Cohesive set or hotter chips? (1 Viewer)

Which set are you having made?

• Total voters

JeepologyOffroad

Royal Flush
Site Vendor
Reaction score
So I’m sure others have faced a similar dilemma.

Getting down to the wire for ordering my first CPC customs. I have 2 very similar lineups made. Almost identical with only some spot color changes on a couple chips.

One is very cohesive throughout and very clean. The other is still cohesive, but not quite as clean... a couple of the individual chips in this lineup are just chips that look better to me by themselves.

For those that have gone before me - which decision did you make?

EDIT: BOTH lineups still have flow. One is just cleaner.

Last edited:
First things first...dibs on a sample set

Just my opinion, I think the best sets are made of the best combination of chips (colors, edge spots). That doesn’t mean that chips can’t be hot, bright etc...to me though the line up has to be cohesive

Haha doubtful on this one imo. Everyone has different tastes but I think we can all relate to the situation.

It’s a shit show of a set either way :)
Honestly, I think cohesive is generally better, but you could also make a secondary/shitshow version of a denom for fun....because of moar.

Just my opinion, I think the best sets are made of the best combination of chips (colors, edge spots). That doesn’t mean that chips can’t be hot, bright etc...to me though the line up has to be cohesive
Agreed. Both are still cohesive and flow. And both are no slouches chip wise.

One is just way cleaner and one has 2 of the main chips in play that are “better” (to me)

Last edited:

Agree with this. Sometimes you need a less spectacular chip to really make the stars of your lineup shine.

Honestly, I think cohesive is generally better, but you could also make a secondary/shitshow version of a denom for fun....because of moar.
I’m kidding mostly. Not really that much of a shit show. Pretty simple spots throughout for both lineups except for 1 chip

Never ordered a CPC set but if my opinion means anything, just go with what chips you actually like better. If they don't don't fit absolutely perfect in terms of cohesion, you'll get over it.

Agree with this. Sometimes you need a less spectacular chip to really make the stars of your lineup shine.
Agreed. Maybe it is tough to voice without pics lol.

The chips in questions aren’t spectacular chips I’d say either way so they don’t take away from the workhorse. Basic 3d14 and 212, but I just by far prefer the colors of one of the sets of chips on those 2 chips

I vote both.

A primary rack and a secondary rack. Worse on the wallet but then you get the best of both worlds. A cohesive set and one with some standouts.

I vote both.

A primary rack and a secondary rack. Worse on the wallet but then you get the best of both worlds. A cohesive set and one with some standouts.
If it was only a rack or 2 I would, but in this case it accounts for 600x

It is hard. I think long term you will be happier making a cohesive set. The stars shine brighter when they aren't competing.
Maybe hotter was the wrong choice of words. Chips still aren’t competing and are almost identical except for 1 spot on each.

Example:

3CAE55E5-576C-4A70-BDEB-A9F49DB272C5.png

I'd rather have chips that all work well together with no one chip as the superstar. Sure, I always have a favorite chip in any set, but I would rather not have that one chip be a standout. It's much harder, IMHO, to design a set where all the chips are equally great, and together make an awesome set. But when you do, instant HoF.

Cohesion.

I put together a mixed RHC set once. While I'm glad of the experience of having done it, it just didn't have much long term appeal to me. I could have kept it as a curiosity, but rather would have passed it along to someone else who could have gotten them into regular play. There's just too much competition for my chipping dollar to keep what I would consider a (relatively) sub-par set.

Hotter chips. Once you start picking colors or spot patterns simply because its what you're "supposed" to do in terms of proper progression you've constrained your enjoyment. Go with the chips you like.

A collection of cool individual chips usually doesn’t make for a great set. There have been several customs that copied all of their favorite chips and the set was a dud IMO.

without seeing the two line-ups it is hard to say how extreme you are talking though.

blind vote would be to go with the more cohesive design.

Hotter chips. Once you start picking colors or spot patterns simply because its what you're "supposed" to do in terms of proper progression you've constrained your enjoyment. Go with the chips you like.
This has been my gut, but getting down to the wire I started having second thoughts.

Results of the poll so far are slightly surprising as every single person I’ve actually shown the lineup to chose the less cohesive

This has been my gut, but getting down to the wire I started having second thoughts.

Results of the poll so far are slightly surprising as every single person I’ve actually shown the lineup to chose the less cohesive
Maybe the rest of us need to see it too then to make an accurate decision ;)

A collection of cool individual chips usually doesn’t make for a great set. There have been several customs that copied all of their favorite chips and the set was a dud IMO.

without seeing the two line-ups it is hard to say how extreme you are talking though.

blind vote would be to go with the more cohesive design.
Agreed completely. It’s not extreme at all I’d say. Only 1 spot color on each of the 2 chips in question are different. Neither set screams just fire chips for the sake of being fire imo

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom