Cleaned Fracs (1 Viewer)

David O

Royal Flush
Supporter
Reaction score
I just got finished getting all of the fracs that I have been able to put together from a few folks on the forum. I forgot to get a before shot but many of these were in great condition others were great but dirty. I cleaned them using my ultrasonic and all of them came out looking good. Here is a pic of a little over 2 racks of Sam's Town fracs along with some more El Cortez I was able to pick up.

Not sure if I will oil them. It depends on how they look tomorrow after they dry. More pics in my gallery later!

Thank you for the help everyone that helped!

Also still looking for more El Cortez fracs. I have 3 different styles that make up about a rack and a half. If you have mixed in your rack and want to try and do one style in your rack please send me a pm!

IMG_4285.JPG

Here you go! Sorry about the lighting. Both pictures taken with my iPhone. Also all of the hot stamps were unchanged.
View attachment 151568 View attachment 151567
Many of these were pretty nasty. I am thinking that it was a kind of mold and not hooker juice. I was worried they would not clean but the old ultrasonic method did a pretty good job

Yes sir, I used the Lundmark brand and distilled water at ~110º for 1 minute. I found that using distilled makes a big difference.

Wow came out amazing, I know who to call now to help clean up my chips :)

I just got finished getting all of the fracs that I have been able to put together from a few folks on the forum. I forgot to get a before shot but many of these were in great condition others were great but dirty. I cleaned them using my ultrasonic and all of them came out looking good. Here is a pic of a little over 2 racks of Sam's Town fracs along with some more El Cortez I was able to pick up.

Not sure if I will oil them. It depends on how they look tomorrow after they dry. More pics in my gallery later!

Thank you for the help everyone that helped!

Also still looking for more El Cortez fracs. I have 3 different styles that make up about a rack and a half. If you have mixed in your rack and want to try and do one style in your rack please send me a pm!

View attachment 151561

David those look great!

I need to invest in an ultrasonic. After many nights burning the midnight oil cleaning chips, my wife told me just to buy one. :LOL: :laugh:

Which brand/model do you have?

David those look great!

I need to invest in an ultrasonic. After many nights burning the midnight oil cleaning chips, my wife told me just to buy one. :LOL: :laugh:

Which brand/model do you have?

I have an RCBS that I had from Reloading. I have heard that the the ones that you can get on Amazon for much cheaper do a great job. Many folks on this site have one. Go to Amazon and search for the following " 6L capacity, 200W heater, 180W ultrasonic" and they look like the picture below. If you get one with a drain that is very helpful. Make sure you use the Lundmark and Distilled water with a the salad spinner insert. If you decide to do it and need any help you can pm me anytime!

41+LhEcI57L._AC_US436_QL65_.jpg

I have an RCBS that I had from Reloading. I have heard that the the ones that you can get on Amazon for much cheaper do a great job. Many folks on this site have one. Go to Amazon and search for the following " 6L capacity, 200W heater, 180W ultrasonic" and they look like the picture below. If you get one with a drain that is very helpful. Make sure you use the Lundmark and Distilled water with a the salad spinner insert. If you decide to do it and need any help you can pm me anytime!

View attachment 151610

Thanks!

Reactions: DMZ
Very nice. Have any before pictures?

I have an RCBS that I had from Reloading. I have heard that the the ones that you can get on Amazon for much cheaper do a great job. Many folks on this site have one. Go to Amazon and search for the following " 6L capacity, 200W heater, 180W ultrasonic" and they look like the picture below

Yeah, that's the one I have. I took it to the Melee last year and several people used it, with excellent results.

Great work. What a difference .
I'm not sure why I don't have an ultrasonic yet.

So as a follow up....

I ended up with 2 racks of the Sam's Club that I am going to keep in the collection. Actually need 7 more with with perfect hot stamps and I am set. The 7 have pretty good hot stamps but do not match the others on condition. So now the Sams Sam's town set is a little over 500 chips! I guessI may need to go harvest a rack of 5's
IMG_8525.JPG
IMG_2089 2.JPG

I also got up to 120 El Cortez Fracs the only thing is I have threes different versions that make up the rack. The version I have most of is the Block letters with larger "El Cortez" (far left) and then about ~20 of the smaller block letters (on right) and the rest are the more fancy script. I would love to get them all the same so if you are in the same boat then let's make a trade.

IMG_4858.JPG

And then there are the chips I am culling out. These will most likely be sold or traded. Most are either still dirty and have hot stamps are faded or incomplete. Let me know if you are interested. @ovo will have first right of refusal since I know he collects the same. 18 Sam's Town 13 El Cortez, 2 small bloc and one large block El Cortez.
IMG_2992.JPG

Nice job on the cleanup David. Did you use a lower temp on the ultrasonic? I tested a really poor condition hot stamped frac in my ultrasonic and after only 60 sec had some foil disruption without much cleaning effect. Went with hot water/Dawn/toothbrush technique instead for the rest.

I will send you a detailed breakdown of what I have via PM...I need to take a more detailed inventory my similarly mish-mashed El Cortez/Sams Town mix, but I also have a few that need to be culled out. Sitting at 190, need 10 to finish second rack but I also I have about 10 chips that your culled chips would be an upgrade on.

I did these this AM followed the tutorial to the T and ran an for 90 seconds
20180206_101214.jpg
20180206_101238.jpg
20180206_100955.jpg
20180206_100504.jpg
20180206_110852.jpg
20180206_110856.jpg
20180206_110844.jpg

The camera truly is not catching the initial filth of these.

yes so far they look tons better, I'll see how they look when they get a little oil on them. The RR pass fracs were some of the worst that I had, and some have some discoloration, from some old batch or mold, but they came put better than expect so far. One must have some UV fading on one edge, it was not noticeable before

Yes sir, I used the Lundmark brand and distilled water at ~110º for 1 minute. I found that using distilled makes a big difference.
Huh? I've soaked hot stamped chips in fake tsp and it's taken the hotstamps off. Is it okay for 60 seconds in an ultrasonic, but not a 10 minute soak?

I honestly think it depends on the hotstamp (foil.) Apparently they're not all the same -- I've seen hotstamps that were basically impervious to TSP, and I've seen others that TSP starts attacking almost immediately. I think the best method is to try one or two at first and see how it goes.

Huh? I've soaked hot stamped chips in fake tsp and it's taken the hotstamps off. Is it okay for 60 seconds in an ultrasonic, but not a 10 minute soak?
I will preface by saying...Always test a chip or two before proceeding but yes. In my experience the fake TSP does not alter the hot stamps in a quick ultrasonic cleaning. Make sure you follow the recipe in the original ultrasonic thread.

I have done literally over 1000 hot stamped Paulson chips and not cannot recall one hot stamp that was messed up. Also make sure you put them in a rinse shortly after running them in the TSP ultrasonic!

David O

Probably, but not always. In my experience, cleaning results and conditions will vary based on many things, including:
1) Strength of cleaning solution
2) Temperature of water/cleaning solution
3) Time in cleaning solution.
4) Method of agitation in cleaning solution. (i.e. are chips just sitting still, or are chips being turned/rotated/touched with a brush, etc.)
5) Quality/condition of hotstamp before cleaning. (example - if there's a lot of surface dirt on the face of the chip to begin with then the foil on the hotstamp may be more likely to come off along with the dirt, or have some degradation of the hotstamp.)

Always test, especially with hotstamps, - start with lower temps, lower strength solution, & shorter times and go up from there.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom