Critique of my Set Breakdown and Cheat Sheet (From 5¢/10¢ to bare minimum $1/$2) (1 Viewer)

Hairy_Crocodile

3 of a Kind
Reaction score
I decided to make a cheat sheet for my custom ceramic set I will be ordering in the next month hopefully. I can always expand it more in the future and buy more ceramics to top off numbers from BRPro. Hopefully it is good enough to send out and I didn't make mistakes, but I wanted you all to tear into it first and critique my sheet in case I messed up somewhere.

I'll be ordering 1980 chips so far (900 cash set, 1080 for the 3 table tournament set o_O:cry:)

The reason for this set breakdown is to accommodate the different stakes different groups of my friends like to play at, and leave some room to expand a little into 1/2 someday when I find another group to pay those stakes with, or friends of mine get comfortable with those stakes someday.
  • Some people only want to buy in for $10, which is perfectly fine; I just wanna play poker with friends so I don't mind those low of stakes.
  • Some like $20-$25.
  • Occasionally people want $50 buy-ins
  • Some like $100 max Buy in at 50¢/$1 on rare occasions.
This sheet is to quickly break down "Starting Stacks" for players and be used as a guide to explain how to set up these games to someone who has little to no experience. I will be sending this list to my friends so that they can use the sheet for their own home games with or without me present and know what to do basically without too much stress. I know that when I wanted to start playing poker with my friends, I had no idea how to make a basic breakdown, what blinds should be set at, etc. So I wanted to make a simple sheet for anyone in my shoes at that time to have a quick guide to reference and then ask questions about later.

I added colors (may change the 5¢ color...but I digress) in case the reader doesn't have denominated chips and just wants to use dice chips, or whatever they have on hand. (Blasphemy, I know)

I know that starting stacks are not really a big deal in cash games, but I wanted to keep it simple for the reader, and my players like to have even stacks so they can visually see everyone starts out the same and is less confusing...they already don't like making change as it is.. :ROFL: :ROFLMAO:

• Do you have any suggestions for my breakdowns? Should I change the blinds in my $20 games to 10¢/20¢ so it's 100BB stacks?
  • What about the $25 blinds? Are 25¢/25¢ Blinds ok for those stakes?
  • Thoughts on the 1/2 Breakdown? I don't think I will be playing it for a while, or that my friends would want to have a bunch of re-buys for it anyway for a very long time. For 1/2 down the road, should I be getting something more like 160 x $25's and 40x 100's? And probably another rack or two of $5's?

Please forgive my formatting, I'm still re-learning how to use Google Sheets.

How did I do? How many mistakes have I made so far that I haven't caught yet? Anything you would add?

Last edited:
Fixed the $10 buy ins breakdown, copy and paste mistake
Re worked the 50¢/$1 game stack breakdown
Should I re-work the 25¢/50¢ Breakdown for more 1's starting?

1613608883146.png

Last edited:
I’m by no means super experienced with cash game chip stack formats, but I’ve just gone through the same process for my new home games that will start back up when COVID restrictions lift.... and I also run MTTs more than cash games, so take my opinion with a grain of salt.

For cash games, I think you’re starting stacks are a little top heavy with the high denomination chips. You’re never coloring up like tourneys, so those smallest chips are always in play and needed for bets that are fractions of the bb.

Plus, players like to start with physically more chips, even if the total value is the same as fewer high value chips.

I tend to cap my starting high denominated chips to 1/3 - 1/2 value of the buy in and pad the low and middle chip values a bit.

The 5c/10c game looks pretty good but personally I’d shift stacks slightly to 15-21-4-0, or even 20-20-4-0 if you’ve got the chips

For the $20, 25c/25c:
12-12-1-0

$25, 25c/25c:
12-12-2-0

$50, 25c/50c:
Maybe 20-20-5-0 ?...especially since a player will be using 3 of their 25c chips per orbit to cover the sb and bb. As you’ve got it, they are out of 25c chips if they don’t win a hand after 3 orbits.

$100, 50c/$1:
Maybe 20-20-10-1-0, or 20-40-11-0-0 ?
I think this one is really hard to do with 25c chips because you’re smallest chip is 1/400 the value of your buy in, and pots get bigger, faster at these stakes. You could maybe get away with it if you don’t mind players changing out chips with each other during play, or you could invest more and buy 50c chips. Either way, I’d prob get one of your $25 chips on the table at the max buy in.

Hope this helps.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom