Closing in on colors/spots for first CPC set + theme ideas (1 Viewer)

Some great creative juices here, I like it. The logo is stunning and the bounty chip is just gorgeous.

My recommendation would be to think about white space. If you’re willing to play around with sizes and position, you might find a layout that really makes your artwork pop.

The bounty chip, for example- could you use a concave arc?

The challenge is having a short name and a vertical logo. Do you need the name? I can think of gorgeous chips without a name- here are two.
View attachment 611808
View attachment 611809

Yes, size and position of the different elements is definitely a challenge for me in general. This was quickly done, so I didn't play around with it too much. But I will say that I quickly landed on this layout and liked it so much I saved a separate illustrator file just to preserve the look incase I messed around with it too much and lost this look forever.

Could you explain exactly what you mean about the concave arc? Do you mean a decorative border type of thing?

Thanks for the feedback!

By having “dealer” arc upward (as Lodge below), you can open the space a bit more and enlarge the logo.
1610326029679.png

So- not at all suggesting you copy the flamingo look, but you can see two other options. One puts the bird front and center, the other shifts it to the side with an emphasis on the club name.

If you draw inspiration from the $3, you could put the name on the sides (along the arc, letter tops in) and the denomination on top. Or vice-versa.

60862657-F568-4CF6-B0D4-BA8E1B7FB9E6.jpeg

With the $5, you could set Van card room up top, value left, and the logo right. Or value top, Van left at an angle to give the logo a nice spot on the right.
CD1690C2-210C-403E-9255-66C47CB8A781.jpeg

A lot of options and work to inspire, even take you in another direction. I’m confident your design will look amazing. Very much enjoying this thread.

Forgot to mention it's recommended you print your inlays to actual size and then hold them at arm's length. Looking at them this way will help determine if any elements of your artwork are too small. Given that you're using a 7/8" inlay, "Card Room" and "Los Angeles" appear to be very small if not illegible at arm's length.

By having “dealer” arc upward (as Lodge below), you can open the space a bit more and enlarge the logo.
View attachment 611821

So- not at all suggesting you copy the flamingo look, but you can see two other options. One puts the bird front and center, the other shifts it to the side with an emphasis on the club name.

If you draw inspiration from the $3, you could put the name on the sides (along the arc, letter tops in) and the denomination on top. Or vice-versa.

View attachment 611822

With the $5, you could set Van card room up top, value left, and the logo right. Or value top, Van left at an angle to give the logo a nice spot on the right.
View attachment 611823

A lot of options and work to inspire, even take you in another direction. I’m confident your design will look amazing. Very much enjoying this thread.
Here is the dealer button with the arc as you mentioned. I like it!

1610327984840.png

My inspiration for the button was the ES button (logo only and simple, sans-serif font on the word "dealer")

1610328130060.png

And you hit the nail on the head with the flamingo inspiration. This is what I used as loose inspiration for the inlay:

1610328175152.png

Forgot to mention it's recommended you print your inlays to actual size and then hold them at arm's length. Looking at them this way will help determine if any elements of your artwork are too small. Given that you're using a 7/8" inlay, "Card Room" and "Los Angeles" appear to be very small if not illegible at arm's length.
Yes I plan to do this once I replace the ink in my printer haha! Thank you :)

I think the button looks way better from that simple move.

Another option: bird on left, Van stacked over value on right. Also, nothing says the feet can’t lay behind something else (e.g., value).
1610401561499.jpeg

Variations on placement of the elements. The first one is how it was originally, and the second is the same with a larger bird and font.

Some of these I like much more than others. Also, I forgot to increase text size on some of them.
I'd love to hear what you guys think! :D

1610422936782.png

1610422020993.png
1610422038201.png
1610422063633.png
1610422079278.png
1610422112927.png
1610422135349.png
1610422154026.png
1610422167603.png
1610422187370.png

Decisions Decisions..... Have you given any thought to using non-circle shaped inlays?
I have, but I am already stretching my budget waaaaayyy beyond what it was originally.
45c per chip for scalloped wouldn't be the end of the world though now that I think about it :cautious:

3 & 5.

For #3, I’d be curious what this font style would look like on the CIP.
F707F735-9D49-4DD5-9BCF-4D90197D1DCD.jpeg

In place of this one:
BB2F5ECB-8C6C-4514-B94F-FA7758064F1F.png

For #5, can you shift things a bit? Are these cash or tournament? Space matters. What happens when you move the denom down and to the right? (Without it looking like the bird is pooping a hundy?) I’m thinking you could then slide the name left and down a bit (counterclockwise placement) and enlarge your bird keeping the bottom of the image where it is.

96955E47-BFA1-46BE-BCE9-7DC662299531.jpeg

The "The" and "Card Room" seem to play tricks with my eyes and distract a bit from the fantastic logo.

Consider laying out just three elements (bird + Van + denom) and then just have "The Van Cardroom" wrapped along the top and "Los Angeles" wrapped along the bottom?

I don't think you can go wrong ... these are going to look fabulous.

Over the last couple days I spent so much time messing around with the layout. I always come back to the original and like it more and more.
I feel like I am going a little crazy tweaking things here and there.

What I did was reach out to J5 to see if he had time to help clean it up and finalize for submission. I showed him all my variations and sent him my source files. He will hopefully help me to tweak the design (if necessary) and do things like make sure everything is centered correctly, fonts are large enough for legibility, and generally help me reach the nice classic design that can be passed down through the generations.

Thank you all so much for your feedback!!

I will likely let this thread die as it started out as a super broad, meandering thoughts thing and now I am narrowing down to submission to CPC. I will likely start a new thread when I hear back from J5 and have something much more concrete, ready for ordering! There, hopefully I can get feedback on any changes to the final details (mainly colors/spots and mold choice).

Hopefully sometime this year I will even have some Pr0n!

Any updates? This type of thing is one of my favs, Theme threads

4) Little Wing Card Room (Jimi Hendrix song)

You could expand this to be a Jimi theme, a song for each chip
Little Wing
If 6 was 9
Voodoo Child
Red House
That flag chip would be perfect for star spangled banner star
Foxy Lady

If you circle back to 5) Fhloston Paradise (The Fifth Element Reference)
I know you'll add 'Big bodda boom' in there...

Some great ideas here. I love that black Van inlay. I’m a big fan of non-white chips and inlays. Because dirt.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom