Chips Stink After Use (2 Viewers)

Davism72

Flush
Reaction score
Does this happen to you guys? They just smell dirty. Like sweaty hands. I don't really want to hand wash all these chips after every use.

Does this happen to you guys? They just smell dirty. Like sweaty hands. I don't really want to hand wash all these chips after every use.

What kind of chips? Paulson's can pick up smells but it tends to fade pretty quickly on my experience.

Hasn't happened to me, or at least I haven't noticed smells on new clean chips. Could the smells in the chips have come from the room/air (like from cigarette or cigar smoke), or the playing surface? Or do you think they smells are being picked up from the players hands?

Brand new chips? Did you use mineral oil on them before playing?

If not, this could be a good case study/real life example to determine if mineral oil would actually help coat clay chips to prevent 'smelly stuff' from getting into the chips, like sweat, hand oils, dead skin cells, food oils, etc. I'd suggest a quick clean in a sink with warm/hot water and dish soap (or ultrasonic), see if that removes the smell, and then give the chips a good coat of mineral oil, and see if that helps next time.

A cigar smoker perhaps? That scent can stick to your hands. "What kind of stink?" is the real question here.

Could always have your players wash hands before sitting down. May be smart considering current virus concerns

Some of them smoke, but not so much that it would have been a real problem. It honestly doesn't like smoke, either. They just smell dirty. Like earth and sweat, I guess.

I'll try to give them a bath. Might be time to get an ultrasonic, because I truly hate hand scrubbing chips.

@AWenger, no they hadn't been oiled yet. They'll definitely get a coat after being washed.

Never noticed any smell from dice to plastic slugged to CC to ceramics.
You've got some pretty unreal CCs if you can't smell that smell.

Or else I've got some of the worst, most putrid CCs on the planet. They smell bad and there is no other way to say it

You've got some pretty unreal CCs if you can't smell that smell.

Or else I've got some of the worst, most putrid CCs on the planet. They smell bad and there is no other way to say it

Aside from sample sets, my only CC set are the Royals which are known to have very little smell. After initial cleaning, oiling and months of play, they are odor neutral.

My point above is that none of my sets, which are all different materials, pickup the stank of greasy fingers and sweaty men.

I always thought China Clays had a weird odor that was resolved by airing it out in a room for like 36 hours or some stuff.
Done this air out attempt with my Milanos..the smell invariably comes back. I'd say it's in the manufacturing of the chip.

Royals have it too. I have samples, and while I agree, they are not nearly as smelly, the same disgusting foot odor is present. I've taken a few hits to confirm.

These things are always subjective to each person too. I just can't stand it.

My Royals had a plasticy smell when they first arrived. It was more chemically than organic. But it dissipated quickly after cleaning, and through use and some time.

Until this week, they lived in an Apache case that was water tight. After opening it, I didn't notice anything in terms of smell.

My Royals had a plasticy smell when they first arrived. It was more chemically than organic. But it dissipated quickly after cleaning, and through use and some time.

This is hard to argue against. You've had some real time experience with the Royals, and so I'd have to agree with ya.

I do also like the Royals. Sick CCs. No doubt.

Guess I'd have to consider a set someday.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom