CPC - Cali set - On a budget (1 Viewer)

https://www.pokerchipforum.com/chipdb/paradise-los-angeles.56/
https://www.pokerchipforum.com/media/albums/paradise-los-angeles-cpc.1548/

If you're looking for more cali inspiration...
Weighted average cost per chip $2.68

Note: It's faux shaped inlays, not real shaped ones, this shaves big $$$ off the bill.
Note 2: The 5c chip is suboptimal. Redesign with 4D18 spot is currently in production to fix it. This raises the average chip cost a little of course.
Note 3: The best way to save on chip costs is to order less chips, not downgrading spots or features.
That's a cool idea of using faux shaped inlays to save a bunch of money.

What are lazy weekend mornings for except sipping some coffee and noodling on the CPC design website.

Going back to first principles a bit and trying to incorporate simpler colors and spots.

a2f842a7-2c9c-456d-ae39-c6631671ef00.png

Edge spot progression is simplified a fair bit. Two options for the $100, but which are fairly traditional. The variants are L6 and L10, but there are so few of them that the price difference isn't too egregious to the total cost.

The L10 version of the $100 obviously the most expensive chip, especially as a bright white at $5.17 a chip, the cheapest is the green $0.05 at $2.05 a chip. The most common chips, the $1 and the $5 are $2.53 and $2.94 respectively.

Weighed based on purchase quantity we'd be looking at $2.67 a chip.

If we wanted to add in shaped inlays on the $5, $20, and $100(keeping the $1s as round), we'd be looking at raising the cost to $2.87 a chip so really not bad at all.

Acutely answering these questions will greatly effect my recommendation:

What game(s) do you play?
Do you play limit or pot limit/no limit?

How many players?
What is each player normal starting buy in? Are you expecting this to grow? If so how many people?
What are your normal blinds or bets? Are you expecting an increase in the blinds or bets?

What is the normal buy in for each player? What is the largest total bank you have had in play?
Are you expecting this (money on the table) to grow? How much money to you expect to be in play in future?

Do you like many, many chips on the table? or do you like fewer chips on the table?
Is 800 chips your max number of chips? Is more possible? (In addition to you usable set buy 5-10 spares of each denomination)

The more accurate the reply the better

eg. 8-12 players that normally start with $20-$40 and the most money in play was $600, we play No limit holdem with 5c10c blinds, I have no room for more players, 25c25c blinds are a possibility, 800 chips is my maximum
The goal of this is more of a thought exercise about building a set on a budget so I'm following a pretty standard 100/100/200/200/80/20 breakdown for weighting.

The goal of this is more of a thought exercise about building a set on a budget so I'm following a pretty standard 100/100/200/200/80/20 breakdown for weighting.
I would argue that this is not a standard breakdown. If your game is big enough to need $25s or $100s, then you need more than 200 $5s. I would never consider buying a set that didn't have at least 400 $5s in it.

Again, your totals are wrong. This is 700 chips and as stated above a very non standard breakdown which is why information about stakes is needed

What are lazy weekend mornings for except sipping some coffee and noodling on the CPC design website.

Going back to first principles a bit and trying to incorporate simpler colors and spots.

View attachment 610929

Edge spot progression is simplified a fair bit. Two options for the $100, but which are fairly traditional. The variants are L6 and L10, but there are so few of them that the price difference isn't too egregious to the total cost.

The L10 version of the $100 obviously the most expensive chip, especially as a bright white at $5.17 a chip, the cheapest is the green $0.05 at $2.05 a chip. The most common chips, the $1 and the $5 are $2.53 and $2.94 respectively.

Weighed based on purchase quantity we'd be looking at $2.67 a chip.

If we wanted to add in shaped inlays on the $5, $20, and $100(keeping the $1s as round), we'd be looking at raising the cost to $2.87 a chip so really not bad at all.

you have a lot of 1/4” spots. I’d want to try to break that up some.

alternative $5 for some variety in spots sizes

9E91BEBA-C767-4583-BC45-924F7FD0A136.png

I’d go with the second $100 for the same reason.

Reactions: Nex
Again, your totals are wrong. This is 700 chips and as stated above a very non standard breakdown which is why information about stakes is needed
Interesting. In looking at recommendations for breakdowns 100/200/200/80/20 is very commonly recommended for a .25/1/5/20/100 based cash set.

Interesting. In looking at recommendations for breakdowns 100/200/200/80/20 is very commonly recommended for a .25/1/5/20/100 based cash set.

Yes, common but I wouldn’t personally say standard. Depends on how your game plays and why we need more info.

Are you planning on playing mostly .05/.10? .25/.50? Do you want to build a set to play multiple stakes?

At this point, unless the the breakdown massively changes in favor of 100s I'm not clear of how it would impact the cost per chip or average chip cost when all of the others are under the target $3 per chip. That being said, being able to play .05/.10 would be nice, hence the .05 chip, however the assumption would be playing .25/.25 or .25/.50. 6-8 players max, $50 buyin, $100 rebuy max.

To maximize playability of .10 BB games, I'd recommend getting a .10 chip and playing .10/.10. 100 fracs is certainly doable for a single table game, but it's much better for chip distribution when you have an x/x blind structure where x is your lowest denom chip.

Otherwise agree with most of what everyone has said re: simplifying the spot patterns (as it seems you have on your most recent couple of mock-ups). Also second the suggestion of mixing in a 1/8" or 1/6" spot pattern on your $5.

And I'm glad you got away from the initial $100. Keep that chip 3-color. It's not much about price (though that will help) - it's more about coherence of the overall design. You'll see plenty of people on this forum praising the type of $100 you originally posted, but usually that's when it exists in the context of an entire set that looks like it was designed by a drunk circus clown. When the set is overall rather restrained (as most of your mocks have been), a 48-color high denom chip looks way out of place.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom