Tourney Crazy or a Fun Twist (1 Viewer)

Daddy N

Two Pair
Reaction score
I run a 2 table 10k tournament with $20 buy ins, rebuys for the first 90 minutes and a $10 add on after that for 7,500 chips. With the blind structure they run for about 5 hours. 20 minute levels starting with 25/50, 50/100, 75/150, 125/250 during the rebuy period.
Here is the crazy or fun twist:
  • $5 buy ins for 2,500 chips
  • Unlimited buy ins during the rebuy period
  • Can reload anytime between hands when you are at or under 2,500 chips
  • Same 7,500 chip add on at the end of the rebuy period
I understand that this will become 90 minutes of shoving and big swings and it will take some of the skill out of the game but my group is very casual. I would not make this the regular format but thought it might be fun for one night. Has anyone run a night like this?

$5 buys 2,500 chips, and starting blinds are 25/50 to 125/250... so you can buy in for as much as 50BB and as little as 10BB?
Wow that does seem pretty shovy. I got a face card - all in situation.... yikes.

Edit - wait this is a 10K tournament? so what is the $5 and the 2500 stacks? Is the twist together with the 10K game or a completely different format?

$5 buys 2,500 chips, and starting blinds are 25/50 to 125/250... so you can buy in for as much as 50BB and as little as 10BB?
Wow that does seem pretty shovy. I got a face card - all in situation.... yikes.
Yes, I think a lot of people will be shoving in the beginning until some stacks get bigger. My hope is most people will rebuy enough to meet the standard $20 buy in and that would get the normal number of chips on the table. The add-on will also help...

Edit - wait this is a 10K tournament? so what is the $5 and the 2500 stacks? Is the twist together with the 10K game or a completely different format?
$20 T10k buy-in, $5 T2500 rebuys (add-ons, technically) if stack is at T2500 or less.

EDIT: Nevermind, it's a $5 T2500 buy-in with optional unlimited T2500 add-ons/re-buys. Sounds like a shove-fest.

Sounds somewhat similar to what @Ben8257 does for our family games.. the end result is more or less 5 or more people in every hand. It can be alot of fun when you dont have to worry about chips *as much*
Plus we play pineapple for one table of 10 or less, makes it interesting

I run a 2 table 10k tournament with $20 buy ins, rebuys for the first 90 minutes and a $10 add on after that for 7,500 chips. With the blind structure they run for about 5 hours. 20 minute levels starting with 25/50, 50/100, 75/150, 125/250 during the rebuy period.
I understand that this will become 90 minutes of shoving and big swings and it will take some of the skill out of the game but my group is very casual. I would not make this the regular format but thought it might be fun for one night. Has anyone run a night like this?

I wouldn't sign up

20 minute levels starting with 25/50, 50/100, 75/150, 125/250 during the rebuy period.
50BB starting stacks with unlimited re-buys are great for charity events where lots of re-buys are desired to raise money, but less appealing to players who want to play meaningful and skilled poker without additional luck infused into the equation.

I've ran many such events. I'd recommend a structure that doesn't double at the first blind increase, however. Much better to go with T5000 stacks and re-buys/add-ons, and start the blinds at 50/100. Same 50BB starting stacks, but it won't be quite as chaotic during the first few levels. And I'd limit it to the first three levels (60 minutes).

Makes for a nice prize pool. We do something similar with rebuys once you're down to 1000 and an add-on at the end of the rebuy period.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom