Chip protection (1 Viewer)

crowflush

Reaction score
Will clear nail polish , help in protecting my chips from scratching or fading ? I custom made some chips with stickers so I want to seal in the design and contrast of the chips. Would this help as an alternative to acrylic spray and varnish .

Confused Trailer Park Boys GIF

Maybe OP is asking about applying something on the sticker to make it more like an inlay, and not about coating the whole chip? I dunno, photos would help.

, there is the chip. I wanna cover it with something, to protect the sticker

Attachments

• IMG_20230907_152500.jpg
    IMG_20230907_152500.jpg
    129.5 KB · Views: 95
Maybe OP is asking about applying something on the sticker to make it more like an inlay, and not about coating the whole chip? I dunno, photos would help.
I was thinking the same, like the Paulson Pharaohs chips has a kind of enamel(?) covering the center label and seals it to the chip.
That’s a good way to make it permanent and waterproof.
I don’t know about doing it to the entire chip though. I’m sure that mineral oil would be enough to protect against water/moisture. Enamel will add weight to it and possibly discolor it as well.

I forgot to mention that some chemicals might disintegrate the label too (especially paper labels)! Use scrap material similar to the label to see how the enamel/epoxy/whatever reacts with it.

Last edited:
Assuming that chip is not rare, it's probably easier just to let wear and tear take its course and then replace with a new sticker if it starts peeling.

But for science! If you have a few to spare, try it out and let us know how the shuffling and stacking feels afterwards.

Ok, so it's generally a bad idea to put stickers on chips without a recess. It just leads to issues when the sticker's edge is left exposed like that. I'd leave it as is and get some chips with a recess to redo it better later, maybe.

Out of curiosity, what is that chip you have put the sticker on?

You want to protect this one chip, sure you can buy ‘Air tite’ to protect a single chip

Can you tell us more about the chip? Where did you get it?

the Paulson Pharaohs chips has a kind of enamel(?) covering the center label and seals it to the chip.
No they do not, this is false.

The underlying printed inlay has a protective plastic laminate, and it is pressed into the clay chip during production with heat and pressure.

There is no enamel or other chemical-based substance used, nor does it (or anything else) cause the inlay to be adhered to the chip.

No they do not, this is false.

The underlying printed inlay has a protective plastic laminate, and it is pressed into the clay chip during production with heat and pressure.

There is no enamel or other chemical-based substance used, nor does it (or anything else) cause the inlay to be adhered to the chip.

Thanks for that info!
I wasn’t sure what made that glossy finish to it.
So the graphic inlay is a sticker below the laminate, and the laminate is melted/pressed into the chip to form a seamless bond to the chip?

Thanks for that info!
I wasn’t sure what made that glossy finish to it.
So the graphic inlay is a sticker below the laminate, and the laminate is melted/pressed into the chip to form a seamless bond to the chip?
The label is laminated, but it's not a sticker.

Envision a sheet of thin clear plastic that has adhesive on one side, applied to a sheet of paper or thin vinyl that contains dozens of round printed images. Once attached, the round shapes are punched out to create the inlays.

Take a separately made clay slug (with or without clay inserts, which will become the 'edge spots') and attach an inlay to each side (tiny dab of adhesive to keep it from moving), then place the slug into the lower mold cup and place the upper mold cup on top.

Add the necessary heat, pressure, and time needed for the machinery to soften the slug enough to take on the mold's unique characteristics and bond the inlays flush into the chip.

Once the pressed chip has cooled, grind or lathe the excess material on the rolling edge to the desired diameter.

That's how compression-molded chips are made.

The specific processes and procedures used vary by manufacturer (materials, time, pressure, heat, equipment, and capacity). Some processes press one or two slugs at a time, others may press up to 20 or more at once.

Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom