Corona Virus Drink Carts (2 Viewers)

Boother36

Straight
Supporter
Reaction score
So its been about 1 week of quarantine. To keep myself busy, I’ve been working in my wood shop. Here is my latest project….drink carts. These are actually version 4 of the carts for me. I keep finding better/easier ways to make them. The major difference this time was adding the Corian solid surface material for the tops. I think they turned out great. I can’t wait for this damn virus thing to be over so they can see some cash game action!!

cart front.jpgcart side.jpgcart top.jpgcart inside.jpg

So its been about 1 week of quarantine. To keep myself busy, I’ve been working in my wood shop. Here is my latest project….drink carts. These are actually version 4 of the carts for me. I keep finding better/easier ways to make them. The major difference this time was adding the Corian solid surface material for the tops. I think they turned out great. I can’t wait for this damn virus thing to be over so they can see some cash game action!!

View attachment 427047View attachment 427048View attachment 427049View attachment 427050

so much want

View attachment 427047View attachment 427048View attachment 427049View attachment 427050
Nicely done! Tell us about the Corian tops. Did you have those made? Cost?

A buddy of mine salvaged some corian from a demo job. It is easy to work with, i.e. it cuts like wood with carbide tipped blades. All I had to do was glue up the edges to thicken them to 1" (corian comes 1/2" thick), sand it down for a smooth surface and cut the cup holder holes. So it was cheap, and easy to build.

They look great.
Would you mind sending the drawing ?

Very nice. They look very solid...how much do they weigh? Much more than solid wood?
The top is heavier than wood for sure. Once I had it all cut up and ready to mount, I was worried for a second that the table would be too top heavy, but to my surprise, it was not. If it becomes a problem, I was planning to just put something with some weight on the bottom shelf.

Great idea. Been trying to think of something to make during the quarantine. May try to make a couple.

Would you mind sharing the dimensions.
One of the many improvements I have figured out has been standardizing the pieces. So all 4 pieces (top, bottom and both sides) are 12" wide by 19". With the wheels, it puts the table top around 24" high. Seems to work for me......

How did you attach the Corian top to the cart?
I glued a piece for wood to the bottom of the corian, then was able to screw thru the top piece of wood on the cart into the wood on the corian top.

cart bott top.jpg

I'm testing 2 different types of glue to see which works better for gluing the wood to the corian....on 1 cart, I used a 2 part epoxy, on the other one, I used a silicone adhesive (RTV, not silicone calk). I'll report back if one happens to fails......

They look great.
Would you mind sending the drawing ?
Sorry, no drawings....the dimensions (in English) are all in my head!! The finished size of the top, bottom and both sides are all 12"x19". I used 3/4" birch plywood for the body. The spacers on the back are 1"x4" pine, and the top of the carcas (under the corian) is just scrap plywood. I hope that gives you enough info?!?!?!

Awesome work. I'm going to have to watch craigslist for some Corian.
When I was out east this past fall, I found a guy on C-list that was selling corian sink cutouts for $1 each that worked perfect for this purpose. I don't remember where he was, but it was a great option to buy in small quantity, manageable sized pieces and ones to mess around with to work on your skills!!

About 8 years ago my old boss gave me some small pieces and I made a basking area for my daughters turtle tank.
I'll have to search out an installer to see if I can get cheap scraps.

IMG_3278.jpg IMG_3281.jpg

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom