COVID Vaccine poll and why it's in Home Game (1 Viewer)

Are you confirming COVID vaccinations?

• No

Votes: 60 43.5%
  • Yes

Votes: 46 33.3%
  • Hell no

Votes: 33 23.9%
  • And I’m getting vaccinated

Votes: 85 61.6%

• Total voters
This describes my game fairly closely, although we play in a well ventilated basement and probably have 2-3 that will refuse to get vaccinated. We’ve been playing with masks. And my requirements will likely be the same as yours in the future. Either be vaccinated, have natural immunity based on having covid, or wear a mask. The people who are against the vaccine, of course, are also against the masks. Not sure how this will go over.
I should say that we normally play outside pre-covid unless it is raining.

And yeah, the people who don't want to get vaccinated are not into masks at my game but at least they are willing to suck it up and will not complain if I mandate it.

So tonight was my weekly local tourney. We currently play online and chat over Zoom.

I talked to the group about my ideas for an upcoming live cash game, and a couple of players were pretty adamant about the idea of requiring vaccinations - even in players who have recovered from COVID in the last 6-9 months and likely still have some level of immunity.

More than anything else, I want my players to be comfortable - otherwise, they just won't come. So while I haven't made a decision yet, I'm considering changing my requirements to "must be immunized and show proof or must wear a mask."

So tonight was my weekly local tourney. We currently play online and chat over Zoom.

I talked to the group about my ideas for an upcoming live cash game, and a couple of players were pretty adamant about the idea of requiring vaccinations - even in players who have recovered from COVID in the last 6-9 months and likely still have some level of immunity.

More than anything else, I want my players to be comfortable - otherwise, they just won't come. So while I haven't made a decision yet, I'm considering changing my requirements to "must be immunized and show proof or must wear a mask."
Slippery slope for sure.

I took a look at my regular players, who come 'ride or die', and went with that consensus. For us it was immunizations.

Good luck! This is an area where I feel for any of the hosts out there.

I guess we don't have many MD's on the boards, or others that are familiar with Hippocratic oath (or liberty in general).

The history of required medical procedures is a book that has only dark chapters.

Familiarize yourself with history...or you will find yourself within those pages... once again....

I guess we don't have many MD's on the boards, or others that are familiar with Hippocratic oath (or liberty in general).

The history of required medical procedures is a book that has only dark chapters.

Familiarize yourself with history...or you will find yourself within those pages... once again....
Or, the rule I live by ... my house, my rules.

I will keep this in mind next time I catch polio or smallpox.

Neither the polio vaccine nor the smallpox one were required medical procedures.

Whether someone does or doesn't catch a disease is not the point.

Did this for 20 years on Army active duty, including five vaccination shots at one time for different things before a deployment.

I believe from looking at my Army shot records I’m supposedly immune from Anthrax, Plague I, II and III, typhoid, hepatitis A and B, etc. Also, can’t forget the giant malaria pills we had to take on one deployment.

No issue with COVID vaccine, but that’s my personal choice because as the meme says:

367AF5EB-36EB-4737-BFEE-E1151C039D83.png

As to the poll for home games, an overwhelming number of my regs are either 100 percent vaccinated or pending their second shot. There’s a small handful who don’t want to go through the vaccination process, but that’s their choice. The majority of regs would rather sit at a fully vaccinated table.

We aren’t talking about government control. We are talking about the possibility of only permitting vaccinated people into our games. No one has to get vaccinated if they don’t want to and no one is suggesting otherwise.

FWIW All US public schools have mandatory vaccination requirements and have done so for many decades. I am sure you weren’t a public school kid otherwise you would remember that, but I was, and I am #blessed I haven’t become a robot or a zombie... yet... wuhahaha

Last edited:
Getting my 2nd shot in 2 weeks. Been wearing a mask even though a lot of others around here are not. (Looking forward to post-mask days, hopefully soon.) I would prefer that others around me did the same, but I understand some of the objections. Many masks aren't very good quality (so I use the dual layer ones with added filters). The vaccine was rushed through without the usual testing, but for me and my situation, it comes down to odds and probability - the benefits outweigh the potential risks (YMMV). You try to get your money in with the best hand.

Last edited:
Did this for 20 years on Army active duty, including five vaccination shots at one time for different things before a deployment.

I believe from looking at my Army shot records I’m supposedly immune from Anthrax, Plague I, II and III, typhoid, hepatitis A and B, etc. Also, can’t forget the giant malaria pills we had to take on one deployment.

No issue with COVID vaccine, but that’s my personal choice because as the meme says:

View attachment 672261
As to the poll for home games, an overwhelming number of my regs are either 100 percent vaccinated or pending their second shot. There’s a small handful who don’t want to go through the vaccination process, but that’s their choice. The majority of regs would rather sit at a fully vaccinated table.
So much this. I also received the Anthrax vaccination and took the Malaria treatment before a South American deployment. I don't recall which it was, but one of them made me sicker than I have ever been.

Let's not conflate "the law requires you to do this" with "if you want to come into my house, you need to do this."

If I do this (and honestly, I haven't decided yet), I'm not forcing anyone to do anything against their will.

In my mind, it's much along the lines of my "no smoking in the house" rule. You can do what you want at home and elsewhere, but if you choose to come to my house and play in my game, you can't light up while you're here.

Never would I ask an invasive health question as a criteria of entering my home. Perhaps "Right Think" should be a criteria as well. These are muddy waters we should not be treading upon as Pandora is a cruel temptress.
You have papers, yes?

These can both be true

Or, the rule I live by ... my house, my rules.

These can both be true. However guy #1 just shouldn't go to guy #2's house if he's not vaccinated (assuming those are the rules). Simple as that. And that's coming from someone who may not get vaccinated.

I'm no germaphobe, but haven't touched a door handle in over 6 years, so I'm not sure why folks are suddenly aware of germs. Wash your freakin hands!

I'm more likely to use COIVD as an excuse to mandate that players use hand sanitizer, each time they return to the table, then I am to ask for vaccinations. I'm more concerned about catching the common cold from these hackers, then I am COVID.

why not make this the social norm>? you get to participate in society if you get the shot. if not you wear the mask. i wonder what group this would likely target for discrimination? most likely the Christians and hasidic jews. who both historically don't vaccinate, due to religious choices. maybe we can make them wear a bright neon mask, so that we can see them from far away... and avoid them. or maybe a neon flashing star pin ? wait i think this has been done before.

why not make this the social norm>? you get to participate in society if you get the shot. if not you wear the mask. i wonder what group this would likely target for discrimination? most likely the Christians and hasidic jews. who both historically don't vaccinate, due to religious choices. maybe we can make them wear a bright neon mask, so that we can see them from far away... and avoid them. or maybe a neon flashing star pin ? wait i think this has been done before.
Godwin's Law in action, and under 50 posts!

I'll be happy to have a reasonable discussion on the politics of the matter in the Politics forum. But I don't want to get this thread shitcanned, so let's keep the discussion on the original topic - how we plan to reintroduce hosting live games and the types of COVID-related rules we'll be using.

Godwin's Law in action, and under 50 posts!

I'll be happy to have a reasonable discussion on the politics of the matter in the Politics forum. But I don't want to get this thread shitcanned, so let's keep the discussion on the original topic - how we plan to reintroduce hosting live games and the types of COVID-related rules we'll be using.
Agreed and that was my fear when starting this thread, though it's a tough line to walk.

Bottom line. We should all be free to choose, and as hosts we'll have high risk players asking for what they believe are reasonable precautions, but who might find themselves having to make some hard choices of their own - not just in poker, but their every day life.

The world has changed, if not permanently, certainly for the near future. If a restaurant doesn't have permanent outdoor seating, I believe they're at a competitive disadvantage. Going forward, some patrons may never feel comfortable inside and some might have simply realized they like sitting outdoors more often than not - I find myself in the latter, possibly due to not traveling for work as much, etc. in 2020.

player comfort first
I honestly wonder what you mean by this.
I would be uncomfortable playing poker with people who are anti-vaccine, anti-mask, If I wasn’t vaccinated.
I would also be uncomfortable playing poker in a mask.
And as a host, I’d be uncomfortable opening my house to some friends but not others, much less asking to see their papers.
For perspective, I haven’t played live poker or eaten at a restaurant in over a year. I’ve taken this shit very seriously. But I think (I hope) that we’re close to that tipping point, where we no longer have to worry about the actions of others.
If I’m vaccinated and everybody I love is vaccinated, and enough of society is vaccinated that we don’t have to worry about hospitals collapsing, that’s the point where I stop caring about who’s vaccinated and who’s wearing a mask. I think.
Do you think that’s wrong?

If I’m vaccinated and everybody I love is vaccinated, and enough of society is vaccinated that we don’t have to worry about hospitals collapsing, that’s the point where I stop caring about who’s vaccinated and who’s wearing a mask. I think.

No. I'd agree 100%.

I honestly wonder what you mean by this.
I would be uncomfortable playing poker with people who are anti-vaccine, anti-mask, If I wasn’t vaccinated.
I would also be uncomfortable playing poker in a mask.
And as a host, I’d be uncomfortable opening my house to some friends but not others, much less asking to see their papers.
For perspective, I haven’t played live poker or eaten at a restaurant in over a year. I’ve taken this shit very seriously. But I think (I hope) that we’re close to that tipping point, where we no longer have to worry about the actions of others.
I guess I didn't mean anything this in-depth.

I don't think it's wrong for hosts to set whatever rules they like. Part of home ownership is setting rules. I've set my rules for hosting, which I have done on occasion during the last year, and also abstained during periods during the past year. I think I am pretty much on @CraigT78 's path for reopening. (At least as far as planning a full "normal" open around June.) There will be a point where I resume normalcy, and I don't believe it will require me to segregate my friends based on proof of vaccine.

So maybe I more meant I appreciate hosts for "making players as comfortable as possible despite disagreements." But I do recognize there are some no-win conflicts here either as we are all individuals with differing opinions and different tolerances of risk.

By the way, did start looking into appointments personally. Turns out there's a difference between being "eligible for the vaccine" and "being able to get an appointment." But I will stay vigilant.

The hospitals did not collapse in WW1 or WW2 with a massive influx of casualties they adapted and overcame. I am a nurse and the hospitals being overwhelmed and being broken is far from a reality and any part of the actual system I work in. An ICU is a bed in a room, field or tent with a monitor, suction device and depending on the pt IV pump/pole along with Vent/pacer/etc..(all of which is mobile)....militaries move and set up field hospitals with ICU capacity as part of their logistical capabilities ..... please for everyone lets stop worrying about running out of resources for patients at this point, we are no where close to breaking point due to Covid-19...... despite what the news is saying we are not on the verge of the Walking Dead due to being overwhelmed by a virus.

Lets all just play cards, If I am inviting you to my home to play cards I am not going to wear a silly mask while doing so nor do I expect you to do the same. If you want to wear a mask knock yourself out. That's one less person eating chips and drinking my beer so I'm all for that.

Unless you're fortunate enough to have a large local pool of players, such that you can essentially do whatever you like, hosting is always a balancing act. Some players will always want higher stakes, or different games, or different food, or different <fill in the blank>. You have to find that balance that will keep the majority of players coming back. This situation is really no different when you boil it down. I think the last 6-8 months or so (pre-vaccine), it's been pretty straightforward and black & white for hosts - you're either:
  • Hosting like you were before - players can play at your own risk or don't play at all
  • Hosting with masks & limited numbers with safety precautions - providing some protection to all your players since it wasn't possible for each player to protect themselves
  • No hosting at all
This is an area where I feel for any of the hosts out there.

Agreed - I think these next few months are going to be tough for hosts, because we're now getting into a much more "gray" area, and IMHO if we're not careful, the potential for a lot of drama can arise. Almost everyone in the US will have access to the vaccine within the next couple of months, so everyone will soon have the means to protect yourself, regardless of what others do (vaccine or mask) - a very different situation than what we've been dealing with the past year. However, I can almost guarantee that most hosts will continue to have some players at extreme ends of all this. Some won't play unless everyone is vaccinated, or will continue to insist everyone (or those not fully vaccinated) have a mask. Others won't get vaccinated and won't play if they have to wear a mask. And all (both sides) for a myriad of reasons - health conditions, comfort, anxiousness, politics, whatever - lots of very different personal reasons/decisions. What'll be important for hosts is offering a solution that will keep enough players coming back. You're going to lose players - you always do, you can't make everyone happy (nor should you try) - you have to find that balance you can live with as the host that works with most of your players. As with all other aspects of the game - talk with your players, conduct polls, do whatever you have to do to get that pulse to ensure your game is growing - and not dying.

In speaking with most of my players, a good deal of them are already vaccinated or plan to get the vaccine once eligible (supply was very limited here in Jersey up until the last two weeks). A few will never get it, nor will play with a mask, for various reasons (mostly comfort/claustrophobia). I personally would never require players to show a vaccine card - given that any player can now get the vaccine and protect themselves, I honestly don't feel it's my business to even ask. But if you know your group won't play without that provision in place and you're comfortable with it, do whatever you think will keep your game going.

We've been playing live since August (with a brief closure during the holidays), and I felt I could offer some protection to players by requiring masks and limiting attendance, and knew the majority wouldn't play without those measures in place (did a quick poll back in July). But now that the vaccine is available, I will likely be doing away with most of those restrictions, either this month or next. Now that the additional protection provision is there, everyone can be a big boy and decide for themselves what they want to do. I know a few more will start to attend again, and maybe a few will drop out until later this summer.

I got my first shot last week so I'll wear my mask again this month even if most don't; they don't really bother me and the last thing I want is to hold out for months just to get it (again, I think) at the very end of all this nonsense lol.

I'm hosting my first game in over a year memorial day weekend. I'm not asking/requiring anything. We're all responsible adults. Most of us will have had the vaccine by then.

About to start hosting my weekly game. Debated on how to proceed for quite some time, at the end of the day I'm not comfortable opening my home to friends but then putting a bunch of stipulations in place, espically something like vaccinations. I did my own reading, spoke to my physician and made the choice that was right for me. I don't expect everyone to fall in line and won't judge either way. It's really not my buisness how my friends choose to handle Covid. I'd imagine they did their own risk analysis and came to their own conclusions on what's best for them. If they ask I'll share my outlook, however i certainly won't judge them on theirs. Ill have sanitizer on hand, anything further than that I'm going to let people proceed how they see fit. I also get it if some don't want to come because they are worried, and it's really a sad thing, but that's a choice they made and I respect it. Hopefully soon enough we will have moved forward enough that it will be a non issue for everyone.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom