CPC General discussion thread (18 Viewers)

David, I saw a pic of a Greek Key mold cup in Redbelly's 'crown jewels' thread. Does CPC have any size Greek Key mold which may become available in the future, please?

He has the only Greek Key cup in existence I'm afraid. We never owned either of the Greek Key's anyway.

David,

I saw you address in another thread the option of bright white edgespots at a lower price point if the customer is willing to accept some impurities. Is there also the option of using a bright white base at a lower price point with the understanding that some stray color will make its way into the chips? Also, do you have any photos of some corrupted bright white spots or base chips to give an idea of what level of impurity we're talking about?

As has been said, thank you so much for taking the time. I'm positive that this thread will be referenced for years to come and will provide quick answers for those of us trying to discuss these things in other threads as well.

David,

I saw you address in another thread the option of bright white edgespots at a lower price point if the customer is willing to accept some impurities. Is there also the option of using a bright white base at a lower price point with the understanding that some stray color will make its way into the chips? Also, do you have any photos of some corrupted bright white spots or base chips to give an idea of what level of impurity we're talking about?

As has been said, thank you so much for taking the time. I'm positive that this thread will be referenced for years to come and will provide quick answers for those of us trying to discuss these things in other threads as well.

The level of impurity is random. Somewhere in a thread I provided a detailed explanation that answers your questions but not sure how to find it lol

Unless the factory is basically scrubbed clean, with no other work undertaken at the same time, all bright white bodies will have substantial impurities. As it is random, it may only affect 10% of the chip, or it may affect 90%. You can get passable edge spots out of them by avoiding the worst parts. However, as we haven't made any finished chips yet, I can't show you anything :D

I don't think anyone would be happy taking bright white body with impurities so that's why I didn't give it as an option.

"Impurities"

When the bright white becomes impure, do the other colors melt into it, turning it muddy and blotchy, or does it leave flakes or ribbons of color. My head suddenly was thinking of using of clay scraps to produce unique chips. They could only be not-for play chips because no two would be the same colors, but for something like a commemorative...
Playdoh+cookie+dough.jpg

"Impurities"

When the bright white becomes impure, do the other colors melt into it, turning it muddy and blotchy, or does it leave flakes or ribbons of color. My head suddenly was thinking of using of clay scraps to produce unique chips. They could only be not-for play chips because no two would be the same colors, but for something like a commemorative...
Playdoh+cookie+dough.jpg

Its the flakes and ribbons type scenario.
However, I have something to show you if I can find it and scan it ;)

He has the only Greek Key cup in existence I'm afraid. We never owned either of the Greek Key's anyway.

David, thanks for the quick reply - at least my bank account thanks you! I know the Medium Greek Key is owned by someone on Big Blue (joshuadalton) who organised several group buys via BCC as his mold did not fit ASM presses, so do you know who owns the small GK mold and could it be leased out like the E&C, or is this something you don't want to pursue at present?

Just to clarify, I don't have a Greek Key cup. In looking at the pictures I think your referencing the actual Greek Key Hob.

Yes, that is what I saw (still getting used to the terminology of cups and hobs etc). In fact I was so surprised to see something that looked like a greek key mold in the pic!

David, thanks for the quick reply - at least my bank account thanks you! I know the Medium Greek Key is owned by someone on Big Blue (joshuadalton) who organised several group buys via BCC as his mold did not fit ASM presses, so do you know who owns the small GK mold and could it be leased out like the E&C, or is this something you don't want to pursue at present?

Yes, that is what I saw (still getting used to the terminology of cups and hobs etc). In fact I was so surprised to see something that looked like a greek key mold in the pic!

Answering Sean first, yes, that is one of the worn out large key hobs from many years ago.

The medium key is a more modern creation which I believe was adapted from being an injection mold to work at BCC.

The old Burt Co small key and large key molds were retired years ago, worn out. I don't know where the small key one went, the large one I donated to a museum. There were no cups or usable hobs of either.

- - - - - - - - - Updated - - - - - - - - -

Its the flakes and ribbons type scenario.
However, I have something to show you if I can find it and scan it ;)

First, here is your cookie dough. :p

samp1.jpg

Next is a mere Level 20 chip :cool:

samp2.jpg

The last two edgespots were these (i don't know if the nomenclature was right) under 16 or 18 size, just asking.

E67veFE.png

The left one is not possible for us.
The right one involves putting 2 x 1/8 spots in each 1/4 hole. Possible as similar things have been done. Would need to work out a custom price on that to see where it fits in the patterns. My guess at first glance is L7.

Hi David, can you confirm the chip on the left would be L7? really comtemplating it.

Thanks
Paul

Hi David, can you confirm the chip on the left would be L7? really comtemplating it.

Thanks
Paul

Read the post again. "The left one is not possible for us"
Only Paulson can make those spots.

It is the right one that is L7

Sorry you are correct the right one was the one I was talking about. Things are sometimes backwards down here

I don't think anyone would be happy taking bright white body with impurities so that's why I didn't give it as an option.

Here's an e.g. of bright white with "impurities." You have to select the large image to see the impurities. Frankly, I think it adds to the character of the chips: LINK

These are ASM Portland chips circa Spring 2012.

My Lady Luck Club quarter pies are bright white, retro blue, and retro red. Just about every chip has trace amounts of red and/or blue on the white, but that doesn't bother me at all. I was prepared for this, and they turned out better than I had expected. I'm delighted with this chip. :) ASM-Portland, June 2012.

Attachments

• IMG_1782 800.jpg
    IMG_1782 800.jpg
    85.6 KB · Views: 494
Here's an e.g. of bright white with "impurities." You have to select the large image to see the impurities. Frankly, I think it adds to the character of the chips: LINK

These are ASM Portland chips circa Spring 2012.

Sat, your link takes me to a Card Player post. Did you mean to link to your 828 chips?

My Lady Luck Club quarter pies are bright white, retro blue, and retro red. Just about every chip has trace amounts of red and/or blue on the white, but that doesn't bother me at all. I was prepared for this, and they turned out better than I had expected. I'm delighted with this chip. :) ASM-Portland, June 2012.
For those quarter pies, it looks like you'd get a fair amount of red and blue rubbing off on the white areas just from stacking them. Not worth worrying about if you keep the contamination to the spot colors used on that chip.

thanks, BG. weird - on my ipad the link goes to a card player thread, but on my laptop the link goes to the 828 chip.

@atomik, ASM/CPC chips really don't wear onto one another. i've seen this plenty in paulsons, but not once on an ASM/CPC.

Agreed. I haven't experienced any color transfer at all on my ASMs, unlike Paulsons.

Huh, I'm among the unwashed casuals still that has never touched an ASM chip in the flesh (probably good for the bank account). I made the comment based on the reputation for being a softer material than Paulson, and the red appearing right on the sharp white edges of some of those chips in the pictures. Took that to be surface transfer rather than color into the bulk of the clay. Interesting.

Huh, I'm among the unwashed casuals still that has never touched an ASM chip in the flesh (probably good for the bank account). I made the comment based on the reputation for being a softer material than Paulson, and the red appearing right on the sharp white edges of some of those chips in the pictures. Took that to be surface transfer rather than color into the bulk of the clay. Interesting.

wouldnt CPC be harder material than Paulson? And is CPC 'cold pressed' but Paulson is heat produced? or is the other way around?

wouldnt CPC be harder material than Paulson? And is CPC 'cold pressed' but Paulson is heat produced? or is the other way around?

CPC is harder.
Best way to describe is that CPC is hot pressed and Paulson is warm pressed.

The process is called sintering. And yes, the hardness depends a lot of the temperature and pressure (also the material, specially which kind of metal powder is inside). I know that because i have worked several years for a company which made metallic segments by that process.

The process is called sintering. And yes, the hardness depends a lot of the temperature and pressure (also the material, specially which kind of metal powder is inside). I know that because i have worked several years for a company which made metallic segments by that process.

without even working in the industry i could have told you that hardness is a often a result of temperature and pressure, though i hope to go several more decades before there is powder inside.

Your avatar really set the tone of this comment in my head.

"Sintering, my good man. Sintering! Harummpf!" ;)

without even working in the industry i could have told you that hardness is a often a result of temperature and pressure, though i hope to go several more decades before there is powder inside.

Your avatar really set the tone of this comment in my head.

"Sintering, my good man. Sintering! Harummpf!" ;)

vFuq46y.gif

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom