). It is important that none of the chairs be removed from active tables during play, so that seat reassignments can be easily made (ditching chairs and stretching out is not an option just because a table is down to 7 players, for example). Chairs need to stay with the table, as they will be needed again after consolidating, and they identify table seat locations. Once again, having a predefined written plan makes it easier to implement.

Track the player numbers. Of course, doing any of the things above means you have to track the number of players at each table, and you need to track the total number of players remaining. When it is announced "player down on table #3", you should be able to immediately recognize if table #3 is now short by 2 or more, or if you have reached one of your predefined table collapse numbers.

Recruit help/assistance. Any event larger than two tables probably needs more than one person to successfully manage it, especially if all of the tables are not in the same area. Recruiting an assistant TD is a great way to lessen the workload, especially when trying to do several things at once. Designating a "table captain" at each active table to publicly announce when a player is eliminated goes a long way towards making event management easier for the TD. If you have dedicated dealers, use them to handle notifications and resolve disputes (appeals can be resolved by the TD, freeing him up from having to run around all the tables taking care of minor rulings). Table captains can also be granted authority to issue rulings if they are adequately familiar with the tournament rules in use.

Yeah you're probably right, I remember they did it this way at a card room I played at recently. Very possible that TD software does that automatically and I never noticed it.

There's an option to make the software move a random player or you can manually assign a player to a seat at a different table.

Dave beat me to it, on all points.

I suspect I'd really enjoy one of his tourneys, once we got past the 25/75 blind level.

There is sometimes a 500/1500, too...... :sneaky:

There is sometimes a 500/1500, too...... :sneaky:
287B6D18-8C0B-4E89-94A1-9B524419C507.gif

I move players per the TDA. The big blind is moved to the worst position at the new table.

We have recently changed to only eight players per table. We take the last nine to the final table. Everyone likes the eight man table arrangement. It’s much more comfortable.

I move players per the TDA. The big blind is moved to the worst position at the new table.

We have recently changed to only eight players per table. We take the last nine to the final table. Everyone likes the eight man table arrangement. It’s much more comfortable.
Exactly how we do it, too.

We run 8 per table, 10 at the final. Everyone wants to be together anyway, so the sooner we can sit around 1 table I make it so.

I also allow tables to be off by 2 players before balancing. 3 players off and one gets moved from the most populous table to the least. If 2 tables are tied for most populous 3 moves before 2 before 1.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom