Covering over a hot stamp? (1 Viewer)

cheque_raise

Two Pair
Reaction score
is there a process for removing a hot stamp from a chip in order to put on new inlay? i was hoping not to have to us a drill press. i want there to be no evidence of the hotstamp being underneath the new label.

Tsp or another form of cleaner will remove the gold foil, you may want to use some form of milling to add a bit more recess to the inlay area or the chips will become thicker in the middle and "wobble"

Otherwise, gently using sandpaper and roughly using magic eraser

A small part of myself died with the reading of this question...

Use a drill press.
IMG_20200330_190814.jpg

Or a router. Milling is required if the hot stamps are in good or better condition (lots of ridges and valleys).

You might be able to get away with an unlaminated sticker over top *if* the hot stamp is worn smooth/flat and the remaining recess is deep enough. These are usually on very well used chips only.

I dunno about @cheque_raise 's reasons, but from my perspective - all the milled chips I've seen in pictures would bug the ever-living snot out of me if I owned them (or so I speculate - I haven't actually seen any in person). It seems to me like the milled recess is an obvious artifact, an alteration in the chip's "natural" form as produced by the original compression mold, distinct from the very slight recess produced by the mold within the molded circle. The artificial recess is deep, has a smaller diameter than the original molded interior circle / recess boundary, and is usually off-center (by necessity) both with the mold and with the chip edge.

If I ever want to relabel hotstamps, I suspect I'd want to try sanding down the hotstamp rather than milling it out. That sounds like a crazy amount of work, though, so I probably won't ever do that.

I dunno about @cheque_raise 's reasons, but from my perspective - all the milled chips I've seen in pictures would bug the ever-living snot out of me if I owned them (or so I speculate - I haven't actually seen any in person). It seems to me like the milled recess is an obvious artifact, an alteration in the chip's "natural" form as produced by the original compression mold, distinct from the very slight recess produced by the mold within the molded circle. The artificial recess is deep, has a smaller diameter than the original molded interior circle / recess boundary, and is usually off-center (by necessity) both with the mold and with the chip edge.

If I ever want to relabel hotstamps, I suspect I'd want to try sanding down the hotstamp rather than milling it out. That sounds like a crazy amount of work, though, so I probably won't ever do that.
That is basically exactly what I was asking.. I haven’t seen one that has been thru a drill press that looks like a stock chip. But the exacto knife and nail polish remover looks pretty impressive.

I think you've never handled a well milled chip. If done right, it's nearly unnoticeable... I will say normally people go way too deep....

That is basically exactly what I was asking.. I haven’t seen one that has been thru a drill press that looks like a stock chip. But the exacto knife and nail polish remover looks pretty impressive.

To each there own. You can take off as little or as much as you want with a drill press. You have complete control. A lot of people think they need to remove any trace of the hotstamp on their first go of it but all you really need to do is flatten the recess. If some people over press that is on them. You are never going to reproduce a Paulson inlaid chip, but the closest you will get is by milling. If that isn’t for you then You should buy custom CPC or standard inlaid Paulsons.

And this was my first set milled...

4F81334F-8872-4D5C-B8C8-4A215C0DA24F.jpeg
3719F5A0-EC41-4263-8C0B-43792B8FAA40.jpeg
4F5C3EC3-F52C-4994-8B0B-E8FC81D99941.jpeg

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom