Cash Game Combining Tables in Home Cash Games (1 Viewer)

How would you combine cash tables in a home game?

• Tables are same poker variant: Option #1

Votes: 14 93.3%
  • Tables are same poker variant: Option #2

Votes: 2 13.3%
  • Tables are same poker variant: Option #3

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Tables are same poker variant: Option #4

• Tables aren't same poker variant: Option #1

Votes: 2 13.3%
  • Tables aren't same poker variant: Option #2

Votes: 9 60.0%
  • Tables aren't same poker variant: Option #3

• Tables aren't same poker variant: Option #4

• Total voters
I’m rusty on this but I think it’s usually a first in first out type thing in a card room if no one volunteers to move from the must move table. In a home game I might grab a player based on position of the empty seat in the main game assuming everyone sat down at the same time.

I think you might be overthinking this though. If it’s a friendly-ish game, just merge the tables. Who cares, path of least resistance/effort. If somebody has an issue you can address it then.

If your home game is more serious, if the rotation or stakes are different and the table breaks, well it breaks and those players can buy in up to the max in the existing game.
I'm honestly just curious how others would do this. I've never had this issue, but the people I play with are pretty easy going for the most part. If I was hosting I could probably just do it whatever way I felt was most fair and most likely no one would complain.

EDIT: As stated above, some could see it as going south if new players have to buy-in again.

I think you might be overthinking this though. If it’s a friendly-ish game, just merge the tables. Who cares, path of least resistance/effort. If somebody has an issue you can address it then.
This. This is how it’s handled Normally at meetups. But you can make this as complicated as you want and argue semantics instead if you want. It’s not handled the same way every time probably, but it’s a Home Game.

I'm honestly just curious how others would do this. I've never had this issue, but the people I play with are pretty easy going for the most part. If I was hosting I could probably just do it whatever way I felt was most fair and most likely no one would complain.
That’s how I’d do it anyways.

It’s good to think about this stuff a little before it happens, and you’re exactly right to pose the hypothetical. You know your crew so I’d trust your gut, but (mostly) nice to get other perspectives.

How do you choose who moves? Random draw? Next BB?
I don't move anyone. I take volunteers to move if I need to balance tables, but only do that if I have two of the same running. I usually have a holdem and a circus. In the rare event it's two circus tables, usually the guy who is losing moves, to change things up.

And when I do have two circus games running, I'll combine at 8 players, and that just limits some of the games that can be called. It's not long before that drops back to 7 though.

I rarely run a 2 table cash game. It is too much work as host/banker. Perhaps if I had a dedicated dealer at at each table I’d consider it again.

but when I have done it, the first 8 players get to stay at the main table unless one of them volunteers to go to the second table.

main table will stay 8 handed and pull from the second table as needed. Players come back to the main table in the order they showed up.

that is how another host did it for several years and it worked well and had the game filled up right away because everyone wanted to make sure they were on the main table all night.

I'm assuming then that even if players kept leaving the "main table", you would just take players from the "must move table". How would that be decided on who moves, and would they bring their stack too? I could see people possibly being upset if some maniac bad player just stacked them and then got moved to the other table with all "their" chips.
I kept track of the order players arrived. Last in last to move.

I don't find a two table cash game all that much harder than a single table game.

Could you expand on this?
Cancellations were the biggest issue. Too many times we had multiple late cancellations that resulted in two short tables.

Once you have the game going and everyone shows up it is a piece of cake.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom