CPC Inlay Rounders Cologne (1 Viewer)

NeoViny23

Straight
Reaction score
Ok, here we go... After I realized that I NEED a new CPC set ..... yiiiiiieeeeks :wow::love:

My first idea was based on a holliday experience in Canada = Lake O'Hara International Airport - but I got rid of it and went on....

Test 2.jpeg

So after playing around a bit, I thought I might be cool, to include something that reminds me of that beautiful city next to my hometown and the City where I work: Cologne/Germany. It's funny, because everytime I spoke with americans or canadians, everyone seemed to know Cologne.... : "yeah, of course, I've been there... it's that city with the big gothic cathedral!!!" ... yes, that is true... and so my thoughts become clearer and I wanted to include "the cathedral" (or "Dom" as we say in germany). And, well, because it also should have something in common with poker, I thought it would be a nice idea, to call this inlay "Rounders Cologne" :love: And I have to say, I am quiet happy with this theme... not to forget: my wife is quiet happy about it as well ....

So, as a first time user, I made my first steps with Adobe Illustrator, loaded the CPC templates, and started the project. And after two days I have four differen versions of the inlay. Let's say it's some sort of evolving process and I included new ideas and get rid of some issues...

My first custom clay set had rather lighter colors and so I wanted to make it different this time. To get a more "elegant" feeling, I made it black with colors that matches the chip/edgespot colors.

Version 1

My first attempt, I made the cathedral with a 2 dot outline, but after all, I ain't sure, if this will come out great. I Ihave my doubts that this will be good to see... as you can see, in the green one, I used a colored outline on the Rounders Cologne text. On the orange one, I used a black outline. On the Rounders text and on the chip value, I added a little iluminating effect - just a little bit, because I aint want it to be overloaded.

Overview.JPG
DG Peacock.jpeg
DG Green.jpeg
DG Arc Yellow.jpeg

DG Pink .jpeg

Version 2

Here I put the Dom to the left and made the Rounders Cologne as a curved text. Even that the cathedral looks a bit more fancy in Version 1, I do prefer the simple look of the silhouette in Version 2. But I am not a big fan of the Rounders Cologne as a curved text...

Overview.JPG

DG Peacock.jpeg
DG Green.jpeg
DG Pink.jpeg

Version 3

Here I choose a gray-scaled cahtedral in the middle and in a bigger version, just to make it somewhat present in the background, but not too dominant. On the green inlay I made the grey a bit lighter and placed the Rounders Cologne text a bit lower just for the comparisson...

Overview.JPG

DG Green 2.jpeg
DG Peacock.jpeg
DG Arc Yellow.jpeg
DG pink.jpeg

Version 4

Well, I think this is my most prefered version (not saying, that it was my last that I came up with...). For me it has the most classy look, even that the cathedral is not as visiable as in the three other versions. The illuminating effect is also included. I dont know if it would be better to make a thin (2pts.) white outline around the chip value.

Overview.JPG

DG Arc Yellow.jpeg

Let me know, what you thinking about it. The chip colors are just for demonstration purpose and ain't final at all... I would love to know what you recommend as font size for the surrounding text (Est. 2022 / Private Cashgame) as I have such thin fonts on my first ASM set in it could have been better/thicker...

Even that I prefer version 4, I also love the idea of the grey-scaled cathedral as a background. As you see, the colored cathedrals looks a bit faded - I placed to layers together, one white and one in the color of the inlay and I made this top layer's opacity down to 40-50 or so... So even that I used the color chart that is posted at PCF, I aint sure if this fading color will match the final chip as good as I love to see...

choices choices choices... :p

Thank you in advance for sharing your thoughts...

Because I only could include 20 images in this post and due to the fact, that after I reached these 20 the website had some issues, I add the missing images in the next post...

Attachments

• DG Green.jpeg
    DG Green.jpeg
    96.4 KB · Views: 51
  • DG Peacock.jpeg
    DG Peacock.jpeg
    95.9 KB · Views: 46
  • DG Pink.jpeg
    DG Pink.jpeg
    96.2 KB · Views: 47
Last edited:
well, even that the last 3 of Version 4 has been included as attachments, I will add them here as well...

DG Arc Yellow.jpeg

DG Green.jpeg
DG Peacock.jpeg
DG Pink.jpeg

What does it look like with the largest denom (the one that physically takes up the most space)? How it sits on the cathedral might impact the look.

My one suggestion: ditch the private card room. The only folks seeing it would know it’s a private card room, so it’s unnecessarily flashy. If you want to go full Rounders, drop everything but the cathedral. Those in the know would know, the rest- screw them.

My one observation: from the images, I like the green cathedral in V3. It’s got some nice contrast against the back. Not too light, but light enough to make it interesting.

You’ll have a great chip. Love the colors.

I think I prefer "Private Game" over "Private Cashgame" when/where that term is used. Seems more upscale, and more balanced (less clutter) on the inlays.

Also, print out the various labels in real-size and temporarily affix them to some chips. Place those on your poker table with game-time lighting and see how they look at arm's length. Lots of designs get slaughtered and left behind in that IRL process.

I would get rid of "private cashgame" it's unnecessary and just adds to the clutter. Also gives more room for the denoination. I would also see what it looks like with a 20, 25 or 100 denomination - what works for a single digit may not for double or triple.

And remember that you can have different fronts and backs so you can have one side where the Rounders Cologne is dominant and the other where the denomination is larger.

Last edited:
Thx for the first input... I will make a testprint later this day, but honestly I struggled with Adobe Illustrator... I aint able to change the color of the graphic right now and I hope that the printable pdf file that I create has the correct settings... In the AI print-file menu there is no option to make the pdf a pure cymk color-theme so I aint sure if the output will be ok...

And after decreasing the worksheet (at first try the sheet was a few inches to big) the glow effect aint that strong anymore... I had to make the whole design in a new workspace and it seems that AI has overwritten the old files while I start changing something due to auto-safe function... so let's start over from zero with 3 of the 4 versions...

Last edited:
Maybe add an edge or border to the cathedral. I’m a total dummie, but it would help if they popped a bit more. Perhaps adding some windows or doors to the cathedral. It seems rather faded.

I’m also useless as a graphic artist and so I’m probably just blabbering.

It’s already a great label and I couldn’t do even half of that much art. Lmao! Great work!

There are a few designers here who do amazing work and could execute if you’d like to make use of their services.

For me it’s a coin flip… on one side I would love to see, what these artist would put together, on the other side, for me the whole process of designing something completely by myself is just so satisfying… it’s so much work and It took so many time, but honestly in the end I will be much happier if I do It by myself.

Maybe add an edge or border to the cathedral. I’m a total dummie, but it would help if they popped a bit more. Perhaps adding some windows or doors to the cathedral. It seems rather faded.

I’m also useless as a graphic artist and so I’m probably just blabbering.

It’s already a great label and I couldn’t do even half of that much art. Lmao! Great work!

thx… well, most of the graphics from this cathedral looks like this, simple and clean. The silhouette is very well known here in Germany and it’s one, if not the symbol for Cologne.

In the AI print-file menu there is no option to make the pdf a pure cymk color-theme so I aint sure if the output will be ok...
Don't send a pdf as the art, send the .ai file.
Just make sure your art is set up as CMYK in File>Document Color Mode>CMYK Color, and you're good to go.

Also, when putting a stroke around text, always make the stroke on the outside of the letterform, so it will read better. If it is set to the center or inside (default), it creeps into the letter and makes it too thin.

Last edited:
Honestly I didn't even notice that you were using the English work for Cologne rather than Köln. Personally I would have it all in German - if there isn't an equivalent word for Rounder then use something like Kartenschleifer.

Ok, here we go... After I realized that I NEED a new CPC set ..... yiiiiiieeeeks :wow::love:

My first idea was based on a holliday experience in Canada = Lake O'Hara International Airport - but I got rid of it and went on....

View attachment 1013282

So after playing around a bit, I thought I might be cool, to include something that reminds me of that beautiful city next to my hometown and the City where I work: Cologne/Germany. It's funny, because everytime I spoke with americans or canadians, everyone seemed to know Cologne.... : "yeah, of course, I've been there... it's that city with the big gothic cathedral!!!" ... yes, that is true... and so my thoughts become clearer and I wanted to include "the cathedral" (or "Dom" as we say in germany). And, well, because it also should have something in common with poker, I thought it would be a nice idea, to call this inlay "Rounders Cologne" :love: And I have to say, I am quiet happy with this theme... not to forget: my wife is quiet happy about it as well ....

So, as a first time user, I made my first steps with Adobe Illustrator, loaded the CPC templates, and started the project. And after two days I have four differen versions of the inlay. Let's say it's some sort of evolving process and I included new ideas and get rid of some issues...

My first custom clay set had rather lighter colors and so I wanted to make it different this time. To get a more "elegant" feeling, I made it black with colors that matches the chip/edgespot colors.

Version 1

My first attempt, I made the cathedral with a 2 dot outline, but after all, I ain't sure, if this will come out great. I Ihave my doubts that this will be good to see... as you can see, in the green one, I used a colored outline on the Rounders Cologne text. On the orange one, I used a black outline. On the Rounders text and on the chip value, I added a little iluminating effect - just a little bit, because I aint want it to be overloaded.

View attachment 1013286View attachment 1013302 View attachment 1013288View attachment 1013287
View attachment 1013303

Version 2

Here I put the Dom to the left and made the Rounders Cologne as a curved text. Even that the cathedral looks a bit more fancy in Version 1, I do prefer the simple look of the silhouette in Version 2. But I am not a big fan of the Rounders Cologne as a curved text...

View attachment 1013289

View attachment 1013290View attachment 1013304View attachment 1013291

Version 3

Here I choose a gray-scaled cahtedral in the middle and in a bigger version, just to make it somewhat present in the background, but not too dominant. On the green inlay I made the grey a bit lighter and placed the Rounders Cologne text a bit lower just for the comparisson...

View attachment 1013292

View attachment 1013294View attachment 1013295View attachment 1013293View attachment 1013296

Version 4

Well, I think this is my most prefered version (not saying, that it was my last that I came up with...). For me it has the most classy look, even that the cathedral is not as visiable as in the three other versions. The illuminating effect is also included. I dont know if it would be better to make a thin (2pts.) white outline around the chip value.

View attachment 1013297

View attachment 1013298

Let me know, what you thinking about it. The chip colors are just for demonstration purpose and ain't final at all... I would love to know what you recommend as font size for the surrounding text (Est. 2022 / Private Cashgame) as I have such thin fonts on my first ASM set in it could have been better/thicker...

Even that I prefer version 4, I also love the idea of the grey-scaled cathedral as a background. As you see, the colored cathedrals looks a bit faded - I placed to layers together, one white and one in the color of the inlay and I made this top layer's opacity down to 40-50 or so... So even that I used the color chart that is posted at PCF, I aint sure if this fading color will match the final chip as good as I love to see...

choices choices choices... :p

Thank you in advance for sharing your thoughts...

Because I only could include 20 images in this post and due to the fact, that after I reached these 20 the website had some issues, I add the missing images in the next post...

I love the simplicity of your colors and spot patterns with one exception and this is just something personal to me. I hate the singular 112 spot pattern. It always looks unbalanced to me. All of the other X12 spot patterns are balanced. I would throw in quarter pie for one (so 212, 312, 412, Quarter Pie). That’s just me though. Lots of folks here really like that singular spot but it kind of makes me crazy.

Yeah, indeed. I know what you mean… these chips in the overviews are just placeholders for the final set…. I love the trimoon chip, maybe I will use these in the end….

Honestly I didn't even notice that you were using the English work for Cologne rather than Köln. Personally I would have it all in German - if there isn't an equivalent word for Rounder then use something like Kartenschleifer.

By "English" you really mean "French", right?

So, after I did a test print and the arm-length pracitce of two versions, I decided to make the fonts bigger to make them more visible... even that it has no fancy stuff and is pretty simple, I like the simplicity of that new design... the silhoutte of the cathedral wont come out strong on an 7/8inch inlay, but the important things are good to read ....

Rounders Neu.JPG

haha... and messing around in Illustrator, I made something different - I prefer to put it here first before posting it in a new thread, not knowing if I will change my mind on the Rounders Cologne theme.... but well, I like this Golden Gate Theme as well...

Golden Gate Club.JPG

These latest are a lot better imo. I was gonna comment that I think that having the denom at the side of the inlay might look weird. This obv addresses that problem.

I'd use "$" as the currency, although it's a German topic because "Rounders and Cologne" are english.

I really like the original Rounders movie, chip design etc., but if you don't use the chip colors or the bear, I may not use the word Rounders, except your poker group calls themselves "Rounders Cologne". Good luck with the project und Grüße nach Kölle!

So, here is a little update ....

even that I like the full-colored backround with a little fading effect of the first row very much, my tendencies heading towards the second row with the darker overall-theme... I love the fact, that the cathedral is just a silhoutte and not to dominant on that inlays. I think the second row would also look a bit more elegant on poker chips instead of the first row...

sorry, that the first row come up with 25€ on all the chips...

PCF 1.JPG

PCF 2.JPG

So, here is a little update ....

even that I like the full-colored backround with a little fading effect of the first row very much, my tendencies heading towards the second row with the darker overall-theme... I love the fact, that the cathedral is just a silhoutte and not to dominant on that inlays. I think the second row would also look a bit more elegant on poker chips instead of the first row...

sorry, that the first row come up with 25€ on all the chips...

View attachment 1016360

View attachment 1016361

Maybe it’s just because it’s Halloween, but those look spooky. Like your making them for the Halloween carnival.

Move the cathedral to the right a little more, and put the denomination in the “white space” in the upper right. Get rid of the Halloween text.

Halloween, spooky… are you serious? :LOL: :laugh:
what do you mean with „white space“ in the upper right? And why is that a Halloween text?

I think, creating a black inlay is not as easy as it seams to be, espacialy when the main element needs some space. If i move it more to the center, its harder to recognize when the denom is placed directly above it.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom