Cleaning and oiling CPC's (1 Viewer)

CPC's NEED oil!!

oiling.jpg

Slight thread derail, do CPCs seem to be a harder material than paulsons?
Based on falls my chips have taken, both CPC and Paulson, CPC is better in the durability category. At least for me. A dropped Paulson typically dents the spot that hits the floor.

CPC I’ve dropped in the same fashion don’t dent in the same way.

As well, I’ll give RHC even further negative points, since even splashing the pot with an RHC can render it damaged where the hat and cane meet the edge too close on some chips. I (someone) broke a Jack Detroit $500P on a maiden felting because of this. Just ridiculous.

CPC is better for durability. I’ll stand by this statement. Harder materials? Unknown to me

Based on falls my chips have taken, both CPC and Paulson, CPC is better in the durability category. At least for me. A dropped Paulson typically dents the spot that hits the floor.

CPC I’ve dropped in the same fashion don’t dent in the same way.

As well, I’ll give RHC even further negative points, since even splashing the pot with an RHC can render it damaged where the hat and cane meet the edge too close on some chips. I (someone) broke a Jack Detroit $500P on a maiden felting because of this. Just ridiculous.

CPC is better for durability. I’ll stand by this statement. Harder materials? Unknown to me
I noticed that RHC seem to have a rather soft feel. I dont have any true THC to compare to, just a sample set of WTHC, but they seem closer to CPC hardness than RHC hardness. CPC seems to be somewhat drier material than RHC as well if that makes sense.

Do they fade back to that condition after a while? Or is it more of a situation like oil them out of the box, then as long as they get played from time to time they’re good?

Well, I think that it depends on different factors (material of clay, humidity and temperature while storing them)… I have a set of 15 year old ASM and they have been played about 30times at max (shame on me). I oiled them 2 or 3 times in all these years, last time about 8 years ago. I just oiled the edges a bit. Once the clay is saturated it couldn’t take more oil and even that the last oiling has been a long time ago, I can slightly still „feel“ that they have been oiled, due to the smooth surface of these edges. After some ours of play/shuffling my fingers feels just a bit oily as well. Yes: these chips ain’t that shiny anymore, but on the other hand I have some concerns that another oiling process will have an effect on my speedcloth as well, even that this material is strong as hell and can stand some cleaning. Maybe some guys with a real felt/cloth can share their experiences on how oiled chips affect the felt itself and if there has to be some deep cleaning of the felt as well because of these oiled chips that getting shoved over the table ….

New chips looks awesome on arrival… and then you give them their first lube job, and they look even more spectacular!!!

My first CPC set got oiled 100% by hand, chip by chip. I think that was overkill.

For new CPC's now I'll:

1) Wipe down the rolling edge with a damp washcloth to remove lose factory dust. I do this a barrel at a time.
2) Wait 24 hrs for any moisture to evaporate.
3) Apply mineral oil to a clean washcloth and then apply to the rolling edge; also done a barrel at a time.
4) Wait 24 hrs and then absorb any excess oil on barrels with a quick wipe from a paper towel.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom