Covid19 in the house. Drat. (2 Viewers)

DrStrange

4 of a Kind
Reaction score
My wife is covid19 positive. Her symptoms are trivial at the moment, "mild cold" at the worst.. I forecast this might not hold based on prior infections. We shall see.

So far I am not infected. I hide in my office and guest quarters. Maybe a wall of poker chips could help? Probably not. She gets the master bath and bedroom plus the dogs. I get the chip horde. Seems fair enough.

I'll need to get tested later on too. For now, I am going to assume I am infected.

How did Covid testing go?
It wasn't "fast" but one day turn around was the short end of a 1 to 3 days wait.
They made us one of those deals you can't refuse on price. Pay $165 now. Or, we can try the insurance but if they balk at paying we will bill you for $1,500 plus facility fees. We paid the $165 price.
The nose swab was not the kind that reaches into your brain. More like a "q-tip".
The test is quite accurate. Less than 5% false positive / negative.

At our age and health, this could be rather bad. But so far it is barely annoying. [ knock on wood ]

DrStrange

PS on the plus side, there is a prime rib dinner waiting for Christmas day. We were delivering for ten people. Now we have to eat it ourselves.

PPS It is way too early to be trying to get into the poker chip portions of the will. Yes there are ~40,000 chips, but I am not even sick yet. There are some sweet things though . . .

Last edited:
First -- and this is important -- don't try to eat ten person's worth of prime rib. There's no way for that to end well.

Second -- don't try and split ten person's worth of prime rib with your wife...she's gonna lose her sense of taste and well, that's just a waste.

I hope she has a quick recovery and you can dodge all her outs and stay COVID-free.

Good luck, my man.

Yikes. Hope you and your wife are quick to recover. Appreciate your humor and good spirits! Good luck the next couple weeks!

How do you eat ten portions of prime rib? First you only cook half and freeze the rest. Then you have a normal Christmas dinner, leaving three portions of meat. That turns into six sandwiches, and the bones make the most wonderful soup.

True, you can't eat that in a weekend. Well, my 20 year old self might have, but not any more. But over a week or ten days it is quite doable.

Then you wait a month for my birthday and do it all over again.

As for my wife - - her taste is unaffected as is her smelling. She will eat her share of the dinner and the soup, but maybe only two sandwiches.

Hopefully it was an early diagnosis. My uncle got it from his boss, but didn’t know for several days before starting treatment. My Aunt (his wife) started treatment at the same time as him as a precaution, she ended up with it as well but her symptoms were much more mild and she recovered much quicker than he did.

Best wishes to you and your wife. I hope her experience is very mild and that it passes by you. I appreciate you as part of the community and look forward to your comments on the Politics section. I will continue to do so for years to come.

It is interesting to hear different experiences with testing. I get myself tested once per week because my work puts my in contact with a lot of people who do not observe precautions. The testing is free public testing from the state/county and a combined rapid + PCR test in one swab. Rapid results in an hour and the PCR results the next day. The testing itself is done in-car and takes maybe a half hour at most to get through the line.

Beat wishes again fellow chipper.

Glad to see so far you are in good Spirits Scott!! It starts very mild... at least when I had it.... then the muscle aches from hell, splitting migraine for days that doesn't go away... but towards the end (about 10 days later for me) it ramps up quite quick!! If there is anything Brie or I can do for you guys just ask sir!

Since you are in good spirits dibs on one rack of DG GC quarters... lol just kidding! I seriously wish you both the best of luck!! Feel free to make up fictitious poker hands and analyze them if you get bored. I am always down for a good read!

Your chippin buddy Ben

Hang in there Doc, hopefully it will be a mild does of the Rona for the wife & you if your chip barrier doesn't hold it off. Sending y'all good thoughts sir. :)

Scott - best wishes for you and your wife. I hope her symptoms remain mild and you remain healthy. Please take care through this time in your life, just a bump in the road. Keep looking forward to that summer vacation approaching!

Did I read that right that they tried to charge to a bunch of money for a test?? The government should be paying for all tests, at most you should only have to pay a copay for an office visit. At least that’s what my local urgent care told me when I got tested.

I recently had a mild case, make sure you load up on vitamins especially C and D. Also important to take zinc supplements. Have heard that iodine supplements are important also. And of course drink a ton of water.

Very sorry to here this, and hope all goes ok.

Watch it closely though as things can change in an instant.

Watch CO2 very closely...

Best wishes for minimal symptoms and quick recoveries, Scott.

Assuming everything goes optimally, it might be interesting to get antibody tests periodically afterward and keep track of your experiences.

(I'm doing that myself, since my doc recommended it after I had several tests back in July before and after my knee replacement.)

Last edited:
Dang. Hoping for your wife to have a speedy and non-eventful recovery and that your test comes back negative, Doc. Hang in there.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom